SDMB Server Migration/Upgrade Plan

So the official title is going to be Amnesia Weekend?

Kinda goes well with the accidental Winter of our Missed Content.

What’s the official time start on Friday, Chicago time?
Thanks, Jerry!

Yesterday? Then I think it’s probably a good idea to stick with 3.7.2… No need to suddenly go all cutting edge… (and I’m saying this in total seriousness. I dislike installing hot-from-the-oven, untried by the world at large, new versions of anything)

I like The Lost Weekend, myself.

Ooo! Ooo! I know this blue hedgehog, he’s anthropomorphic and can break the sound barrier. He could help, he’s a bit feisty though so you may need to up security.

I also nicked this miniature giant space hamster from a crazy guy with swords and purple face paint, he’s supposed to be WAY better than the normal hamster, you guys want him?
I’m SUCH a nerd

You people are no fun at all. :mad:

Jerry, are there any plans at this time to add back in the older threads that you removed and archived when things wee the worst response-wise – even if only read-only? I know there are serious issues on both sides of that question, but they did contain a wealth of valuable content, presently inaccessible. The reason I’m asking now is that it makes sense to fold that into the database upgrade process if you plan to do it at any time in the near future.

Jesus, you’re frightening. I was about to post this exact question, you weren’t the last poster when I opened the thread, but when I get to the end you’ve just asked what I was about to?

De doo doo doo de doo doo doo.

I’m gonna bribe the mods to look the other way with booze and chocolate, then tell you what I really think!

Its about time!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and thanks for making the effort to keep things live during the switch.

This is all excellent news; thanks to Jerry and everyone else involved.

I was pulling Pergo from my living room floor all day, so this post was a welcome sight for my sore self. This looks like fantastic news. Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I, for one, will absolutely be holding my breath until it actually happens.

My nipples explode with delight.

:: grimly picking out bits of flesh & hair from my cheerios ::

You know you’ll pay for this, right? I don’t actually need to say anything, I shouldn’t think.

Might I suggest mentioning this change in the other fora? Some folks might not notice it at the top of the list and will be surprised come Tuesday. I’m thinking of something along the lines of* what PBS has been doing lately, telling us, After. Every. Show. about the digital broadcast upgrade coming in February. (Do you all like to pretend to be surprised by those announcements the way we do at home?)

*But not quite so frequent, pleeeeease?

That’s what Jerry’s annoucement is for. It’s visible everywhere, and links to this thread. I’m not sure if there are ways to make it more visible.

Or The Labor Day of Our Missed Content.

Speaking as an IT guy who’s been tangled up in upgrades and migrations on holiday weekends before and forced to stay not only at home, but sober, I offer my deepest thanks to Jerry and crew. If we weren’t several states away, I’d invide you all over next weekend for a make-up barbecue.

Will you be auctioning off the old TRS-80 that we’ve been using all these years? :smiley:

I didn’t notice the announcement, actually.

An easy way to make the news really obvious would be to temporarily change the ‘tsdbanner.gif’ image that graces the top of each page with another image file containing the news.

Ditto here. I worked a 95-hour week, including 38 hours on Saturday and Sunday, on a server migration project a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t supposed to suck. Or, well, they promised me it wouldn’t. I made no such assumptions. Guess who was right.

Anyway. A grateful tip of the hat to Jerry and whomever else will be suffering through this.

What??? No Dope for threeeeeeeee dayyyysss???!!!11!!
Ok. Thanks! Here’s hoping things go as smoothly as possible with a minimum of fuss.
::crosses fngers::