Scientists accidentally kill world's oldest animal at age 507

I like clams.

:smack:

Stop it.

He’s lucky he wasn’t in a rock band, he would have died 480 years ago.

So long Ming. We hardly knew ye.

I wonder how $cientologists feel about this.

Not too far from a true story…

Well did they taste it?

-Shel Silverstein

It was those damn clam shooters

This is a clamity. I hope the killers got into a soup.

Presumably it enjoyed whatever existence it had — to end it through curiosity only leads to the hope that blundering idiots destroy themselves in some comical fashion very soon.
Thomas Lovell Beddoes would have written a dirge about it.

That’s sad.

To quote Governor Perry of Texas, “Oops”.

Seriously, this is a ridiculous story. It’s a friggin clam. It wasn’t a mystery old clam that they knew was the oldest living animal and just had to find it’s age, so they cut it open. No, it was a clam they dredged from the ocean bottom with a whole batch of clams as part of a scientific monitoring process and then, while processing the batch, discovered that one was 407 years old. And that was 2006. Now somebody has reanalyzed and is updating the age to correct it.

But this was a random clam dredged from the ocean bottom. Clams are dredged up every day. Unless you cry over every clam chowder, clam bisque, and clam sandwich out there, it’s preposterous to cry over this clam.

I would think that 507 year-old clam would be the toughest, stringiest piece of meat ever. :wink:

I have to wonder how much experience has taught that clam over all those years. I wonder if he did anything different than younger clams or if being a clam is just being a clam.

Any chance they’ll clamp down on this calamitous clam clamor?

Thinking about this in terms of reincarnation, imagine how much it would suck to come back as a clam and be stuck waiting 500 years before you could get on with your next life.

Which might indeed be another clam.

“Then there was the time I sat in one spot, slowly filtering sea water for nutrients…”

Age aside, a 500 year old clam doesn’t seem to have much more to offer than a 20 year old clam. Or a 5 year old clam for that matter.