So what's your opinion of Stephen King?

I went with “he’s a very good read.” Had he only written The Stand, 'Salem’s Lot, The Shining, and (the first 90 percent of) It, which going by pagecount is still a pretty healthy output for a career, I think his reputation would be much more solid.

I’m reading American Supernatural Tales, an anthology published by Penguin (which, BTW, for aficionados of the genre, has some not-oft-seen stories in it). It’s edited by the Lovecraftian scholar and horror critic S.T. Joshi, who writes in the book’s introduction:

I disagree with Joshi about King’s endurance – he’ll be read for many, many generations. There are certainly more skilled and technically proficient writers out there, but he has come up with some doozies of storylines, some excellent short stories and novellas (*Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption *and *The Body *come immediately to mind, but there are many others), and he has managed to scare the bejeezus out of millions of people (including me on many occasions). He’s got a lasting legacy.

Ditto plus one also too.

I think he is the worst thing a writer can be: boring. I read one and a half of his novels before giving up on him. Granted, that’s not much of a sample and could easily have just been poor choices, but with the huge page-counts of his tomes, that’s all the chances I could afford to give him. I only have so many years in me!

I mostly don’t like the kind of stuff he writes, but have probably read 6 books that I can think of and have loved all of them. I think he is a terrific writer and, if next week, he wrote something about a subject that interested me I would read it in a flash.

I answered Okay.

I think his early novels and most of his short stories are quite good, but his popularity gave him too much power. Much of his later work should have been edited or left in a trunk.

My other favorite writers haven’t disappointed me, but that might be because they aren’t so popular, and so I haven’t had the opportunity to read their crap.

I haven’t read too many of his books, but I particularly enjoyed The Stand, weak ending and all, and some of his other stuff I’ve read. I also usually enjoy his collumns in Entertainment Weekly.

I thought Cell and Duma Key were both great books…

If you meet a guy who says he doesn’t read, get him a copy of The Shawshank Redemption. If he’s seen the movie, he’ll hear the voice of Morgan Freeman as he reads. The movie narration comes straight from the book. I’ve gotten a couple of people to start reading this way. I don’t know if women are as into the movie as guys are, but if they are, it should work as well.

He’s a fun read, but he can’t write an ending for shit. Under the Dome was the first and only one I’ve ever read of his that I stopped reading halfway through because I didn’t give a crap, which is too bad. Normally there’s something to like even in his more lackluster books.

ETA - one of the great selling points of the Kindle for me was that every book weighs the same on it. :slight_smile:

I think he is fabulous. Even his stuff that is not great is still much, much better than some of the other things lining the shelves at my local Borders. His short story N is one of the scariest things I’ve ever read and I don’t think I’ve ever picked up one of his books and regretted the decision later. Well, 1 short story was something I feel like I could have lived my life without reading. His book 4 past midnight has some incredible stuff, most famously being the collection that contains The Langoliers. It also has a story called The Library Policeman that was absolutely horrid. Other than that one story I have loved pretty much everything I’ve ever read by King.

Duma Key suffered horribly from King-ending-itis, don’t act otherwise. The first half, maybe even two thirds, was fantastic though.

I answered that I think he’s absolutely awesome, and I do, but GargoyleWB’s description is really much more apt. Mr. King is my favorite writer and seems to be a helluva guy as well. I don’t see that changing no matter how much crap he publishes in future.

I don’t like any of his newer stuff, and even some of his older stuff could get kind of annoying. I used to really love him in high school, though it’s a bit hard for me to reread him. He tends to get really melodramatic to the point where even when the books are interesting, I don’t actually feel frightened.

King is a writer with extremes of inconsistency.

When he’s bad, he’s just terrible (the shit weasels in Dreamcatcher, anyone?) but when he’s good, he’s great - think of the Shawshank Redemption, the first three books of the Dark Tower series, etc.

He has really soft hands, like the hands of a man who doesn’t do manual labor for a living.

I shook his hand at a reading a couple years ago. I looked the man dead in the eye and thanked him. He may not have realized, I wasn’t thanking him for his stupid autograph; I was thanking him for his years of influence on me as a writer. Bless the man, he is the modern-day Poe. (Not all of Poe’s work was full of Teh Awesome either. Believe me, I’ve read most of both of 'em.)

I think you can’t judge King by reading just one or two of his books. Some have just little tiny snippets of brilliance in them. Some are pure genius from page 1 to the end. Most are somewhere in the middle. After Carrie and Salem’s Lot, there isn’t a whole lot of scary monster/gory horrorshow stuff. You can only do vampires, ghosts, and zombies in so many ways before it all starts to be a cliche of itself, right? Most of is work after those first 4 or 5 novels are about the Unknown that scares the bejeezus out of most of us. The really creepy stuff is what’s in our heads. When King shows us this, it makes a lot of readers very uncomfortable to think about the idea that I might have some sick and twisted shit rattling around in my head too.

Some artistic/literary merits to King’s work, IMO:

•He writes great women. His female characters feel real to me and do not sound like a man trying to write from a woman’s perspective. (See Ira Levin for the anti-example of this. His women are vapid idiots and do not resemble real women in real life at all. John Updike’s women also are one-dimensional bullshit characters.) For some really awesome examples of writing female characters with realism and integrity, see also Delores Claiborne (“Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to.”), Rose Madder (brilliant description of the mindset of an abused wife, very accurate), and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (written from the point of view of a 12-year-old girl, which is DEAD ON). Also, Misery is brilliant too.

•He is the master at building suspense. This is much more difficult to do as a writer than one might think, especially when coupled with creating characters a reader actually cares about. In Delores Claiborne (IMO, one of his masterpieces. Can you tell it’s my favorite?), you find out who dies by page 3. Not only does he step outside of the standard third-person voice in that book and tells the entire store in flashback from a single, female character’s point of view, but he builds the suspense backwards. You already know the who died and who done it in the first chapter. The only reason to keep reading to the end is to answer the Why. Brilliant use of suspense and voice. Fucking brilliant.

My advice to those who aren’t as familiar: stick to the earlier works, try to enjoy the more obscure/less mainstream novels and short stories, and avoid anything he wrote while coked out of his brains. That would include the It/Tommyknockers era, most of which was complete crap. It was just offensive to me on so many levels; he could have done so much more with the fear-of-clowns trope.

Oh, and I liked Dreamcatchers. I can’t tell you why; I just did, shit weasels and all.

And no King thread would be complete without more discussion of The Dark Tower series. I read that shit faithfully, waiting patiently for years in between installments. Then the rat bastard has the balls to get hit by a car and, worried that he’d die before finishing DT, he quick like a bunny whipped off an ending that was obviously written through a haze of painkillers from the accident. I believe the last book in that series was the last King book I read. The ending pissed me off so badly (actually, inserting himself into the story as a character pissed me off to no end), that I actually threw the goddamned book across the room when I finished it and have not picked up another SK book since. Fucker. I’m convinced it was just rushed and he hadn’t thought it through. He just hurried up and wrote the thing because his publishers were all “Don’t go all J.D. Salinger on us!”

Feh.

:: spits on the ground in disgust ::

:smiley:

I actually always felt the opposite, that his women weren’t that realistic to me. Some of them were–granted, I haven’t read Dolores Claiborne or Rose Madder. But a lot of them (Leigh in Christine is the first one to come to mind) just come off as too idealized–really beautiful and really nice, too, but not threatening to the male characters. Kind of what a guy might want to have, but not what you’d identify with.

I also never understood why people think Ira Levin’s female characters are vapid. Rosemary was naive, but I wouldn’t call her vapid or unrealistic. The main characters of Stepford Wives (well, initially) are very strong and empowered. Haven’t read Sliver in a while, but I remember the main character working and being more or less successful as an editor (I think?). One of the female characters in A Kiss Before Dying was kind of dumb, but I don’t think the others were. I’m not really sure where that whole idea comes from–that Ira Levin’s female characters are badly written, or that he’s misogynist (I know you didn’t say that but I’ve heard that a lot).

Dolores Claiborne was awesome and one of my favorite books and female characters.

Freudian Slit, Christine falls under the category of “written while coked out of his brains” and is to be skipped. Check out any of the four books I cited in my previous post and let me know what you think. The books I cited all came later, after rehab, and it felt like he’d sat down with his wife and daughter and quizzed them about how they think and how they’d react or how they’d feel about a given event/plot point. I read empathy in his writing, like he’d walked a mile in some stiletto heels or something.

I can’t explain why I hate Ira Levin’s female characters except that every time I read one of his novels, I’m extremely irritated by the end of the first chapter at how all the women seem to be one-dimensional stereotypes. It’s like Levin only knows three women and they all have the same personality and he’s* never* met a woman in his life who operates *outside *of The Usual Chick Bullshit.

I actually really liked Christine, the characterization of Leigh notwithstanding. It’s one of my favorite books of his.

In general, I never really felt like Ira Levin’s strong point was characterization, but I still liked his books. But I never found myself really thinking that his female characters were all that different from his male ones in terms of reactions. Granted, in Rosemary’s Baby…

Rosemary is pretty naive. But who among us would suspect that we’re giving birth to Satan’s child? Others have pointed out that staying with Guy after he told her he went ahead with “baby night” after she passed out was insane because how could she live with a rapist husband? But at the time, I don’t think many women would have thought they could apply the word rape to a marital situation, so that felt real to me. For the most part, I thought I’d probably react in the same way as many of his characters, male or female.