So long Dogface

Thank you everyone for the condolences.

Quick update:

Will be having a wake/memorial with the extended clan in about 6 weeks. I’m taking my whole family.

My Dad’s combat bayonet is set aside for me. I’m sure there is other stuff, including Elgin watches, but the bayonet is the one single thing I want as a keepsake.

Edited to add, 38th parallel was a typo. He was actually 21,000 yards south of the Yalu River on the Chinese boarder. Then involved in the longest retreat of the US Army.

Saw a copy of his discharge papers. He was awarded the World War 2 Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal Japan, and the Korean Service Medal with 1 Service Star.

We will be having a Celebration of Life in February with the clan.

I’m very sorry for your loss; what you wrote was beautiful. Keep him in your heart as he is now. Bless you and yours.

Sorry for your loss. He was a real upstanding guy.

You wrote a very moving tribute to your father. Thank you for sharing your memories and his stories. If you find the time and interest, I hope you will compile more of them.

My condolences on your loss.

That is a wonderful story, China Guy. May your father rest in peace. They don’t make them like him anymore.

Update: Flew in with my family last night to San Diego and a gathering of the clan. There were relatives I haven’t seen for 30 years (most on my step-mothers side, whom my father married about 32 years ago). Grandkids that were knee high to a gopher when I was at University now had kids of their own. My father and step mother lived in the little house next to my step sister’s home on a beautiful 3 acre piece of land that overlooks San Diego. That’s where my father spent the last 13 very happy years with my step mom, and we’ve all had many joyous visits and therefore fitting as the final bookend to a full life.

My bothers and sisters (I can drop the “step” now that y’all understand the landscape), had already set up one area with his MP uniform, bayonet, dog tags, army badges, MP blackjack, some of the tools of his watch making trade, whittling pieces and then an example of his post retirement hobby of putting together really fancy and intricate doll houses from wooden kits.

The other showcase had his diplomas, masonic lodge stuff, published book, and multiple certificates. It included a speech award from Whitworth College. I learned that my father had a bad stutter, and hence he double majored in Economics and Drama, and did speech. Color me surprised as the stutter is something I never knew, although my big brother witnessed it two or three times.

We held the Celebration of Life today in San Diego. It was a beautiful. unseasonally sunny day. Probably 100 people attended. Most relatives. My two brothers and my step brother and step-sisters all were part of the Celebration, most of their families, and most of the grandkids and great grandkids in attendance.

Before the service I met with the honor guards Sergeant Miller and Sergeant Jordan. I explained that my father had been a combat MP rifleman in the Philippines, Okinawa and then 21,000 yards south of the Yalu River before being a front line participant in the longest retreat in US Army history. One Sgt was a former MP and one was active, both had seen combat. I said then and later during the eulogy that my father would be most pleased as all combat vets were brothers in arms, and he would be especially pleased that bother were/had been MP’s.

My youngest, "Apgar to you old timers, played a nice piano piece to start things off. I gave the eulogy. One crowded, rich life with multiple acts. My brothers, step brother and step sisters all gave moving tributes. We recited his favorite bible passage, and sang his favorite hymn Be Thou My Vision. Several people shared some stories of my father. My 11 year old middle daughter came up front and shared the story when grandpa helped her build a sled out of wood with my less than workshop level of tools on a visit a few years ago.

I’m not sure what the actual book is called (I know it is originally from the Anglican book of common prayer, but the extremely well worn Presbyterian equivalent that my father used has a different name) but my big brother read the ashes to ashes and dust to dust entire passage and scattered a few ashes off of the back balcony where my father enjoyed so many years and shared sunsets.

Sergeants Miller and Ford then started the military honor guard portion. I’d never experienced this up close and personal. Let’s just say it was incredibly moving and not a dry eye in attendance as volunteer Jason Ford played taps. Sgt Miller and Ford explained the protocol, unfolded the flag, folded the flag, and then presented the flag to my step mother with all the pomp and military precision possible, and said the words that thanked my father for his service. Both Sergeants truly appeared moved by their part in the tribute to a fellow combat vet.

My step sister managed to close it out. It’s not easy to follow taps and the flag folding ceremony. But she did. Then stories were told, tales grew taller, remembrances shared, cousins played with cousins that hadn’t seen each other for years, cousins bonded with cousins met for the first time, babies were kissed, spouses introduced, swapped advice with those who were last seen as children but now fellow parents, a lot of hugs, played in the pool, enough great food for an army, plenty of alcohol, toasts, s’mores, pizza and leftovers at night, and a farewell to 87 years of a fully lived life.

RIP

Edited to add that his favorite passage that was recited was Luke 18: 1-14.

Also, that the verbiage of the military honor guard was along the lines of ‘On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Army, and a grateful Nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service.’

One additional bump. My father had set aside a pretty big jewelry box that contained a variety of Elgin brand watches, mainly pocket watches, a couple of ounces of jewelry gold that could be melted down (watch links and other type stuff).

My eldest was attracted to a square, kinda art deco Elgin watch. She’s been winding it and wearing it around. She wore it tonight to her induction in the Honors Art Society of America (or something like that for high school students). Well, we looked it up tonight and found out that Elvis had endorsed the watch. Who knew? Well, obviously my father knew, but never shared that out.

There are photos of Elvis wearing the watch hereand the-watchwhisperer.com.

How cool is that?

China Guy, I missed this thread when it first appeared, and I’m sorry for that. It sounds as if you are dealing well enough with the loss of your dad, but I know that sometimes, for no apparent reason, one will stop and ge flooded with memories, some sad, some good.

I hope most of those times are good for you.

China Guy, I also missed this the first time, but am glad I saw it this time. Your father reminded me of my dad, the stories are slightly different, but the background, the way he treated others, all seem to be what I remember, too. I have a picture of my dad in his SSG uniform, circa 1943, sitting by my desk at work. Just looked at it as I finished reading your words and…well, just thank you.

Thank you.