Prince vs. Michael Jackson

There’s a lot of really good commentary here - DiosaBellissima’s post in particular resonates with me. I am a MJ devotee, since I was a nipper - I discovered the Jackson 5’s Third Album in my parents’ collection at 4 or so, and was hooked from then on out. Through the 70s, to the 80s, the Thriller phenomenon, and the post-Biggest Album of All Time era.

Prince, we discovered around '81 - “I Want to be Your Lover” was a hit and we saw him on American Bandstand. In a leopard-print bikini and a trenchcoat. My dad brought home Dirty Mind soon after.

Prince is a prodigy, has a voluminous instrumental skill set, and mastered the rock-funk thing that James Brown and Rick James had more or less generated. His best albums - Purple Rain, 1999, Controversy, Sign O’ The Times - are amazing works of art. However, when he missed, he missed badly. Some of the later Warner Bros. releases when he was “Symbol” are dire (granted, he was in Marvin Gaye mode, trying to escape his contract). And he seems to have lost his touch for great songs. The last Prince song I remember buying was “Holy River.” I got one of his CDs at his show I went to around '05 or so. I might have listened to it once.

Prince has a self-indulgent streak that makes him less commercially viable and fan-oriented. His refusal to allow his work on YouTube, not playing the old songs (which I can understand somewhat, I mean, who wants to hear a 50 year old guy singing “Jack U Off” or “Head?”)… that’s a little annoying. But he’s amazing, definitely in the top 30 musical talents of the rock 'n roll era.

But Michael… Christ, the guy was an entity. From 1969 to 2001 he gifted us with that amazing voice. And it is one of a kind. Listen to some of the Motown tracks acapella and his voice will bring you to tears. My favorite era of Michael was the mid- to late-70s teenaged Michael. His last solo album for Motown, Forever Michael, has amazing vocal performances despite some of the dreck he sang. People forget how distinctive Michael’s vocals were, and even when he went R&B (around the time of Dangerous, when he was hanging out with Teddy Riley and his ilk) they were still amazing. The later albums, especially Invincible, didn’t sell because people were more accustomed to seeing MJ on Inside Edition than in the studio. But there are incredible tracks that show the depth of his range - “You Rock My World,” “Butterflies.” I think that record deserves a re-release.

I actually think his crowning glory as a solo artist was Bad. It’s a better album top to bottom than Thriller. To this day, I can’t listen to Thriller without skipping either “Baby Be Mine” or “The Girl Is Mine.” I can listen to Bad all the way through, no worries. And Dangerous and HIStory are great albums - HIStory especially. I slated it originally and listened to the singles. The other tracks, like “Stranger in Moscow” and “History” are gems.

DiosaBellissima also has it right regarding MJ’s criminally undervalued music chops. He was not a traditional instrumentalist, but through beatboxing and vocalizing created amazing sonic landscapes. It is hard to believe that one person without the ability to plink the notes out on the keyboard, or strum the chords could produce the arrangements he did.

Alice, I agree that Prince has an initially impressive roster of proteges - The Time, Sheila E, Sheena Easton - but the others are questionable. (Anybody remember The Family? Maserati?) I also think there was a pretty high price to be paid to be in Prince’s stable. Wendy and Lisa, easily the two most valuable sidewomen Prince played with (props to Dez Dickerson, Andre Cymone, and Matt Fink), had a falling out over creative control and songwriting, and I think he lost a little direction without them on board. With the Revolution he was at his creative high point, but the control freak nature meant that couldn’t last, unfortunately.

So glad to see some love for Michael’s later records - HIStory is my personal favourite but I also think both Bad and Dangerous are superior to Thriller. All four of the albums are basically perfect, though. Off The Wall never connected with me quite as much and Invincible is a bit long and not as exciting, but both of those are almost-perfect albums. The four solo albums as a child are weaker of course but you can make a great CD-length playlist of the best of those recordings. Add in the classic Motown work with the Jackson 5 then the later, disco-funk work with the Jacksons, and that’s a hell of a catalogue with shockingly few weak moments. I think so, anyway.

I think one of Michael’s advantages is that he didn’t pump out an album a year like Prince does, so the quality of his albums was higher and he didn’t give himself a chance to decline as far as Prince has. I’m sure Prince could release a killer 10-track album every three years but instead he chooses to release overlong albums every year or so, diluting what good material is buried in there.

Prince by a knockout for me. I don’t see the brilliance of Michael Jackson, but Prince is a musical force of nature. Sure, he’s weird as fuck, but I love his music so very much.

If you stopped listening to him in 1992, you’ve missed some seriously good music.

Once while listening to a live performance of Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan, I found myself thinking, as I listened to all that brilliant musicianship, that the Beatles just weren’t in those guys’ league. I started a thread to that effect was disabused of that notion fairly quickly by some of the board’s actual musicans, who pointed out that I was confusing instrumental proficiency with melodic proficiency. The overwhelming consensus was that Steely Dan, as wonderful as their songs are and as brilliant as their musicians are, are not even close to the Beatles in terms of melody writing and the ability to evoke such a wide range of feeling and emotion in their listeners.

Based upon that learning experience, I’d have to give the nod to Michael Jackson. Prince is by far the better technical musician, but I think MJ simply writes better more emtionally compelling songs.

Heard an account from one of the musicians that was going to play with MJ on the This Is It tour: “Bad” was originally supposed to be a duet between MJ and Prince. People’s people were contacted, and dinner with the baddest men on the planet was scheduled. MJ excitedly told Prince about the song, and sang it to him. Immediately Prince responded, “I don’t know who is singing the line ‘Your butt is mine,’ but I’m not singing it to you, and you’re not singing it to me.”

Dinner ended soon after and “Bad” was a solo song from MJ.

Snipped by me.

History his amazing; I call it Michael’s angry black man record :p. They Don’t Care About Us and Earth Song are two of the best songs (and videos) the man ever did.

Supposedly they had several other encounters prior and after that- with witnesses saying they just hated each other. Michael was always really upset that Prince was seen as the more legitimate artist while he was the entertainer, and Prince was mad that Michael was a bigger star. If you want to see some epic, check out James Brown, Michael Jackson, and Prince on one stage. You might notice the. . .er. . .competitive hostility between Prince and MJ.

Prince in a landslide for me. Michael Jackson made fun, danceable music sometimes, and lousy and maudlin music at other times, and he was undoubtedly a talented guy, but Prince is just so much more musically creative than Michael Jackson ever was.

I feel like Michael Jackson’s best performing was done when he was a little kid, honestly. Some of those Jackson Five songs were great. But the music he made as an adult never really resonated with me.

Prince is pretty cuckoo in his own way, but for some reason I find it kind of endearing.

I recently did a (looong) blog project over a year where I counted down my 1001 favourite songs of all time in order and wrote about them - ‘Earth Song’ was number one!

Wow. I agree with the Youtube poster who said that “Michael goes on and blows everyone away and then Prince comes up and embarrases the crap out of himself.”

Yeah, I am Team Prince without even having to consider it. To frame it using the first wave of breakthrough rock n’ rollers, Michael Jackson was Elvis, no question; but Prince is Chuck Berry, with a lot of Little Richard thrown in. :wink:

Chuck rules.

I’m flabbergasted that Prince is winning. I think Prince is awesome, but talent-wise I don’t think he really compares to Michael Jackson.

You should listen to more Prince. Are you a musician? Amongst the musicians I hang out with and read about, he is generally one of the - if not THE - most respected musicians working, even today when he isn’t getting the crossover hits anymore.

Any particular songs you’d recommend?

Buy Sign o’ the Times - the full 2 CD album. Title song, Housequake, Ballad of Dorothy Parker, It, Adore, The Cross, Beautiful Night, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, If I Was Your Girlfriend - oh, and U Got the Look :wink:

There’s a lot of brilliance in there. And, to be clear, he wrote, arranged, produced and performed all of it, with a few notable exceptions. Think about that.

I saw Michael Jackson live in Montreal in 1984. (Part of the Victory Tour).

It was kind of crazy awesome. We had awful seats, the big screen wasn’t working, the O of the Big O was wide open and it was freezing and snowing in the place and I just didn’t notice any of it. He gets my vote just for that.

Did MJ write his own stuff?

I’ll piggyback onto this post. In this poll, the Prince is greater than The King.

God, this is a good one. I’m going to have to disagree with Wordman. Prince has the technical (musical) chops, but Michael has the physical chops to equal that. And Michael touched more people and influenced more artists.

Prince is the better musician. No question. But if you’re comparing all-that-is-Prince to all-that-is-Michael, you have to, have to, have to include the context and realm outside the songs themselves.

Michael made MTV.

Yes - much of it, and often with partners like Quincy Jones; obviously a great songwriter.

E-Sabs, this is all YMMV so I hear you. To me, Prince is so strong, so crossover successful in his own right and so much broader in his musicianship, that I stick with Prince.

There is a track I just tried to find a link to, but couldn’t, call **She Spoke 2 Me **from the soundtrack of Spike Lee’s move Girl 6. Starts off with a combo of funk/latin with lush harmonies and just gorgeous Prince pop, then a few minutes in, morphs into a jazz rave up that sounds like it could be Coltrane. I mean, damn.

I can’t think of any of Prince’s songs. I know that, when I hear him, I always think he’s okay, but not great.

I can think of a number of Jackson songs. With the exception of “Beat It,” I think they suck.

So I voted for Jackson, because over the years he’s annoyed me a lot more.