Rand Rover, you want to associate with us?

Noted. My apologies to Rand Rover and to the board.

Sorry, but I don’t see how it’s unreasonable not to go to an event unless you have interacted with someone there before.

All he wants is someone who he can break the ice with by saying “Thread X was barmy wasn’t it? That Der Trihs fellow - bonkers eh?”.

I don’t like going to events if I don’t know anyone, and I would never go to an internet event where I had never interacted with anyone going - that would be creepy IMO.

Oh god! How could you! How could you make such a mistake! OMG!!! Your career as an SDMB poster is now in serious jeopardy!!!

The point is that it doesn’t matter how much he interacts with people in each particular forum. Dopefests go in MPSIMS, not the pit. Same way he shouldn’t start a thread about creating an Atlas Shrugged playlist in the pit when music threads go in Cafe Society.

Huh. Gee, thanks.

Is** ivn1188**'s parole officer allowed to go?

It would’ve made for a less disturbing mental picture if she’d gotten it right the first time.

Imagined it as one of those signs that cheerleaders hold up for football players to run through, only far worse.:eek:

You really don’t want to meet a precocious teen who has been pulling the wool over your eyes for all this time? Why not? It would be amusing .

I see your point, but - by my count - there is somewhere in the neighborhood of precisely one Chicago area poster who would respond appropriately to that type of comment.

You’ll note, please, that it was RR that brought up the matter of forum first. Since the vast bulk of his posts are in the Pit, the vast bulk of posters he’s interacted with are Pit posters. I’m not understanding why he wants to meet us.

Don’t all Rand Rover threads make their way to the Pit anyway? Seems like he’s just doing the mods a favor.

Don’t get your hopes up, you old perv.

If I had the slightest inclination toward dopefests, I’d be willing to have dinner or drinks or whatthehellelse goes on at dopefests with RR. Sure, I find the persona he has adopted on this board to be contemptible, but heck, I used to be in sales. I can meet and talk to anyone. No skin off my nose.

And I sincerely doubt he is in person as he is on this board. People tend to be more everything on the internet.

That does seem to be a difference. I doubt I’m the only one whose persona on the board is exactly their persona real life. I assume that everyone else here is also their own honest personality.

While it may be a mistake on my part, I see no reason to assume that someone who I do not care to associate with on the board is worth associating with in real life.

I would go, but I haven’t lived in the Chicago area since 1979 and I’m more of a tired shtick than an actual human being.

Isn’t that how it all starts, though? You meeting random people that you “share” opinions with?

I agree that trying to “meet up” with usernames on nametags is kinda gay.

I’d let Rand Rover buy me a drink.

The rest of you just pretend to not be as fucked up as he is.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re not tired.

So if you disagree with another person’s political views and you are having a conversation with them in real life, you often drop veiled-but-not-all-that-veiled physical threats against them? And you think I’M the one with the problem?

I’d let just about anybody buy me a drink, but then I am a raging alcoholic

I’m also pretending that I’m typing this from the bridge of the Enterprise whilst I sit upon my loyal pegasus.

But you’re associating like the dickens with him. You’re addressing him in a thread. How more associatin’ can a person be on a message board?

You wanted to hurt his feelings and be spiteful. And now you’re claiming that you’re exactly the same way in person so, well, probably not a whole lot of tears shed over you not being at a dopefest, huh?

Rand isn’t popular, and for good reason. Isn’t that enough?