Quadrupling (or longer!) the Life of Razor Blades – a Shaving Thread: spend only $500, not $8,000

Nice. We’ll just call you Baby Face McNally.

Million dollar idea up for grabs:
Invent a small device that does this automatically!
Drop your razor in and close the lid and walk away to get on with your day.
It brushes the blade, rinses with an ounce of water, then blots & blows dry.
Maybe a small hose so it can drain right into the sink?
Use a rechargeable battery or AC adapter since it is in the bathroom and near water.
Include a small reservoir for distilled water, a pint or so could last two weeks.
It could come with a Free Gift!

High fives RM
Same here.
Minor exaggeration: most mornings, I just need a wash clothe.

Is corrosion a problem for razor blades? Aren’t they made of stainless steel?

But if you switched to Schick blades, we could call you Tracer Bullitt.

I tried what the OP suggested but be stuffed if I can work out how to shave with the Kawasaki?!

that’s George McNally.

This thread is Right Above the Band-Saw thread!!!
(I’m sure the price of electricity and people laughing at missing parts will never confuse the two.)

Usually a cut-throat razor or in a pinch a Buck or Case knife. But to be honest, I don’t shave a lot more than my upper lip.

Or grow a beard.

When I shaved (I stopped 30 years ago), a razor blade would last me a month (and I had a tough beard).

Blades last far longer than most people give them credit for.

Yes, I’ve learned to ignore the color strip on my Mach3 heads and just trust my face.

All I have to say is that you’re getting taken to the cleaners if you’re paying much more than 25 cents each. Ideally you should be getting them at about 20 cents each or slightly less.

(this is assuming you buy in lots of 100, which you can get for $18-19 pretty easily online).

This reminds me of people who spend five hours cutting and sorting coupons and adding 3 hours to their shopping trip to hit multiple stores only to save fifty dollars if they are lucky. Eight hours of my life is worth more than fifty dollars.

I thought the OP was going to be about this method of extending a blade’s life: Blue Jeans. The theory is that swiping the blade against the denim is acting like a stropping device. But maybe it’s just drying the blade, extending life that way …

Maybe, but this is about 30 seconds to clean the blades and quadruple their life, for $6,000 of lifetime savings.

It looks like it’s both stropping and drying, but it’s not cleaning between those blades. That’s where the old toothbrush comes in.

This concept is what got me started. I first used a towel, not blue jeans, and then later added the toothbrush cleaning.

Or you could just switch to Harry’s. Cartridges just as good as Fusion, at 1/4 the price. I’m very picky about my razor, since I shave my head and scalp wounds bleed like a mofo. Harry’s has been wonderful. the cartridges don’t last quite as long as the Fusion do, but at 1/4 the price, who cares?

Yep, I don’t use Harry’s, but I use the Dollar Shave Club and as far as I’m concerned it was brilliant decision that I wish I would have made sooner.

I shave in the shower; I change my blade every Sunday; when I done shaving (and during) I hold the blade under the hot shower head for a good rinse then blow on blades. Work great for me.

I’ve found the key to saving money with shaving is (counterintuitively) to choose a very expensive razor- my blade of choice is handmade by a company in northern Italy that boasts the smoothest shave you’ll ever experience. The next step- and this one is vital- is to accept that you’re a mammal and are supposed to be covered with hair.

I save thousands every year on the expensive blades I don’t buy.

I use a safety razor - an old Gillette of uncertain vintage; it has the comb guard instead of the solid bar, I may bother to look it up some day.

I buy my blades at the supermarket, pack of 10 for about $2.50. Shave every day, swap out the blade every three weeks or so. I probably could go longer but I want to get a new blade going well before the old one starts taking divots out of my face.

A double-edged blade is easy to keep dry, and there is no space between the blades to trap gunk or moisture.