Poll: How many books have you read so far in your life?

Thousands as well. People who say “I don’t read” with pride frighten me. :eek: :frowning:

I’ve wondered before how many books I’ve read. I know I’d be E, but I wonder how many on top of that.

We have a few thousand books in the house. Eep. It sounds bad when I write it like that, like an excessive number of books.

Age might be relevant here. I’m E to the E :smiley: – but I’m 50 years old, learned to read when I was 4, and have been reading busily ever since.

Plus, of course, this board skews the results big time.

Now I feel like I hardly read at all, compared to you folks.

If anyone wants to kill a huge amount of time, go to www.iblist.com and rate all the books you can remember. They won’t have everything, especially if, like me, you read mysteries. I’m only up to 113.

These are all English words, but put together like that? They just don’t make sense.

Well, yeah. I just felt like a big nerd in a room full of big nerds. I do have a life! Really! It’s around here somewhere, probably under a pile of books.

You can have too many books?

I think my answer is E, too. We own at least four hundred books (in a small apartment!), and I’ve been an avid library-goer since I was six. That’s twenty-one years. A while back I tried to list everything I could remember reading, and I got about five hundred. Those were the ones that stuck out in my memory.

I re-read constantly, so I’m always reading something, but I probably only read one or two new books a week.

I work in a bookstore, too, which is an endless source of temptation and delight.

Definitely E. Hell, I may be way past Z and heading into the Greek alphabet by now. I love to read. I must read. Telling me I can’t read is like telling me to stop breathing.

I think I hit 1,000 in the third grade. I can’t imagine how many books I’ve read, total, in my life.

That makes the Baby Barnes & Noble cry.
As for the OP: I’d have to say somewhere between D & E. I own a couple of hundred books. I have a bunch in boxes, waiting for shelving.
Gotta think about this one. Have I read 1,000 books? I bet it’s pretty close.

I always have at least one book going, usually two.
As Zabali_Clawbane said, people who are proud of the fact that they never read are just downright scary. It’s scary to go into someone’s home and not see any books anywhere - or to see great built-in bookshelves - covered with knickknacks and photos and junk, but no books.

I scout out the thrift stores and used books stores for a lot of my book purchases - I buy some new, but I’ve gotten a lot secondhand. The library has some great sales, too.

E. Thousands.

It feels like I’ve read E) in the current school year alone.

Over my whole life? E, surely. I can’t give an exact number, I’ve never kept track.

As to the total book count side topic that’s sprung up, you’re in luck: I’ve been renovating my library (doing the whole purpose-built room with the built-in shelves and stuff) and started a catalogue of its contents (before I worked under the “that sounds familiar–I think the book is somewhere in this area–it was green, right?” system). There are precisely 1885. Not all of them are novels or over a hundred pages, but a good 80% are both.

E. 3000 - 4000. At a guess.

I know I’ve read several hundred books, possibly over a thousand, but I haven’t been keeping count. I have over a hundred books on my shelves and in boxes, but I may have to thin out the herd when I move, because they’re a pain to lug around.

E++. I’d probably read more than 700 before I hit double digits.

Okay, I’ll go with this formula. I know some times it was more than one book a week, but sometimes it was less.
Anyway, one book a week, since I was… say, seven (that’s about when I remember starting to really read a lot - Pippi Longstocking, Nancy Drews), my count is 1,768. :eek:
Holy cow!

(I’ll be 41 next week, so going with 34 years, 52 weeks in a year, 1,768 books.)

I probably only read a book a week. Probably somewhere between 1000 and 1500.

Sometimes I read 2 or 3 books in a week but some weeks I don’t even read if I’m too busy.

I’ve probably started about 3000 though.

I’ve also probably listened to about 200 unabridged audiobooks in my life too.

Is anyone else having a ‘number of gay sex partners in San Francisco’ moment?