RIP Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, Computer Voice

I don’t remember how long ago this was and it may no longer be true but at that time, due to her voice work as the computer, she had “appeared” in every episode of all four series and all the films.

When I was a kid, I used to think the Bell Telephone operator voice was her too, but I guess it was Jane Barbe.

Mine was her doing the voice of Stewie’s computer in one episode of Family Guy.

I think that’s only true if you consider her to be “playing” the ship itself. There are quite a few episodes where we don’t hear the computer speak.

Aww, crappity. :frowning:

One by one they’re all off where… pretty much every man has gone before, or will. Roddenberry, Kelley, Doohan, now Barrett. :frowning:

Oddly enough, the memory of her voice acting which most stands out for me is from “Best of Both Worlds, Part II” after the recap, with her saying “And now… the conclusion.”

Hey, it was a great episode :smiley:

One by one, the greatest Starfleet crew vanishes. :frowning:

If I am not mistaken she was the only person to “appear” in every Trek incarnation.

I think you’re right. She’s certainly the only person to play the same character in every incarnation.

She did a lot of voice work in the Star Trek animated series, as well, particularly the Cattian crewmember, M’ress, and Nurse Chapel.

Peace and farewell, ever-bright and hopeful vision.

Sniff. I hear her voice every day, as my computer starts up and shuts down. A great loss, and another reason to look forward to the new film, featuring her final performance.

Damn.

Damn, it’s sad she’s gone. I hope she’s with Gene somewhere, despite Roddenberry’s beliefs.

And yes, she was in all five series. Or at least her voice was. In the Enterprise two-parter, “In A Mirror, Darkly,” she provided the computer’s voice for the mirror universe’s U.S.S. Defiant, the Constitution-class vessel and sister ship to the Enterprise NCC-1701 which disappeared in Tholian space.

Recalling two verses from the Leslie Fish filk classic, Banned from Argo:

Our proper, cool First Officer was drugged with something green,
And hauled into an alley, where he suffered things obscene.
He sobered up in Sickbay and he’s none the worse for wear,
Except he’s somehow taught the bridge computer how to swear.

The Head Nurse disappeared awhile in the major Dope Bazaar,
Buying an odd green potion “guaranteed to cause Pon-Farr.”
She came home with no uniform and an oddly cheerful heart,
And a painful way of walking-with her feet a yard apart.

The former two were blah characters, I admit, but that was hardly her fault; it was the sexist assumptions of the writing (and the fact that Number One got, what, 5 minutes of screen time). I loved Lwaxana, though, and I am sorry to hear of her death.

“They will continue the voyages we have begun and journey to all the undiscovered countries boldy going where no man, where no one…has gone before.”

Damn, sad to hear.

I always got a kick out of her calling Worf as “Mister Woof.”

I think Number One could have been a fascinating character (as well as something of a pop-culture milestone). As Skald points out, we never got a chance to know her.

I had the sincere pleasure of meeting and talking with Majel at several sci-fi cons in the greater California area. She was the sweetest lady, even to unimportant “gophers” like myself. I will miss her greatly.