Stories or novels written in unusual tenses/perspectives

Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm is written in the first person omniscient. The narrator (the “I” in the title) is Margaret’s subconscious, which picks up on cues that Margaret doesn’t even see herself and thus knows in general what other people are thinking.

Three Cups of Tea. Greg Mortenson is the main credited author and David Oliver Relin is the secondary. I’m guessing Relin did most of the heavy lifting; how else to explain Mortenson referred to in the third person and lots of testimonials to what an amazing man he is? It’s a little jarring.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon

1st person but that person is a high functioning autistic kid.

Steven Millhauser has written a bunch of short stories in the 1st person plural, present tense (like “Beneath the Cellars of Our Town” from the collection The Knife Thrower, “Cathay” from In the Penny Arcade, and others) – he uses that POV in a way that suggests the entire town is speaking.

My go-to example of this is William Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying.

Each chapter is a first-person narrative from the perspective of one of the characters, which changes from chapter to chapter. (The title of each chapter is the narrating character’s name.)
It’s also written in present tense – though, oddly, the novel’s title is past tense.

For what it’s worth, second-person writing usually bugs the crap out of me. There’s a certain essayist for a certain local paper who’s a talented writer, but she uses second person way too much.
Made-up-by-me example: “You’ve always been intimidated by your mother-in-law’s cooking skills, and you know she’ll be critical of your dinner party.”
I always think, no, that’s not true of me at all! You don’t know me!!!

Hell, if first person singular counts as long as that person’s a bit odd or more than one character gets a chance to narrate, then there are millions, possibly billions of books that count and have been for centuries.

Present tense is becoming more and more popular these days. Now that the whole first person present tense is old hat, we get third person present tense! oh joy.

I find present tense jarring and unnatural for a story retelling. It’s mostly chosen now because it’s the cool thing to do, not because the author thinks it’s the best way to tell the story.

Sorry. Rant over. You can just ignore me over here in the corner waving my fist at the collective publishing houses of the US.

From the same author, House of Leaves. The text is supposedly a book manuscript written by an author named Zampanò, about a particular house and its inhabitants’ discoveries, and the film made by the owner on the house and what happens around it. A neighbor named Johhny discovers the book after the man dies, and begins to look into this mysterious topic, and adds his notes as footnotes (in addition to the original footnotes made by the writer). Sometimes those footnotes ramble off into seemingly unrelated stories about his own life, though the materials in the manuscript are obviously having an affect on him as well. At some point, this work makes it to a publishing house editor and both the original text and footnotes have editor’s notes on them. Footnotes on one particular topic are redlined out. An appendix includes the letters from Johnny’s mother to him, written from her in an insane asylum. You discover during the course of reading that the various narrators may not be entirely reliable, as well.

That’s not even going into the odd text formatting that happens in places, or that the word house is always printed in blue. Various codes are woven into the text; sometimes they don’t seem to be there for any good reason, and sometimes they reveal horrifying information.

Molly Zero by Keith Roberts.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7OjWhAngOmsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22molly+zero%22&source=bl&ots=pyffimCmtx&sig=9fVG20gfsFy1BdQ10T5U24T80Lw&hl=en&ei=4NZhS9qID5u80gSYxOXiDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Could be hard to find, but After the First Death was the book they used when I was in high school to teach POV

The Sammy Keyes books are in the first person point of view, but has a very weird tense.

The character only speaks in the present tense, like the events are going on at the moment she is describing them.