Playing Civ II game for 10 years!

I’ve had a lot of problems getting most of my games to work in Win7. They worked fine in Win XP, but when I tell the Win 7 computer to run in XP mode, it crosses its arms, sticks out its tongue, and says “not GONNA”.

I’ve been thinking of buying Civ II for the PS2, because I DO still have a working PS2. My Win XP gave up the ghost about a year and a half ago.

The easiest answer is often to run a virtual Win98 machine using VMware (or equivalent). DOS games, games requiring old drivers or codecs to run etc…, no problem.

That’s the thing I’m the most puzzled about: how come neither of his AI opponents have gone for Alpha Centauri by now ? I don’t remember if you could disable victory conditions back in Civ II…

They have. The game has been won, a decade ago, by someone, either through a diplomatic victory (UN) or a space race. He claims to not remember who. But the game allows you to keep playing if you want, ad infinitum.

There’s a dedicated subreddit for what they’re calling The Eternal War. The guy’s uploaded a copy of the saved game and people have been giving it a go to try and end the war. Looks like a few people have even succeeded.

Fun story and that screenshot brings back the memories. I remember those spies were ridiculously overpowered and they featured prominently in my late game military strategy. And those ski units; forget what they were called; they were cool but never seemed that useful. Perhaps they become important if you have huge amounts of pollution.

“Just…one…more…turn…”

The drones needed him, and looked up to him.

A little while back I was moving stuff between hard drives and making the “What’s worth saving” decisions when I came across my old Civ2 “mods” folder. My collected or hand-drawn unit graphics, stat modifications, I even amended the Civilopedia to reflect my new units/technologies despite me being the only one who’d ever see it.

I haven’t played Civ2 in years but I still couldn’t let that folder go.

Right, I knew that :smack:

OK I realize this could hijack the thread, but since you specifically made that comment, and also because I found this link surfing from that Civ2 thread on reddit …

check this dude’s collection out…link

I still play Civ II regularly. It’s the only game I play with any sort of frequency really. I find it’s easy to have a quick game while doing other things.

Yeah, it’s pretty clear that there’s a stalemate because he’s not interested in breaking it. It’s exceedingly unlikely that no player is actually capable of winning, since even a small victory is going to start generating an increasing advantage as the game goes on. If he’s not winning, it’s because he isn’t trying.

If you read some of the posts, he admits it’s because he was using engineers to try to clean up some of the pollution at the same time.

It’s even more unlikely that no player is capable of winning, considering that a player has already won using that saved game. He disbanded a bunch of engineers, sold off a bunch of useless improvements (e.g. libraries, universities and courthouses) and started churning out howitzers. It took him almost 60 more turns, though.

Well, true. But I meant “no player in that game”, like one of the computers or the human. It’s theoretically possible that the particular human playing this game wasn’t skilled enough to win, but the chance that he’s exactly skilled enough to maintain a steady state is very unlikely.

It’s not too far-fetched if you consider a human playing against two extremely defensive AI players (e.g. they destroy any units you send out but they never attack).

As a Packer fan, that’s part of my ultimate plan, as well…though I’d then move on to obliterating the Bears and Cowboys. :smiley:

I’ve played Civ II. The AIs aren’t that defensive (or particularly hard to outsmart) :slight_smile:

But, yes, there could be such a game.

Don’t get me wrong – I’ve never had a stalemate situation in Civ II, either (and I used to play it a lot). But I’ve been in winning situations and losing situations (particularly at the highest difficulty level), so it’s not inconceivable for me to imagine an equilibrium. I’d probably quit playing long before that point, though; I like to win. :wink: