Putting out fire with gasoline?

Cell phones are a non-issue.

Smoking usually isn’t a big deal because the cigarette is up near your face, and the vapors coming out of the tank (as you fill it with liquid gasoline) tend to trickle down the side of your car to the ground - so you’re not likely to end up with a flammable mixture anywhere near the cigarette. Moreover, cigarettes often aren’t hot enough to ignite gasoline.

What can ignite gasoline fumes when filling your car is the discharge of static electricity. People who start the pump and then get back into the driver’s seat (often during winter to keep warm) and then get back out when done refueling are risking the creation of a spark when their hand touches the nozzle; that can be enough to light off the vapors that are present in that area.

Note that the pumping of gasoline produces static eletricity, too. This is why portable gas cans should always be placed on the ground when filling them, to provide a path to ground that helps safely dissipate static electrical charge created during filling.

That does sound like the kind of myth they’d test. If it counts as a myth.

One of the games in my high school was to throw lit matches into your car’s gas tank to see if they would extinguish before they ignited. After a couple of guys blew up their cars, we stopped doing it.

It… took more than one to convince you? :dubious:

Adam Savage: “Am I missing an eyebrow?”

I call shenanigans.

Cars contain fuel pumps and wiring inside the fuel tanks - why don’t they blow up more often?