Point me towards some good trashy fantasy fiction?

I would agree with Eddings - both are good reads…

I have had Feist recomended to me but have yet to read.

You could Give Rober Jordan - Wheel of Time a go - no dragons more sword and sorcery type.

For fun - Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards - its got dragons in it…

and Piers Anthony - Xanth - Land of Magic with dragons - mostly on the perifery but some have dragons as a main part of the story.

Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman

Interesting. That would, in particular, explain Knight of the Demon Queen.

bldysabba, your spoiler is only sort of right. Might be worth a re-read, if you’re that type.

ETA: Oh, also, YoDoc’s recommendation is very good.

I always liked Brian Daley’s Doomfarers of Coramonde. There was a somewhat less good sequel, Starfollowers of Cormamonde.

The characters are all over-the-top caricatures (almost Mary Sues) with powers and abilities, but that’s what you want in trashy fantasy, right? And there’s a dragon named Chaffinch (ironically), although he’s a “bad guy.”

And they drive an M-113 APC into Hell. Actual Hell, not metaphorical.

Trashy? The Gor series by John Norman. Edgar Rice Burroughs for kinksters.

I read The Eyre Affair earlier this year. It had its moments but was mostly meh for me.

Dunno about “trashy,” but…

God’s Demon by Wayne Barlowe is a very interesting book about a top demon in Hell leading a rebellion against Satan in order to return to God’s presence in Heaven. Very interesting - even rather touching by the end. Barlowe is better known as a sf/fantasy illustrator - his Barlowe’s Inferno is an unsettling, illustrated tour of Hell (owing a lot to Dante, of course) that goes well with God’s Demon.

The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle is a good short stand-alone fantasy novel.

The Worm Ouroboros, by E. R. Eddison, is among the first true high fantasy novels. It’s a classic of men with huge muscles who can take out entire armies, mysterious dark-haired ladies with secrets to hide, big battles, intrigue, and larger-than-life everything.

The * Eyre Affair * is probably the best of the Thursday Next books. After the first, the “Book World” takes over and it’s just so precious and twee that it really ruins the surreal bizarreness of Thursday’s actual world.

Shades of Grey is much better – the world is surreal but there’s a strange logic underlying it all.

Eh, I particularly liked the “Book World,” and I seem to recall enjoying the third volume the most. To each his own.

The world was fantastic. I’m not much for world building as a rule if it’s given precedence over the story, but Shades of grey did the world building as such an organic part of the story, and the world was so consistent and unique that I really walked away from the book very impressed.

I am indeed that type, and will pull it out again. Have also added the Coldfire trilogy in the to-read stack.

Sounds fun. Added.

Much as I love me some Tarzan, I could never quite get into his other books, and the Gor series just seems to be similar, but, as you say, for kinksters. Think I’ll give it a pass :slight_smile:

God’s Demon seems to be set in a hell very similar to Mike Carey’s Sandman spin-off “Lucifer”. I wonder if that came from Dante, since that’s where their version of Lucifer was from.
I quite liked The Last Unicorn. Very well written.

That’s an interesting recommendation. And only 3$ for the Kindle edition. Will get it.

She also has a book called The Spirit Ring, set in alternate renaissance Italy.

You might try the rest of the Sharing Knife quadrology [4 books, quad, right? :confused:]

I enjoyed the first 5 or so. After that Norman became way too obsessed with the whole breaking-a-slave thing.

I understand that there are thirty novels in the series. I think I made it through the first six and gave up. I was a teenager at the time and I got pulled in by the cover art (Boris Vallejo).

That book is available for free also, since it’s so old I presume.

link

I’m not sure it would be reasonable to characterize anything Tim Powers has written as “trashy.”

Ah. I really should have thought to check myself, but you saved me some needless expense. Thanks for pointing that out!

Yes. I was VERY excited when that book came out, as Dragonsbane has been one of my all-time favorite books. What a disappointment the next two books in the series was. I think that she was in the “anger and denial” stages when she wrote those particular books. I read her website and livejournal occasionally, so I sometimes know what she’s doing and feeling.

I’ve tried to like the January series, but I just can’t get into it. I’ve been buying digital copies of her fantasy works that are set at least partially in another world, such as the Untutored Mage and the Windrose chronicles. She’s written some Further Adventures of her old characters, and I need to figure out how to get them onto my Nook, as they’re only available online. The publishing house that offers her digital copies needs to have a HUMAN proofreader go through the books, though. The software seems to think that “th” = “m” and vice versa. So instead of “me” the word is rendered as “the”, or the other way around. Very distracting. But I keep buying up the older books, as I know from experience that I’ll read dead tree versions to tatters.

It’s worth noting that the warriors in Gor ride around on giant eagles. They figure most prominently in the first book, Tarsman of Gor, (the giant eagles are called “tarns”) and the kink is toned way down in the first book compared to the later books.

I’m not a fantasy fiction kind of guy but these are REALLY good!