Revenge (ABC TV Show)

Ha! You missed the first letter of my username!

This is just a thought, and only a thought, but I can’t help but wonder if Victoria’s private investigator is actually working deep cover for Emily. Admittedly, it looked like he made an appearance with Victoria in one of the last scenes (in Emily’s childhood) tonight, but think about it: The investigator subtly wins Victoria’s confidence by appearing to always be “checking on things.” Yet he always comes up just a little bit behind Emily’s actions, never able to tie her to anything. (Of course, Emily may really be that brilliant…brilliant enough to scramble computer ID addresses to make it look like the Graysons are behind her carnage.)

Just wondering…any thoughts?

I’m torn.

On one hand it looks like he was the one Victoria handed the laptop in the flashback, so he’d have to be a damn good actor to keep Victoria’s trust after utterly betraying her by working for someone else against her.

On the other, we’ve already seen two instances where Emily has invested a lot of time in setting up her marks - a year’s worth of therapy; two years ago she worked on the senator’s campaign - so I wouldn’t put the sort of long game thinking it’d require past her.
What do other people think about Nolan? I can’t help but think he’s sort of sweet in his own way…and I don’t think wanting to be liked is an act for him. Emily is so driven she probably really doesn’t think she needs anyone, but he’s not that much like her even though he likes her games.

That’s not an implausible thought. The show’s writer said that Emily gets fast revenge in the first few episodes to hook the audience. However, the storyline will drag out more in later episodes to increase the tension (and perhaps make the comeuppances more spectacular). If it’s 8 people she’s after, she’s already nailed 4 of them. There are 9 episodes to go, which means that she’ll average 2 (or just over 2) episodes to nail the remaining 4. Maybe that’s the case, maybe it isn’t - but we’ll see!

Nolan’s a real puzzle. He always seems to have Emily’s best interests at heart, since her father believed in his hi-tech concept. I feel a little sad that Emily keeps shoving him out of the way, although she has to do so to keep her secret operations as airtight as possible. Still, Nolan’s pretty resilient - he knows that Emily wants him out of the way, but doggedly helps her out in many situations. The guy’s kind of like Mozart in “Amadeus” - the young genius who is so brilliant that he has a happy-go-lucky, somewhat scatterbrained personality.

Back to the investigator - yes, he would have to be one helluvan actor to pull it off, but he carries an air of steely confidence. Ex-Marine or SEAL before he joined the FBI perhaps? Don’t know, but he doesn’t look easy to fase. Whatever his motivations, it would be a heckuva twist if he really is working for Emily…maybe a secret family connection to her? I’m probably stretching here, but who knows?

I have to wonder what the deal is with Daniel Grayson’s Harvard pal? He has some kind of agenda…but what?

We think he’s just broke and wants Daniel drinking again so he’ll pay his way for stuff. It’s possible that he’s broke and Victoria’s paying him to try to ruin things between Emily and Daniel, though.

The Count of Monte Cristo was a huge book and it’s been two or three years since I reread it, but–there were a lot of characters other than the four who originally sold out Edmond Dantes that the Count gets revenge on. I’m thinking the parallel here is to the boatbuilder, who was ruined by the loss of one of his boats and whose family was going into ruin because of it, including something with his daughter–she might have to marry someone she didn’t fancy, or something like that. At any rate, this guy was a friend to Edmond and stayed loyal to him, so his business and family are saved by the Count. I think he’s pretty much the parallel to the bar owner. But, as I say, there were a lot of people in the Count’s sights by the time he got everything all set up (which took years).

What is not in the book, and it’s kind of a plot flaw for me, is the computer geek guy, who is almost the god from the sky in a lot of episodes.

Still…I’m hooked…

Ummm…Abbe Faria?

Obvi not a perfect parallel (what with him being active in the plot), but surely that’s his role.

That makes sense - I especially like the second possibility. Being in Victoria’s pocket could explain the fact that he hid Daniel’s cell phone. (*plus he’s at least outwardly interested in Emily’s friend Ashley…though that could be a ruse.)

They changed the actor who played her dad when she was young. The new guy fits in better.

As you point out, the PI was part of the conspiracy to frame Emily’s dad. If he’s working for Emily at all, he must not know who she is.

The Count did have compatriots, Bertuccio and Haydee. Nolan is probably filling in for Bertuccio. Jack would be Haydee.

Kind of, but…he was just the starting point. He didn’t come in and save the Count on every adventure; and the Count set up the stock-market diversion quite without the Abbe’s help, for instance.

Hmm. OK, let me rerun that first episode and reevaluate that…

It was the new episode. Victoria snuck in to the house to grab Emily’s dad’s laptop, and handed it to the PI.

Except they took pains to show us that he wasn’t drinking on Daniels dime. My wife thinks it might be that he is obsessed and in love with Daniel.

Hmm. But what was his game, then? He couldn’t have known that canceling for Daniel would lead to Daniel seeing Emily invite Jack in for a drink, so it’s not like he could have set Daniel up to need a shoulder to cry on.

I’m really enjoying this show.

Yes. The PI was who Victoria gave the laptop to for sure. I would be surprised if he is working with Amanda. It seems to me that he must be on the revenge list.

I think the roommate is no longer rich and is somehow working an angle to stay there for the summer. Although, the way he said goodnight made me think JSexton’s wife has a point.

I like Nolan and do feel bad every time she turns him away. I also like that bartender. But, here’s the thing. It seems like the bartender has a crush that he carried onto adulthood on Amanda - even naming a boat after her. But, he was like 10 when she left. That’s a bit much. Although, maybe he just remembers her fondly since he likes that immortal dog so much.

I know they changed the guy who played the father before the show started. (They were going to have Marc Blucas. But, he dropped out when some other show got picked up.) But, I think the guy from this week’s episode is the same as the one from the pilot. He looked the same, at least.

Man. So far, I think the doctor has deserved her revenge more than anyone else. Who treats a kid like that?