RIP, Keith Emerson

It is compared to Hendrix, Cobain, Morrison, and other musicians who didn’t live to see 30.

They split up in 1979, reformed in '91 and broke up again for good in '98. They did a one-off 40th anniversary show in 2010 but nothing else since then.

I am beyond devastated. ELP is one of my favorite bands of all time. I love almost everthing they did. (I even enjoy Love Beach.)

RIP Keith.

:eek:WTF? I am speechless
Emerson Lake & Palmer, I love you.

I loved Pictures At An Exhibition. They don’t make ‘elegant’ any more, do they? RIP.

RIP Keith. :frowning:

Big fan of Emerson’s work since the day I picked up a copy of Elegy…because I liked the cover. :smiley:

I loved ELP’s stuff up until Welcome Back My Friends, after that I kind of lost interest.

The Brain Salad Surgery tour was the most impressive concert I had been to in the early days of my rock show career–and it still stands out in my memory. The final notes of Karn Evil 9 swirling around the SF Civic Center faster and faster and faster…wow. I talked about that show for days after that to anyone who would listen.

I just read that he died of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. He had nerve damage in his right hand that affected his playing and he also had depression. That poor man.

Sad to hear that he took his own life. He was a talented musician and ELP a big part of my childhood. They were the beginnings of progressive rock.

I started a thread about ELP a couple months ago.

“Lucky Man” now takes on a creepy overtone.

For whatever it’s worth, Keith’s right hand had been impaired by ulnar nerve problems for well over 20 years, and from what I’ve seen on videos his right hand was effectively limited to thumb and two fingers by 1994. Although it may have gotten even worse since then, this was not a recent development. I’ve read that he had “growths” removed from his colon some years ago, and wonder if that might also have been a contributing factor to his despair.

Damn. I can’t overstate how highly I regarded his abilities when he was in his prime.

Yeah. Glad it was written by Greg Lake, or the creep factor magnifies.

I have heard that he had a rare condition called Musician’s Task Specific Focal Dystonia which causes uncontrollable spasms and movement in the affected body part. (My husband is a drummer and suffers from this and heard this from the Focal Dystonia community) It has ended many musical careers and I know first hand the kind of despair a musician can go through when they can’t play their instrument.

It’s sad that he took his life. RIP Keith.

:eek:

Will listen now to “The Thoughts of Everlist Davjack” - a couple neat tunes off that, like “Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon”, “Daddy, Where Did I Come From?”

Cool seeing him play the awesome “America” on Letterman in the mid-90’s.

My favourite solo - “Bitches Crystal”

Sad his life ended this way:(

R.I.P.

Still - you’ll turn us on.

I did not know that Emerson had taken his life when I wrote these remarks. I can’t imagine his pain or his mental state that he chose to do this, but I’m very sorry that he has passed, and I apologize if I came across as insensitive. His death is a loss to his family and his legion of fans.