So it seems I am now allergic to strawberries.

Strawberries dipped in sugar? BLASPHEMY!

Sorry about your reaction. Berify with your doctor, but in the future, I’d take a dose of Benadryl the very second I felt tingly. Have it on hand at all times, including the car. And I’d sure ask for an Epi-pen.

We have several Epi-pens because my husband has asthma and my daughter has hives-inducing allergies to just about everything. Had no idea that they expired in one year. I guess a trip to the physician is in order.

Many doctors seem to have a disturbing tendency to issue an epi-pen then never renew the prescription, as if they lasted a lifetime or something.

The other thing that always got me about them is that you’re supposed to keep them with you at all times BUT you’re supposed to always keep it at room temperature or nearly so. Oh, really? How do you propose I do that when I’m waiting for a bus on a street corner when it’s -10F ? Or when I’m working outside for 8 hours on a 90 F day? Do medical people have any contact with the real world?

We’re supposed to live like lab rats, in a lab, where all of our meals are kibble, which has been carefully formulated to supply us with our daily requirements of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, with all of that nasty flavor (of any sort) removed.

And I guess that you’ll just have to enjoy a BLT, and go to the ER to document the resulting allergy attack Broomstick.

Yep ;).

Oh, and for anyone considering such an experiment, best to snack on it in the ER waiting room. More seriously: I remember someone once posting to an allergy email list, that their doctor was so concerned about an allergy to something or other that the only way the doctor would consent to a challenge would be in a hospital setting, with an IV already in place, and with crash-cart equipment at hand. IIRC, the person in question declined to do the experiment.

Only reason I survived a penicilllin dosing was being in hospital at the time … the supervising poopooed me telling them i was allergic to pennicillin because i had ‘no documentation’ other than remembering my doctor telling my mom I was allergic …

Oops.

I carry epi pens because of my mushroom allergy, actually.

Heh, I developed an allergy to Levaquin while I was getting it via IV in a hospital. I’d had two bags of it, no problem, the nurse hung the third bag and started it going about 1 AM. At 1:20 I was hollering for a nurse to come in and bring some Benadryl IV, I was breaking out in hives and was horribly itchy. I guess my immune system decided that Levaquin was a danger to me at 1:01.

In a pocket next to your body.

I used one of those coolers that has a zippered pocket for sandwiches, outside of the area where the ice goes.

Medication cannot always be easy to store.

Obviously, neither you nor the designers of these devices have worn formal woman’s clothing, which features an astounding lack of pockets.

Equally obviously, you’ve never tried to put one of those things into a pocket. They certainly don’t fit in any pocket of any pair of jeans I’ve ever worn, much less any other clothing pocket. You’d need at least a medium size purse. At least. And that still wouldn’t keep it cool on a hot day.

Really, Lynn Bodoni has the right of it.

Every epi pen I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned quite a few over the years) is too long to fit into such a “pocket”. Epi “pen” is a bit of a misnomer, it’s more Epi Big Huge Jumbo Marker - no, that’s not right either. They’re still larger/longer than any marker I’ve ever seen. Unless there’s been some miniaturization breakthrough recently I’m unaware of.

Yes, I know - I have diabetics in my life, they have even worse problems.

No, I’ve never worn formal womens clothing but when I lived north I did have a parka with large inside pockets that would accommodate an Epipen.

However, since you don’t seem to want help with this, I’ll quit offering.

I dunno guys. it’s been 4 days now and I cannit function. at this point I htink it’s the medicine, but I can’t drive to get myself in front of a doctor. I think the perdnisone is messing me up. my facr=e still numb and I am dizzy and double vision. no coordination and I finally did msnsge to fall on the stairs. Clearly can’t type well. I am trying to get to the DR asap
because this should have passed by now, My father can’t believe I got so messed up by a strawberry (neither cen I) but here it is. I will ask about epi pens etc when I can see the doctor. I bought a big bix of benadryl and split it around so I can always get st some. There is strawberry in lotd of food. thank you all again for your well-wishes and concern.

Going back to ER. This is wrong.

I think it is actually about time for an ambulance ride … it should not be going on for 4 days.

Wonder if something has been cross contaminated with strawberry somehow…?

Scary stuff. I’m hoping and wishing and crossing my fingers that you come back here soon with a funny and wry anecdote about some huge misunderstanding and now you’re all better, TLT.

Yikes. Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Yes, definitely go back to the doctor.

It is possible it’s the steroids, as they can have significant side effects, but something else might be going on as well.

No, I don’t want your help with this because I don’t view you as someone capable of giving useful advice on any subject.

I was venting, not asking for help actually. I’m not surprised you don’t understand the difference.

I’m also a bit baffled that you have never worn formal women’s clothing, but whatever…

Ummm… judging by the quality of typing / spelling in this post, I’d really suggest you phone up someone with a medical degree. If you don’t know someone’s number by heart, try 911
or have someone drive you to the ER.

I’ve had a LOT of experience with prednisone - some quite recent - and unless you’re on MASSIVE doses like hundreds of milligrams a day, this should not be causing this.

Oh - and FYI, the prednisone will affect your blood pressure (northward).

I was puzzled by the Pepcid at first then realized it was probably to help with the prednisone-induced heartburn.

Also if you’re taking a lot of benadryl, that might account for some wooziness / dizziness.

Anyone else freaking out slightly that Time Like Tears hasn’t checked back in???

Not freaking out here. Probably s/he is zoning out a bit from whatever additional meds were administered, or s/he just isn’t feeling up to going online.