Scotland's Haggis Surrenders - Norway wins disgusting food crown

The name is obviously onomotpoetic.

The movie Cold Fever has a scene of a guy eating a sheep’s head. It’s hilarious; he’s very drunk, and he makes the head talk to him like a puppet before taking a bite out of it.

The film is set in Iceland, not Norway, but the filmmaker, Friðrik Þór Friðriksson, presumably knows what’s authentically Icelandic and what’s not. (I hope those characters in his name display correctly.)

There’s no way haggis is tastier than a hot dog. A properly grilled hot dog is one of the most perfect foods out there.

Anyway, I don’t think most Americans have actually seen haggis (or a recipe) and they don’t realize it’s a sausage-like thing with the organs all minced up. Most probably imagine it to be closer to a oatmeal with organ chunks mixed in and then cooked inside a stomach, but with the stomach acting more as a sack rather than a skin, if you follow. At least, that’s how I always thought it was until I actually saw haggis for myself. If you actually plopped a haggis thing in front of an American, they’d probably says, “Oh, well, that actually doesn’t look so bad.”

Traditional Haggis Recipe

Well, you’ll all be glad to know that Google images has plenty of photos of prepared smalahove.

P.S.: If there are still people on the board who say we shouldn’t have a “puking smiley” after reading all this, you aren’t human.

You’ve been served!

Yummy for your tummy!

I don’t see why anybody sees this as any different to, say, a large fresh salmon being presented on a platter.

Yeah, yeah, I haven’t eaten a fish eye. But who knows, maybe they’re the tastiest part, and we’re missing out?

I consider myself as culinarily broad minded as the next guy, but, man, I don’t even want to know what that piece of meat is just below the sheep’s head.

Now, blood boudin, that’s good eating.

Anything to do with a Hot Karl?

I hope not.

I always discard the donut hole, don’t you?

Aren’t American hotdogs made in intestines for the casing (as are most sausages)? Isn’t that very similar to using the stomach?

Did you see the “after” photo?

I hope I’m never that hungry.

I am very thankful my shark biologist Dad didn’t know about this when I was growing up; he loved to show folks how to eat shark, and would have done this in a minnit, in our backyard.

I’m not telling him about it now, either.

Ho. Lee. Crap. :eek:

Used to be, most of them are synthetics, now. Although tonight I had some Italian sausage that was packed in real intestine.

Pfah. I laugh at your sheep’s heads and rotten shark, and give you casu marzu. It’s basically pecorino cheese that has been digested by barn fly maggots for months. Oh, and you eat the living maggots - which are apparently quite energetic and may jump into your eye - along with the maggot-shit-that-used-to-be-cheese.

Blurk.

I highly, highly recommend Conecuh sausage. Excellent sausage still packed in intestine. You can tell by the satisfying snap you get when biting into one. Mmmm-mmmm-mmmm.

What, couldn’t be bothered to read the whole thread?

A taco de ojo is a wonderful thing. I have several everyday no matter where I’m at at the time.

This has been linked to before on the boards, but I think it’s proper to have it again here! It’s a humorous journal of taste-testing strange and/or disgusting “food.”

Enjoy!