Poorly Done Moments in Otherwise Good Movies

In Fargo, the scene where Marge meets up with the old boyfriend, the Asian guy, who tries to hit on her. It seems a bit awkward, and doesn’t really tie in to anything else in the movie.

Fight scenes in Raging Bull.

Raise your damn arms, Bob, you are completely open. It’s Rocky IV all over again.

In Up, the dinner scene. Things move so fast, faster than they should. People don’t just cycle through their emotions all at once like that. What made it worse was that the movie was normally so good about its pacing, too. Just that one scene was rushed.

Haven’t we been over this a hundred times?

The significance of that scene is to show Marge actually believes his story. Then later she’s talking to an old friend about Mike and the old friend tells Marge Mike was full of shit. Upon realizing she was being played, she suspects in other aspects of her life she is potentially being played also. Such as by Jerry Lundegard. That’s when she decides to go reinterview him and when he flees mid-questioning.

The 1978 version of Superman. Things are moving along, then Superman takes Lois flying, and the movie screeches to a halt while Lois, in voiceover, recites the most treacly, vomit-inducing poem in movie history.

“You can fly!! You belong in the sky!!” ::barf::

It could’ve been worse – she could’ve sung it.
That “poem” is pretty clearly the lyrics for the “Superman” theme from that movie. They fit the meter perfectly. I think I have heard someone singing it, somewhere.

But it seems as silly as singing the lyrics to the “Bonanza” theme.

I actually have a different gripe with Fellowship of the Ring: there’s one particular moment of the scene with Gandalf and the Balrog that just seems…off. It’s just after Gandalf has shouted “you shall not pass!” and brought down his staff, and the camera zooms out (around 1:33 in the Youtube video). The CG in that shot just seems so wonky to me that I never fail to notice it whenever I rewatch it. It’s especially odd considering the rest of the scene is so beautifully done. This might just be me, though, since I know next to nothing about CG effects.

I think it was magnetic buckshot, wasn’t it? Which makes slightly more sense…but then everything else in the movie was stupid, which invalidates the premise of the OP.

I have no problems with the Balrog scene, but the one I came in to post comes just moments earlier. It’s when Gandalf risks a little more light, to show the fellowship “behold…the great dwarven realm of Dwarrowdelf”, and we pull back to see a really cheap and obvious CGI green screen, of infinitely repeated columns. :rolleyes: Really. All the fantastic fx in the trilogy, and that one shot seemed phoned in.

Ah…that’s true.
That said, Galadriel going all bitch-crazy didn’t bother me as much as Arwen’s equestrian tsunami.

Maybe they couldn’t get the rights to Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap?

It’s actually the lyrics for the love theme that’s playing at the time, Can You Read My Mind, written by John Williams and Leslie Bricusse.

Yup – but the theme is exactly the same as the Superman Theme that runs through the entire movie, including the “Superman Overture” that opens it.

The Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. That scene was way too long and really didn’t fit with the rest of the film.

Is it that you didn’t like the way it was done, or you didn’t like the idea of the scene itself? Because that’s directly from the book. (Except it was Glorfindel, not Arwen.)

:smiley: I had to look that one up.

Nope, it was Elrond with some help from Gandalf.

And the horses were actually Gandalf’s added little touch, as I recall.

I haven’t seen the film lately, but it seems to me that when Legolas jumps on the cave troll’s back he transforms from a flesh-and-blood actor to a rubber-limbed videogame character. For some reason the other SFX scenes don’t bother but that one does.

I’m sure I’ve ranted about this before. But in Jaws, we have the problem of Ben Gardner’s boat. I don’t think Spielberg originally intended there to be a severed head in that boat, and the dialog reflects it. After the boat scene, we get the debate with the mayor…with my comments inserted.

Brody: And there's no limit to what he's gonna do. I mean, we've already had three incidents. Two people killed inside of a week **[The girl and little Alex Kintner...so we're not counting Ben Gardner, I guess ]** and it's gonna happen again. 

Hooper: Look, Mr. Vaughn. Mr. Vaughn, I pulled a tooth the size of a shot glass out of the wrecked hull of a boat out there, and it was the tooth of a Great White.
Brody: It was Ben Gardner’s boat. It was all chewed up. I helped tow it in. You should have seen it. [it had the severed head of Ben Gardner in it, too!]

Mayor Vaughn : Where, where is that tooth? Did you see it, Brody?..(To Hooper) And what did you say the name of this shark is?..You don’t have the tooth.

Hooper: [I saw the severed head of Ben Gardner! What the hell do you want!!]

Rejected slogan for the 1975 Amity Island Regatta souvenir t-shirt.