Principals Meeting on Torture: Can We Impeach Now?

To be fair, I mentioned that in the OP.

Impeachment doesn’t have to be about either.

sigh

Nixon: obstruction of justice, contempt of Congress (disregarding subpoenas). Criminal acts.

President Reagan signs the U.N. Convention Against Torture, 1988
US ratification 21 October 1994
Text, including the following:

Was the contempt of Congress that Nixon was accused of the criminal statute version or the version that is implied by the Constitution (which is not a crime)? Reading Article 3 of the Articles of Impeachment it seems that the committee was referring to the implied constitutional version.

See above @13.

Yawn.

What abuse of power has Bush committed in regard to “enhanced interrogation techniques”?

Indeed not. (But it helps, if you want the Senate to convict.)

Which is all covered in the Yoo memo.

(I know that memo has been withdrawn, but the arguments are still valid.)

Clinton was not impeached for any other reason than politics. The day he got into office the repubs started to investigate his entire life. They were intent on crippling his presidency with sleight of political hand.
That is enough reason to impeach Bush. Anything that keeps the Shrub busy doing other things than practicing his brinksmanship.

Why? Do you think it was “enough reason” to impeach Clinton?

I’m glad you think so.

Hey, I’m fine with Congress not impeaching. As long as there are federal marshals on hand on January 9 to take Bush and his cronies into custody and deliver them to the Hague.

I’m all for that, but what happens on January 9?

Crap…that’s what I get for trying to calendar things for work at the same time I’m posting here…

I meant Jan. 20th or whatever exact date Obama’s inauguration will be.

Thats disconcerting.

Or indeed, at all. “International criminal law” exists only insofar as courts in U.S. jurisdictions are concerned as it is supported by existing relevant statutes; see Missouri v. Holland, Reid v. Covert, et cetera. If you’re going to argue for the legitimacy of impeachment, you need to be able to cite specific code violations, not a general appeal to morality or even international conventions, violations of which are not impeachable offenses, regardless of how reprehensible the act is.

Personally I think the use of waterboarding and other physical intimidation techniques is not only reprehensible and counterproductive (as well as ineffective), but if it occurs under the aegis of valid executive instruction and is not otherwise a violation of U.S. statutes where they enjoy jurisdiction, it’s not even a question. I think various members of the Bush administration have been involved in other potentially impeachable offenses against U.S. federal statutes, but this isn’t one of them.

Stranger

Bear in mind that impeachment is not a criminal-justice procedure; the official impeached is at risking of losing only his/her office/job, not his/her civil rights. Impeachment is a political procedure; the Constitution places it squarely in the hands of Congress, not of any court of law. And that means only Congress gets to decide, and in a case-specific manner, what is or is not a “high crime” or “misdemeanor” warranting dismissal from office.

Right. But in this case firing that employee is more work than the benefit. He’s going to be out soon. Impeachment would just be a costly revenge with little tangible benefit.

It would keep the Bush Presidency from following up the Nixon pardon in underlining the attitude that Presidents are above all laws and restrictions. The NEXT President inclined towards unethical/illegal/power mongering behavior is going to look back at this Presidency and the pardon of Nixon and say “Why not ? No matter what I do, if it’s not sex Congress will let it slide.”