Queen's "You're My Best Friend" as TV theme song?

That’s a lot of “maybe” for which there is no evidence.

1. There is no money to be gained in this.
  2. The show was very popular in syndication.
  3. The music just doesn’t fit the credits at all.

I can see a local station using the song in promos for the show.

I could, too-if it were shown to me. Otherwise, I really can’t envision them spending the money when commercials are already provided by the syndicators(with spots to insert the local logo built in).

Harry Nilsson would have been pissed off-he got royalties when that show was aired because it was his music that opened the show.

It just didn’t happen.

Yes it was used for the reruns.
I was too young when it first aired.
I watched the reruns after Queens song was out for many years.

Can you provide any evidence whatsoever?

I mean, isn’t his screen name enough?

This thread reminded me of something strange that happened to me 25 years ago. In the early 90s, I spent a month in Australia exploring the country with some friends. My roommate at the time had family in Canberra and we stayed with them for a few days. One night we rented the movie BIG from the local video shop. The movie had an entirely different ending than the American version! It was the weirdest thing because I had seen the film in the theater when it premiered in New York and remembered it well. But in the Australian version, the character Susan goes back to the Zoltar machine and gets zapped down to the same age as Josh. I guess the American ending didn’t test well with Australian audiences or something.

:dubious::smiley:

Was Sinbad playing the role of Zoltar?

No he was Shazam!

I thought that was Shaquille O’Neal

The point is that our memories often play tricks on us. What would it take to convince you that you may be misremembering this?

The album that song’s off of - A Night at the Opera - was an international hit. It sold platinum, and cemented Queen reputation as a major rock act. The Courtship of Eddie’s Father was middling sitcom that was out of production and in syndication. There is absolutely no way they would have paid the licensing rights to get a song by the hottest rock band of the day to run over mid-afternoon reruns of a show that had been cancelled three years earlier. If there was a problem with the rights to the original score, they’d have got some public domain tune, or at most hired a bunch of session musicians to crank something out. The idea that they’d have licensed a Queen song instead is absurd.

I can vouch for all of this—Al Traina told me it was true.

There is a scene in that70’s show where Topher grace and Joseph Gordon-Levitt montage it up to a let me tell ya bout my best friend song.

It kinda looked like a show opener and it is set in the 70’s

It would be very hard to provide proof (as in links to online video), because of all the digging online someone would need to do.

I’ll give it a shot though (I’ll start with youtube).
If I’m lucky I’ll find it in the commercials between other shows or sporting events (1970’s or 1980’s on youtube).
Not holding my breath though.

I’ll spend a half hour and see if I come up with anything.
Other than that you’ll just have to take my (very clear) memory for what it’s worth to you.

I guess you could call the Philly TV station that ran it but unless there’s something
in it for them, they could care less about providing anything; I’m guessing they wouldn’t even talk to you.

I’m 100 confident on my memory.
I’m also 100 confident that local stations would have no problem doing something like this.

I also remember thinking “othis tv station is so hip to use the Queen Song. They really like the same music I like”.
Maybe they were trying to get more young viewers by using the music they listened to.

Seriously, it’s clear as day. No doubts at all.

But again take my memories for what they are worth to you.

I see that you’ve already provided outs for everything one could try to disprove your claim. Could you come up with others making the same claim? Have you at least considered what others have said about the near impossibility of something like this happening?
Please show us that you are at least listening to arguments on the other side.

Nobody should be 100% confident of their memories, and I see no reason why you could possibly be 100% confident that local stations would have no problem doing what you claimed happened, especially after all the information you have been given in this thread.