San Fransico...what should I do?

Must, must dos:

Muir Woods. Redwoods, dude.

Mt. Tamalpais. Awesome viewsof the ocean, SFO, SFO Bay, northern valleys, and more. Drive virtually to the top, then 10 minute hike to the fire overlook.
Pt. Reyes National Seashore. A beautiful collection of ecosystems from woodland to marsh to seashore. See! wild sea otters at play. Marvel! at the wildlife. Hear! nothing at all. Out in the pastures of the old dairy farms, the only place quieter is a tomb. Or a cave. Or one of those anechoic chambers with the foam-rubber spikes on the wall at Langly reasearch center where they do sound research and stuff.

The first thing I do when I get to town is rent a convertible and head for the hills.
It’s just so beatutiful up North. I do love town, but nature comes first.

There are a thousand places to eat, but drop by the Cliff House for dinner before sunset on a clear night at least once.

A thousand feet south on the beach as well is the Beach ChaletBrewery and Restaurant. Pancakes bigger than your head, and of course, great views of the beach and sunset.

Touristy & hokey? GoCars San Fran! Down near Fisherman’s Wharf, you hop in your little yellow GoCar, and follow the directions on any number of routes/tours to get up close and personal with everything interesting in the area.

The cable cars are always fun of course, and just jumping off here and there to take pictures is free!

You can’t leave without at least stopping by Coit Tower - that’s where the tiger in Dr. Doolittle threatened to jump from :smiley: and the Palace of Fine Arts where over a dozen movies you’ve actually seen were filmed!

There are thousands of things to do, but if you find yourself on Fisherman’s Wharf and you see this asshole, kick him in the nuts for me.

Scared the crap out of me.

How about a gay/leather/sex event:

NSFW: folsomstreetfair.com/alley/

I love the Alcatraz tour. The boat ride out is fun too.

You could head east to Placerville and come see us for lunch at the deli. :slight_smile:

I would LOVE to visit Placerville…but alas, I am at the mercy of mass transit on this visit, no car. :frowning:

And when you get back home, you WILL write up all your adventures in one big long post for the rest of us to vicariously enjoy! :cool: (Snarky_Kong never did, even though I asked.)

Yes…I will…I am more prone to keeping this thread as the blog. :wink:

Be nice (Snarky_Kong is harmless…

tsfr

Whole post read…I WILL take some of the suggestions… but I am limited by transportation.

Check back for results…

Again, I can’t emphasize the walking tours enough. The best part is they’re free although they will ask for donations.

There’s also the Castro tour, Murals and the Multi-cultural Mission, Bawdy and Naughty… If you are looking for an intro to the city or a free way to spend an afternoon, you can’t go wrong.

The Giants are playing, if you have a few extra bucks. The first part of the week will be better, as they are playing against their arch-rivals
later in the week and tickets will be expensive and hard to get for those games.

And whenever/wherever you go in the city, bring a jacket! Seriously, bring a jacket. It’s either freeze and go home early, buy a over-priced sweatshirt like all the other tourists or lug around the jacket for the couple of hours its sunny and relatively warm. Bring a jacket.

My first name is Francisco and I can not believe how someone can manage to misspell the name of a major US city TWICE in the same post in TWO different ways. Unbelievable.

My sincerest apologies. Spell has never been my forte. But i can’t see how this would be “unbelievable”…moronic, yes but "unbelievable’…really?

Back on topic…I am stuck in Phoenix…US Air sat on ground here for an HOUR before we could disembark…missed my connection.

Okay, Dopers, quick! Things to see and do, places to go in Phoenix!

He needs answer fast!

If you’ve never tried In-N-Out Burger, you need to. Yum, Yum! Take the cable car to Fisherman’s warf. Plus Fisherman’s warf is a fun afternoon. Finish the day at Blow Buddies! A complete SFO expirence!

To be honest I think my host is planning to attend the event…not sure if it is “my cup of tea” but could make for some interesting NSFW photo OP’s.

Got out of Phoenix after an unscheduled 4 hour delay…dry heat my ass…it was hotter than hell.

Got into SF about 5pm yesterday. Shared a few glasses of some great Zinfandel and called it an early night.

Woke up today and set out alone, on foot. I am staying just NorthEast of the Castro. I walked past the US Mint then up/down Van Ness to City Hall…West on Eddy to the end and jumped one block South to Turk…Turk took me past U of SF…

From there headed South on Parker Ave/Shrader St. I crossed the Western part of the “panhandle” of Golden Gate Park and headed to Haight Street. Then East on Haight with a brief side trip up up Ashbury to pay my repects at 714…

Back on Haight Eastbound to Buena Vista park…a FREAKING big hill/kinda nature reserve. Hiked to the top. Saw the GG bridge and Pacific for the first time this trip.

Hiked back down, meandering and taking some snapshots. I was pulled in the direction of a LARGE hill/dirt pile looking thing. It was Corona Heights park…again I trudged up the hill. The view was AMAZING. I got my bearings by seeing the US Mint and “Safeway Foods” so i followed my instincts down the east side of the Corona Heights dirt pile and onto 16th Street, the VERY VERY top of 16th street. What a HILL. It is good it does not snow here because nobody would ever make it up. Followed 16th Street eastbound to Market. Stopped at “Squat and Gobble” for a late breakfast. From there back to my host home for a quick download of photos and a nap. The nap was short.

After resting I took F line street car to The Ferry Building Market Place I walked up the Embarcadero to Pier 39 and then back to Market onto the F line again and home…

My feet hurt…SF IS hill after hill.

My host gratefully loaned my his Muni card (Bus/Light Rail) for the week so tomorrow, who knows, I am thinking Ocean beach and the Zoo??

Yikes! That sounds like quite a load of footwork for one day!

Since you’re so into walking, I’m guessing your plan is to do most or all of your sightseeing in S. F., as opposed to visiting some of the outlying areas?

If you’re so enthralled by the great views from the hilltops, then that mountain just at the north end of the G. G. Bridge is a definite MUST GO THERE place for you.

If it’s a sufficiently clear day, look west out across the ocean. You can just see the Farallon Islands.

Congrats on successfully navigating your first day. If all your days were spent in the center of the city, you’d never get lost (and would probably not need the jacket.) But if you are going to venture into other areas tomorrow you’ll definitely need the Muni pass.

From Market and Church (or Market and Castro), go underground to take the L Taravel streetcar all the way out to the end to the zoo and beach. You can either go back the same way or go to the other end of Ocean Beach and take the N Judah streetcar or go through Golden Gate Park.

Sounds like a good plan Sandra.

A bit of navigation advice if you’re going to be out in the west side of the city, by the way:

Note that the north-south streets are numbered, and the east-west streets mostly have names in alphabetical order (with a few irregularities).

Between the zoo, the beach, and Golden Gate Park (art museum; Cal Academy museum; huge botanical garden and many specialized smaller gardens; Stow Lake; fern trees), you’ve got a good full day or two ahead of you right there. Also, Palace of Legion of Honor (classic art museum).

Working your way northward along the coast through Lincoln Park, you get to the Marina District. Exploratorium. Fort Mason (with Jeremiah O’Brien, a WWII-era Liberty Ship). Fisherman’s Wharf area is next after that.

Oh, BTW, I just caught this – Was there something special to see at 714 Ashbury?

The Grateful Dead lived at 710 Ashbury.

Sounds like you walked past my hotel. ::waves::
Maybe we will have a small earthquake while you are here. :slight_smile:

If your feet hurt today, then the your calf muscles will likely be sore tomorrow or the next day from climbing the hills.