S. Morgenstern: Famous Florin Author or Anoying Literary Device?

Morgenstern’s literary friendship extends to several notable journalists, including Lois Lane (she and the old boy had a torrid affair), Ben Urich (he was a Morgenstern fanatic when he was 10), and that unfortunate Hitler-mustached muckracker who owns New York’s Daily Bugle.

Oh, and let’s not forget all the unoptioned screen adaptations by Corwainer Bird.

Sorry, nope, she’s perpetually pregnant. :wink:

So some people read the book and came away thinking S. Morgenstern was a real person, and Florin and Guilder were real countries? Yeesh! Still, I shouldn’t be surprised, knowing that there were people who came out of seeing The Blair Witch Project and thought it was true.

At first I was annoyed at the conceit of Goldman inventing a fictitious writer, producing a novel “written” by the fictitious writer, and then praising the novel as a work of genius. But eventually I had to admire his chutzpah.

Even in his bad books (Brothers, for instance) Goldman has some great set-piece scenes, and always creates memorable characters. Do you think he deliberately made the two young lovers in The Princess Bride less interesting than the other characters in the book?

I don’t have much to add here except that a very good friend of mine runs the best Princess Bride website on the web (IMO) and I suggest y’all check if out if you haven’t already. Here’s the link:
www.smorgenstern.com

A few years ago, I wanted to buy my wife the Princess Bride book through Amazon for her birthday. I accidentaly ordered the screenplay. I later also bought her the book, but the screenplay is nice to have, and it comes with an introductory essay by Goldman. He explains in it why he used the Morgenstern device:

He had a lot of good ideas for the plot, but was having trouble putting them together in a story.