Southern Insults

Well, aren’t you sweet (with a forced smile)

I lived in TX for a couple years back when I was in my early 20s, transplanted from the NYC area. I didn’t know what it meant at the time, but I sure had my heart blessed an awful lot back then. :frowning:

And looking back on it, deservedly so. :stuck_out_tongue:

How do Southern women say “fuck you”?

“That’s nice.” (With the accent and a smirk, natch.)

Personally I like the phrase “some mothers’ children…” said regretfully, with a dash of disdain.

I don’t know if it’s a Texas phrase but me likey.

Judging by that “y’all aren’t from around here?”, Navarra must be in the Southern USA. Who would’a thunk! It’s one of those sentences that can make a whole bar shut up and pay attention.

Well isn’t that special.

From decades before the Church Lady.

If someone says “Wellll…” in sort of a singsong manner (seems like Southerners and Chinese have similar tonal qualities sometimes), they either disagree with you vehemently or just don’t care about what you’re saying. The other usage is similar to the more sympathetic definition of “bless your heart”.

But a lot of what we’re posting here are what “nice” southerners say. Not-so-nice southerners can be pretty foul-mouthed.

“She ain’t no better than she outta be.”

In other words, the coded, catty version of, “That girl is overreaching/completely unworthy/a huge bitch.”

And, of course, there’s The Look. Most women have their version of The Look, but it’s an art form in the South, various versions of which are handed down from generation to generation among the genteel womenfolk.

Yeah, The Look goes through walls. You can even get it over the phone.

Oh dear.

First, I don’t hear “aren’t” much when that phrase is used. “Ain’t” would be the proper vernacular. :wink:

And second, :confused:. When I was first transplanted (originally from Ohio) from South Florida to the Upstate portion of South Carolina, this was said to me all the time. I thought it was Southern for “So, where are you from?”

Are you telling me it actually means, “Damn Yankee, Go HOME!”?

Another cultural mishap: I went to work all pissed off one day. SC native walks up to me, sees I’m in a foul mood and inquires, “Are you ill?” I snapped back at him, “No, I feel just fine! Fuck off!” And then I was baffled when he laughed. But then he explained to me that “ill” means “pissed off” not “unhealthy” or “sick.” :smiley:

“Hon” is another name for "Bitch.

[ul]
[li]No, really, do go on.[/li][li]“God love him” followed by just about anything, e.g. “God love him, he tries so hard.”[/li][li]Thank you for sharing that.[/li][li]Aren’t you precious![/li][li]I’m not saying that you’re X, but …[/li][li]That’s nice.[/li][li]Anything that ends with “considering.” Jenny looked really nice in that dress, considering. Yes, that period belongs there.[/li][/ul]

**Kyrie **got most of them in one complete list. (Bless your heart, Opal!)

Don’t know if it was just her or if it’s a true Southernism, but I used to work for a woman who would express horror, disdain, WTF, etc. in the same quiet way:

“Wouldn’t have been *my *choice.”

It has to be said in a quiet voice but with a certain arch to the eyebrows.

Ye GODS, CP. Even I know about SEC rivalries.

“Pointy-headed”. Especially pointy-headed liberal (courtesy of Jesse Helms).

It may, but I used it to excuse Mrs. Plant’s behavior when she first arrived…not realizing that if she did not own a deviled egg tray we were living in sin, for example.
“She’s not from around here.”
:slight_smile:

Well, it can mean that, but like so many Southernisms it can mean a lot of different things depending on context. It can mean “So, where you from?” or “You’re in for a dose of culture shock” or “Fuck you and the horse you rode in on” or several things in between. It’s not as versatile as blessing someone’s little old peapicking heart, but it’s still pretty flexible.

I heard “some people kids!” often in Wisconsin. And it seems to have been familiar on the other side of the Atlantic, too

“Bless his/her heart” is wonderfully versatile. You can say anything about anyone, no matter how rude, if you preface it with “bless his heart”, as in: “Bless his heart, he’s a dumb as a box of rocks” or “Bless her heart, she’s as ugly as homemade sin.”

“He/she don’t have the sense God gave a goose.”