SDMB Musical Lovers' Salon and Debating Society

You guys should work out a MiniMovieDope and watch it together.

Jayjay is going to check our local library for a copy of it. If not am going to scour the rental stores in our area. I should be able to find one somewhere.
Meanwhile am still thinking about my next choice. Should I do a more modern one or go for a classic?

My only advice would be to think through the availability thing a little better than I did. :smack:

Seriously? Pick one you love, at whatever level, for whatever reason.

I’m next in line for my library’s copy of Neptune’s Daughter! Don’t know how much I’ll post in these threads, but I’ll be lurking.

Hey! Count me in on the list.

Gotta get to the video rental place this weekend.

I would love to participate! In my social circles, I am the only one who likes and appreciates musicals so it would be great to have an outlet to explore and discuss this wonderful genre. Count me in! I have never seen Neptune’s Daughter and look forward to hunting this one down! What a great idea!!!

OOOoooo Please count me in! I just love musicals. I’ve seen *Neptune’s Daughter * several times but none lately. Checking to see if it’s at Blockbuster…

Club Secretary checking in…

Roll Call:

twickster
supervenusfreak
Maureen
moi
cervaise
amarinth
KrisfertheCat
lissener
Ilsa_Lund
koeeoaddi
Eonwe
TwoTrouts

If I didnt call your name, please come to the head of the class…
Never seen Neptunes Daughter, but I’ll be foraging through my local library or the Hollywood Video. Sounds faboo! :slight_smile:

Ahhh no no MAureen feel free to choose KMK, I just meant I wouldn’t have to go find a copy of it!

Daddy Long Legs is one of my all time favorite books… I shall be looking forward to seeing the movie!

Well that still didn’t come out right sigh

Pick what you like Maureen I’ll scour my brain for a choice of my own… and a backup just in case someone thinks like me (heaven help you if you do! :smiley: )

Maybe I should just go shower before twickster comes after me with a pillow!

Hey! No smacking unless you really mean it! :slight_smile: Trust me, you did a good thing. Am probably going to choose from my library too. It’s going to be hard to narrow it down though. :smiley:

I’d planned on paying off my video store late fee this weekend, so I’m definitely in! :slight_smile:

I’ll be lurking as well. I love musicals and I love discussing them, but I simply don’t have the time right now.

I’d like also to blow the horn for a blogger named Jaime J. Weinman, who has been writing some pretty fascinating essays on a lot of subjects, like Looney Tunes, opera, television sit-coms. He’s also posted a number of essays on obscure musicals, and rather than just tell you to poke through his archives, I’ll give you the direct links to the essays. If nothing else, it may give you some ideas of your own when the discussion starts up:

"Something For the Boys” (1943)

“Drat! The Cat” (1965)

E.Y. Harburg

"The Happiest Girl in the World” (1961)

“The Producers”

"Goldilocks” (1958)

“Why Sondheim Can’t Write A Love Song”

And, by the way, no, I don’t know Jaime, but I’m a fan of his writing

Agreed, but that was the tale as told. Me, I’d have ordered up several million cans of that Great Foam expanding insulation stuff, and had mahseff a party !!! Sucker never would have reverberated then !!

:smiley:

You may want to go with picking out musicals that are coming up on AMC or TMC so that all involved can easily participate without having to find obscure rentals. For example, on AMC: The King and I (1956), Monday, June 28, 5:45 AM.

I know Neptune’s Daughter has come up on the rotation, but, not in the next two weeks.

Peace.

Heh, heh, just snagged Neptune’s Daughter at the video store.

I would recommend anyone that hasn’t seen it to rent That’s Entertainment! III. It’s a documentary/retrospective on MGM musicals and would provide a lot of valuable background for the discussions. It even has a section on Esther Williams, including Neptune’s Daughter IIRC.

Please put me on the list – I’d like to participate to the extent that my local video store’s selection allows!

Not to knock the general validity of moriah’s suggestion, but not all people who might be interested in participating have access to cable television. Admittedly, I’m more likely to read the threads than post to them, and may or may not have enough time and energy to try to locate a copy of a particular movie, but picking one that is on cable doesn’t make my accessing it any easier, and I’d be surprised if I am the only one.

That said, I’d encourage choosers to pick a variety. some should be recent or otherwise seem likely to be readily accessible to most people, to encourage other persons to watch and contribute. But others can certainly be obscure favorites of the person selecting. That’s the great advantage of a message board like this. Those who are familiar with the obscure can chime in, and those who aren’t can read about it and learn something.

OK folks. I got a copy of Neptune’s Daughter from my local library, thanks to my hun JayJay. When you see him here give him a big ole hug for doing this for me.

Count me in. :slight_smile: