Please recommend some good Hip-Hop.

Can you handle the fact that you’re overreacting? I wasn’t condescending towards you at all.

All I said was: "With all due respect, Canthearya, I don’t think there is very much jazz influence in Nelly’s, Ludacris’, or Eminem’s styles. " That’s it.

I am now typing a 5000 word email essay on how sorry I am for being rude to you; you should get it via email very shortly.

I really don’t care whether it’s called trip hop or hip hop. I just wanna hear some jazz samples over a hip hop beat, tasteful and muscial. The smokier the better. I definately do shy away from what I think are hackneyed rhymes. I don’t like when people rhyme for the sake of it and I don’t dig on entreaties to “Come On! Come on! Yo!” That just drives me nuts. So far I particularly like the melancholic feel to “I Neva Knew” by Aceyalone.

Coming right up.
Anti-Pop Consortium- Tragic Epilogue: Unusual beats, and intense rhymes with very fluid production

Bahamadiap- Kollage: I first caught her when she was MC’ing with Roni Size, her debut EP and first album are both excellent, plus she’s a hometown Philly girl

Blackalicious- Nia, Blazing Arrow: Mention their name in the square community and you get stares and sometimes laughs but this duo (Chief Xcel and Gift of Gab) is among the best in underground hip hop today, soulful, snappy, and a strong social consciousness message

Dan The Automator- A Much Better Tomorrow: Dan Nakamura aka Automator is the most innovative producer working today, everything he touches turns to underground gold (Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Lovage, Gorillaz), his solo album release is much darker and more laid back than his work for other artists

DJ Logic- Presents Project Logic: Saw him open for Medeski, Martin, and Wood, he takes their Nu Jazz sound and livens it up with scratches and samples

Haiku d’Etat: Aceyalone is back at it again, also check him out with The Freestyle Fellowship

Solesides AKA Quannum- Spectrum: An underground hip hop super group collaboration,
Blackalicious, Latyrx, Jurassic 5, DJ Shadow, El-P, this is a lyrical playground for the absolute best MC’s in the business

Ozomatli: Cut Chemist and Chali 2na of J5 pick up an authentic 5 piece Latin salsa band and create a unique musical experience

Peanut Butter Wolf- My Vinyl Weighs a Ton: Anything on the Stones Throw label is sure to surpass the competition and this artist is their crown jewel

Prince Paul- A Prince Among Thieves: A Hip Hop Opera as innovative and compelling as Tommy is to rock from a man who has been living Hip Hop since he DJed for old schoolers Stetsasonic in 1986 at age 16

Ugly Duckling- Journey To Anywhere: White guys with lyrical skill, and an ear for funky samples

Zion I- Mind over Matter: Chilled out Hip Hop with an unexpected Drum n’ Bass twist
These artists blur the lines between Trip Hop, Acid Jazz, Illbient, House, and Hip Hop:
DJ Mark Farina- Mushroom Jazz: Mellow electric jazz blend with just a touch of funk

DJ Shadow- Endtroducing, Preemptive Strike: Umm… simply two of the greatest Trip Hop albums of all time, he took sampling to a whole new level (his newest release “The Private Press” is good also but can’t live up to his previous work)

Kid Loco- Jesus Life For Children Under 12 Inches: Massively chilled and trippy

Kruder & Dorfmeister: Two of the top trip hop DJs, Peter Kruder has his own album called Peace Orchestra, and Richard Dorfmeister also releases under the name Tosca, and all are worth a listen

Massive Attack- Blue Lines, Mezzanine: Arguably the biggest name in downtempo music, without fail you’ll recognize at least five tracks from tv, movies, and commercials (MTV uses great artists for the background music for the promos for really shitty sell out ones, it really pisses me off)

Nightmares on Wax- Carboot Soul, DJ Kicks: A personal favorite, the Studio K7
DJ Kicks release is a phenomenal Hip Hop DJ set mixed to perfection, check out the track “Swamp Fever” by John Cameron

Prefuse 73- Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives: A new act that deserves all the hype its been receiving, this falls into the Illbient genre pioneered by DJ Spooky, its trip hop meets the twighlight zone with a tight MC.

Thievery Corporation- The Mirror Conspiracy: Two excellent D.C. area DJ’s my close friend has had the pleasure to meet at their place the always chill Eighteenth Street Lounge

cainxinth, thank you. :slight_smile:

You’re right, mouthbreather.

And your last sentence cracked me up. I look forward to your dissertation.

:smiley:

I worked feverishly through the night, I am now up to 4300 words. Look for it today. :wink:

Some of the early Dope on Plastic compilations would fit the bill for jazz/hip-hop nicely.

Personally, I would very highly recommend getting hold of Dope on Plastic, Volume 1. Although some of the contents are fairly obscure, the tunes are a perfect mix – in particular, Is it a Wizard, or a Blizzard? and Conversations with Julian Dexter.

Moving away from hip-hop, but into more instrumental trip-hop-styled acid jazz, I always recommend Red Snapper; the albums Reeled and Skinned and Prince Blimey are unbeatable, although you may prefer Making Bones (which includes more vocals from guest MCs and singers).

And the perfect complement to Red Snapper is Lamb.

“Fear of fours” or “what sound” are superb.
If you want more real live jazz played over break beats / hip hop beats:

We have Courtney Pine on sax, Ronny Jordan on guitar (Quiet Revolution or The Antidote. DON’T buy Light to Dark) and Bugge Wesseltoft or Erik Truffaz on horn.

Jazzanova also do the Jazz/hip hop interface, in fact pretty much anything on the Compost label fits the bill. Try any of the Future Sound of Jazz compilations for a jumping off point.

Going along with cainxinth’s suggestion of Guru (I assume the Jazzmatazz series?), if you’re looking for hip-hop with a more hip-hop flavor, Guru’s other project, Gang Starr, is definitely worth a listen.

I’ll just second a couple that were already mentioned.

Us3’s “Hand on the Torch” is a great album. It is almost completely based on a jazz background with liberal smapling thrown in. Very smooth sound and you get good horns in most songs.

De La Soul’s “De La Soul is Dead” is a great cd with a plethora of songs that are easy to get into the groove that you hear. Less jazz based, but pulls from a wide variety of influences and easily creates a mellow feel that permeates a good portion of the songs. And, the lyrics tend to be a whole lot more than “Look at my cars, money, and hos.”

Of course, I am nothing more than a blue eyed soul brother, so I may be a little off in my critiques.

Check out some old Beatnuts. Their new stuff is mainstreamy crap, and a lot of their older stuff can be hit-and-miss, but their Stone Crazy is smoky and sample-heavy.

Everything else I could recommend has been mentioned already. Tribe, De La Soul (old), the Roots, Mos Def (also see: Black Star), and DEFINITELY check out Blackalicious. You might like the Black Eyed Peas, also. Behind the Front is decent and may fit your description. Outkast is also great.
Blackhawkeye, where did you come from? I thought no one had ever heard of Sage Francis but me.

I’m new, but yopu can find more of us at the non-prophets.com message board.