SDMB Gun Nut Thread

I haven’t had the chance to shoot it yet because of some recent snowstorms and generally cold weather. That said, I’m on Spring Break right now and I’ll find my way out there very soon.

I do like the balance, though. The grips aren’t too bad, I may find that I have to replace them, but overall it’s a good, solid piece.

That sums up most every Ruger I’ve owned, maybe add “trigger’s a little heavy”
and you’ll about have their unofficial motto.

I actually like the stock grips on the SP101, but I can see how some people wouldn’t (I might be a little odd as I don’t particularly like the feel of S&W, although the trigger pull almost makes up for it)

They use that same ribbed pattern on their semi-automatic pistols, and I find them appallingly uncomfortable in that application. This, however, is a much smaller grip, so I might be able to live with it.

Lessee, in my locker:

Rifles& Shotguns:

1 X Bushmaster 5.56mm/.223 AK Shorty 16" Carbine (my personal fave)
1 X Bushmaster 5.56mm/.223 Flattop 22" Varminter
1 X 20ga Mossberg 500C - I picked up from a roommate for $40, can’t beat that deal, and great for plinkin’!

Handguns
1 X Charles Daly DDA .40SW - my carry gun
1 X Kimber Pro Carry II .45
1 x Ruger GP100 (aka the “Security Six” from years past) .357

The worst part? I gave my father my Sig Sauer 232 .380 ACP pistol for Christmas. I still love that gun. . . :smack:

Tripler
But FWIW, I filed for my GA permit this week.

Rifles:

.30-30 Bolt action Savage, 1950s vintage
.30-30 Lever action Winchester Model 94 Trapper. Short barrel, youth stock (bought for large breasted wife)
.22 Ruger 10/22 (wood stock)

Shotguns:

Smith 916 12ga, 18.000001" barrel (just enough to be legal). Former “Cop gun,” slight marks from mounting in the patrol car
Mossberg 500 12ga, 24 or 26 inch bird barrel.

No pistols yet, but they’ll come soon enough.

The .30-30 Savage, and the Smith 916 12ga have taken a life… (deer, one shot, one kill each. Both at less than 20 yards. :smiley: )

I’m kinda low at the moment.

SKS (chinese, cheap! accurate as hell tho)
Baretta Vertec (I don’t really like it, probably going to sell or trade it soon)
Browning Buckmark (Needs to be sighted)
huh. That’s it. I need to go shopping.

So as a minor hijack…

I have a fascination with the Webley. (really the Mk IV, but you know…)

I’ve looked around and many have been converted to fire .38; and even then are real expensive.

I noticed Johnny has some kind of replicas of older guns that apparently are shootable.

Does such a thing exist for Webleys?

Where do I get them?

Any other sage advice?

Z

Let’s see . . . the relatively new ones - meaning I got 'em in the past 6 or eight months:

Walther PPK/S .380ACP
Taurus .17 HMR Ultra-lite
Springfield Armory XD in .45 ACP
Browning Hi-Power Pro in .40 S&W

Got a S&W Model 629 in my sights for later this year, too. Or maybe a Colt Anaconda. I need a good .44 Mag.

Plus, .22’s are just damn fun. I’ve got a Winchester 9422 Legacy that’s probably my favorite gun.

Whatcha asking for it?
My collection’s been fairly static for a while:

Handguns:
Taurus PT-99, 9mm
Colt Peacekeeper, .357 (my first, bought with my own money)
Ruger Vaqueros (x2, my babies), .45LC
Colt Gold Cup, .45ACP
Springfield Arms V-10, .45ACP

Rifles:
Winchester Model 70, 7mm Rem. Mag.
Winchester 94, .45LC
Ruger Mini-14, .223
Oly. Arms PCR-99, .223
Mossberg 500 (tricked out SWAT-style, named “Sarah Brady’s Nightmare”), 12ga.
Stoeger Arms “Coach Gun,” 12ga.

None of mine are “art,” but several have a few purely ornamental embellishments that struck my fancy and were within my budget.

I dunno about the whole “physical fitness” stuff, but I do get into a kind of “Zen” mode, or whatever you want to call it, when shooting. I find it mind clearing, thus relaxing in a way that just sitting cross-legged on the floor and contemplating my inner self doesn’t quite match (plus, I’m finding it harder and harder to get up off the floor as I age) :wink:

I’ve been a “shooter” since I was 5.

Oh yeah, I want one of them! Next on my list, baby! Well, maybe after a Sig P220.

Then I promise to get that Enfield. Yes.

I was thinking $1750. About the same as the factory price, but without the wait. I was going to put up a flyer at the range once I got resettled here. If I shipped it it would have to go through a dealer. If you are (or anyone else is) interested we can discuss it off the boards.

I’d love a 9422. Looked into getting one several times, but never did.

And (don’t laugh) I’d like to get an AR-7. A Remington Nylon 66 might be fun too.

Yankee liberal (Boston area) checking in here. Gun owner? Darned right.

I see firearms as tools and therefore do not go in for the collectibility of them. ( I suppose my practical (cheap?) Yankee mentality plays a large part in that. :slight_smile:

My “collection” is very standard stuff:
Ruger 10/.22 (I notice many “Dopers” have these).
Ruger Mini-14 (ditto)
Winchester '94 30-30 lever action.
Marlin .22 Win Mag bolt action. Of all the rifles I have, this one looks the most impressive. (Stainless steel barrel, large telescopic sight, sling, tubular feed). It looks like a sniper rifle or maybe even a big game rifle but since it is a .22 Win Mag, it lacks the firepower of either. But it sure looks serious.

Incidentally, being an electric guitar player, I do not go in for “collectibile” guitars either. 50th Anniversary Fenders or Gibsons?? No thanks.
Didn’t someone a few years ago pay about $650,000 for 1 (that’s right ONE) of Eric Clapton’s electric guitars? Now there’s a wise fiscal plan for utilizing your guitar-buying dollar.
And returning to firearms, how about that 100th anniversary Winchester '94? Yeah right.

I’m not a gun nut, but I have fired 5 or 6 different weapons, maybe 100 rounds out of each, and my favorite by far is the Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum. I’m surprised I haven’t seen more of them in this thread.

I thought it was lots of fun, extremely accurate (more so than any other handgun I’ve used for sure), powerful and in general, you know, manly. Cool. “Dirty” Harry Callahan and all. Is there any particular reason I’m not seeing any of them in this thread?

That’s a good question about the 44 mag. I used to have one, the Colt was a little to rich for me, so I had a Brazilian Taurus, which is a hell of a gun for the dollar. That beast could tear up a watermelon like nobody’s business, but it was LOUD and expensive to shoot. It was kind of a novelty. Everyone in my group would shoot six or twelve through it and then we’d go back to something a little more mainstream. I ended up selling it to an Alaskan pal, who keeps it on his waist when he went fishing in bear country. I miss it, but it wasn’t worth the trouble.

OK, here we go:

Rifles
AR-15 RRA M4 Flattop in 5.56 w/collapsible stock and 16" bbl. EoTech holosight mounted with BUIS. RRA two stage trigger.

AR-15 in 6.8SPC home assembled Stag lower with RRA innards and their two stage trigger. 16" bbl. Iron sights.

AK-47 type with under folder stock.

Ruger Mini-14 stainless with folding stock (Choate) and red dot sight

Ruger 10/22 converted to 17M2

Shotguns
Remington 11-87 12 Ga.

H&R “Tamer” in .410

Pistols
Springfield Armory XD-40 SC with TruGlo TFO sights

Springfield Armory XD-40 Tactical with TruGlo FO sights

Kahr PM40

Ruger Mark II in .22LR

Baretta Mod 21A in .22LR

High Standard Citation in .22LR

S&W Mod 43 revolver in .22LR

Just getting into the ARs in the last month or so and like them a lot.

I’ve fired exactly two .44 Magnums, and wasn’t impressed with either so I’ve never had any desire to get one. I like my single action revolvers, and that almost always is a cowboy gun, so I have .45LC. Since they’re Rugers, if I need some extra punch I can build handloads that’ll get me close to .44 mag.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Really, I once got annoyed at a guy babbling on about the magic engine-block penetrating powers of the .44mag and how he’d never carry anything else for self defense and on and onanon. He was a twit, so between him and the Dirty Harry crap, I’ve avoided the caliber.

That’s pretty much the same ideal that I’ve taken with my purchases. I want guns that work, every time I try to use one. I’ll certainly admire the nice $2500 over/under shotguns when I go to the range on Sunday morning to shoot clays, but as they really don’t shoot any more targets than I do with my pump action Mossberg 500 (a <$200 shotgun), I don’t see the need for an expensive gun that I’d get upset about if I nicked the wood.

I see my “nicks & bumps” on the stocks of the rifles I own as a sign of a well used, and respected firearm. They’re nice when new, but feel like “mine” once they’ve gotten a few nicks into the stocks… just means I’ve actually used it for it’s stated purpose! Hopefully in the woods, with success! :smiley:

I have access to plenty of other calibers, and styles, but I’ve purchased or been given appropriate firearms to do the things I currently want to do in New England. If I head out again for moose, I’ll once again borrow my FIL’s .30-06 (I’ll claim it as mine someday. :D) If I head out west for some long range hunting of elk, I’ll find and borrow a friends 7mm magnum (or similar).

Good point. All of my firearms are shooters, not collectors pieces. Yeah, they don’t look as good as when they were new, but that’s the idea, they are not new.

My BIL and some friends went to the Nationals, Skeet I think, recently held in Sparta, IL. Saw some nice $60K shotguns in use and on display. I’d be afraid to take it out of the case! :eek: