Rechargeable Lawn Mowers?

It’s dead now (blade came unwelded) but the snow thrower is the only easy to start gas-thingie we’ve ever owned: put in the key, push a button twice and put the cord once…unlike say 6-10 pulls for the rototiller/weed wacker and chainsaws. Since we’re buying a replacement for the snow thrower in the fall, it’s good to know that there are difficult to start ones too.

Most modern gas engines have primers on them. My Craftsman snow blower has a primer and a choke and a 110V AC starter. You plug it in to start it. If you prime it correctly it starts easily but it’s nice to have the electric start in winter. The newest gadget for large snow blowers is wheel driven steering. Looks like they clutch each wheel. It’s a nice feature for larger blowers which can be a handful to steer. I’d also like to mention that the types with handles that extend straight back are hard on the wrist unless you’re tall. Better to have a crossbar to hold onto. Seriously.

I’ve seen this a lot, so I feel I must add: gas-powered mowers are available with electric starters, so you don’t necessarily have to yank a cord to start one. My mower (a Snapper) came in two versions, one with a no-prime pull starter and one with an electric starter. I think the electric starter added $20 to the cost of the mower. I went with the pull-starter, because I don’t mind starting it that way.