Purim Fest 1946 -- fact or fiction?

So let me see if I understand

1. He actually said this

2. He at least kinda got it right but probably was commenting on the fact that the “Jews” were getting their revenge for his actions and words, in a round about way

3. He was an incredible a-hole, I followed some of the links from wiki to images/translations of his magazine

Capt

Hah! I was corrected after eleven years for using the wrong verb.

This problem wouldn’t happen with Hebrew, but in English, people executed by hanging are “hanged by the neck until dead.” An inanimate object as a picture are hung on the wall.

Dead bodies are inanimate. Were Haman’s sons hung or hanged?

:slight_smile:

I always get this wrong. It’s worse with me on lighted or lit (fire or spotlight).

Regardless of whether Speer deserved to die or not, I don’t think anyone needs to take a backseat to Streicher in regard to crimes against humanity.

Am I the only one who’s surprised to find that “fest” was in [somewhat] common usage in the 1940s? I think of it as a 1990s (roughly) phenomenon.

Not if you consider that Streicher was German and that(presumably - as I don’t know a great amount of German) that it the natural German word for a “celebration of Purim” would be Purimfest.

Presumably he was speaking German.

I was, until it occurred to me that Oktoberfest has been around for over 200 years.

Wait. The Nazi war criminal was German? Well, that explains it then. :smack:

It’s mentioned in the 1946 Eyewitness account given by INS reporter Kingsbury Smith: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/NurembergNews10_16_46.html

IIRC, Streicher didn’t shout it, he said it to whoever it was that was walking him up the scaffold. Could be wrong, tho.

“And they was right, but they weren’t dead.”

You get the idea.

Remember, when killing a zombie thread, shoot it in the head, otherwise it just comes back to life next year.