Rantings about stupid nuclear reporting, and I want to bitchslap somebody, also other crap

Radioactive iodine spiked to 1250 times norm in the water off the coast .It also showed cesium in water outside the plants. If your elevator takes you through that shit, get a new job.

Yeah, cause normally all sea water is just teeming with radioactive iodine. It’s a natural part of ocean water.

The special effects budget is really running out of control for the mega straw man.

So exactly what is the normal amount of volatile radioactive elements in the ocean? What about cesium? Cobalt? This should be fucking interesting.

Especially when they eventually report “The amount of plutonium found in the ocean water is only 100 times normal”. Really? Whats the normal amount then?

Cause gee, I didn’t realize plutonium was a normal part of ocean water.

You really are an ignorant uh?

Virtually all who have told you that you are a moron and agree with me are not saying that at all. Read it again, like **mhendo **said, “The situation is Japan is bad. No doubt about it. It will have consequences—medical and social and economic—that appear in both the short and the long run.”

Learn some logic.

Chernobyl killed less than 10% of the population of Pripyat, which was adjacent to the plant. How the hell would a reactor explosion kill 300,000 people? I guess if you built it in the middle of Manhattan…

How morbid.

But since you went there, imagine two reactors in full breach, burning, with plutonium fuel rods on fire, and the wind blowing towards Chiba and Tokyo.

300,000 might die in the panic to evacuate the cities.

In which case, ironically, fear would be the big danger. Until the cloud hit, but even then, it won’t kill anyone right away.

At least the OP is self-policing.

All plutonium on planet earth is made by human beings. All plutonium in the oceans or anywhere else on earth was created by human beings. And it is all highly toxic. There are no safe levels of plutonium. But I had not heard that this latest incident had released plutonium. Has it?

Nope.

You do know that nuclear reactors cannot blow up like Fat Man and Little Boy, don’t you?

You have posted many many times, and all your posts (that I’ve seen) have been evidence against this statement. You have NOT been calm or rational here, and NEITHER in fact have you explained a damn thing, here. But you certainly haven’t hesitated to caricature and ridicule various parties, who simply want to put this incident in perspective, without directly addressing a single one of their points. So whilst it is possible that your statement is correct in the meat world, everything we have seen of you on the Dope says you’re full of shit.

Do your own fucking research.
(ETA: oh, hell. HERE. )

Cite for this statement, or one with a sufficiently similar meaning?

It isn’t. But the plutonium itself is not the problem, the problem would be the ionizing radiation from it. And what matters is the intensity (nuclide decays per second) and type (alpha, beta or gamma), NOT which particular variety of nucleus is involved.

That requires careful design to ensure that most of the fissile material actually stays together long enough to get the delicious neutrony goodness it needs to fission. Radioactive material doesn’t spontaneously blow itself to smithereens.

And if you were thinking even older school… well that’s ‘nuclear’, but not ‘radioactive’ and requires a helluva lot of gravity. :slight_smile:

There are trace amounts of plutonium in nature created by spontaneous fission of Uranium.

What’s the level of natural plutonium in ocean water?

Of course we know there will be no answer to that question. Just like there is no normal level of radioactive iodine, cesium, strontium, cobalt, or any other man made radioactive isotopes, that only come from reactors. (the shit from the bombs came from the reactors as well)

I should probably sit down and compose an easy to understand guide to nuclear material, radioactive poisoning, fall out, what all that complicated shit means, that they use and they say in the reporting, and why 90% of it is bullshit.

Of course the problem here is that TEPCO is giving the reporters bullshit to start with, and then they further fuck up the already bullshit reports, and by the time it makes it to CNN o somewhere it is just dark comedy.

Let’s say you are correct. For the sake of argument.

And that I am talking about trying to explain it and discuss it elsewhere, and due to the limiting nature of the other forums rules, I can’t vent and rant about it, and that’s why I’m doing it here. And when I saw the same stupid shit here, I vented radio-activated spew that really was over the legal limit.

Would that make you feel better?

Thats because they are making a Broadway show out of it.

Why don’t you go ahead and do that, and report back when you’re done?

All you’ve done so far in all of these threads is tell us that you know what you’re talking about. You’ve not yet provided any actual evidence that you know what you’re talking about.