Size of Known Universe / Age of Known Universe > c. What gives?

There’s an excellent article at the Scientific American site about this: Misconceptions about the Big Bang

My favorite part:

Hold on there, chief. There are observable (well, observed) objects with redshifts corresponding to superluminal recessions. The picture explanation is in the print version of the SciAm article CurtC just linked to, but the basic idea is that the light ray is stretched as well, though the galaxy isn’t. Basically, the galaxy was close enough when the light was emitted, but the stretching of the universe puts to too far away by now.

That’s not exactly how I read the article, but let’s go to the source:

Still, there is a limit to how far away something can be and emit light that can still be seen:

Correct, and the reciprocal of that is the Hubble time, which is a first approximation for the age of the Universe (for a better approximation, you need to know what sort of stuff the Universe is made of). It’s more commonly expressed in kilometers/second/megaparsec, though. Currently, the value is around 60 km/s/mpc, which is called the Hubble constant (a misnomer, since in most cosmological models, it’s not constant).

Look at it this way: the universe is expanding in multiple ‘directions’ (if I can accurately use that word), so its size would be increasing at a rate greater than the speed of light.

Read the OP. He took care of that thought…

Oh, yes. I didn’t mean to say that we can see everything, but within the range of what we can see are objects with redshifts corresponding to superluminal recessions.