"Strictly Enforced" Speed Limits

When I first moved up here I ran across one of these signs in MA on Rt. 1. But I couldn’t find a speed limit sign anywhere. The road was in bad shape, full of ruts and bumps from pothole repairs and some obvious utility work under the roadway. I assumed there was some really slow speed limit to adhere to. Eventually I noticed a speed limit sign, it was 45mph. Going that fast on that section of road would have shaken the windows out of the car. Eventually the road was repaved, it’s nice and smooth now, but the ‘strictly enforced’ are gone. Not sure what they were doing there in the first place.

Interesting thread-does “strictly” imply any legal meaning? What if you saw a sign that said “Speed Limit Enforced”? I live in Massachusetts, and everybody here drives 10-15 MPH over the posted speed limit (on Rt. 128). Is mass ignorance of the law a defense in court? I do respect the law-I wind up driving in the right-most lane most of the time So while I am being passed by people doing 65-70 MPH, if a cop stops me for speeding (5 mph over the limit), will the judge accept that I actually am closer in compliance to the law?

Fines for speeding are usually based on how much over the limit you were caught.

“Strictly” does not imply any legal meaning, IMHO. IANAL.

Imagine my surprise at finding out 128 was the route number and not the speed limit.

Imagine your surprise when you received the fine for speeding on Rte 128!

While most traffic offenses in most states are known as “strict liablity” offenses, that simply means no culpable menatl state need be proven, meaning you can worm out due to the fact you did not see the sign, etc, of course that is not always true.

“Strictly enforced” means, without loking, the law imposes an absolute penalty, no waivering in between fines, no slack.

This is what Speed Laws Strictly Enforced means.

In Australia (well at least Victoria) speed is always strictly enforced. They allow an error margin of 3kmh (2mph) and knock this off the speed read by the radar, so I got done for going 103kmh (64mph) in a 100kmh (62mph) zone.

Yep they are pretty tough, we also have one of the lowest road fatality rates in the world so I don’t have a problem with it. We all understand that there is a 10% error rate on radars but tough is the answer, what actually happens is people drive below the limit.

Yep, we are mad for the speeding fines, I mean enough dosh has to generated to pay for the wall of advertising telling us not to.

“Strictly Enforced” signs do exist though - at roadworks. I guess they can’t have people seeing that there is no grille-fodder available and subsequently treating it as normal conditions.

Similar to what someone else posted about Atlanta, which has a 55 limit on their urban interstates, here in St. Louis, most interstates around here are posted at 60, but I could swear that most of 'em are doing 70, maybe 75. So yes, you will get run over at 60. LOL

Personally, if traffic conditions permit, I will set my cruise control at 65 and let everyone else pass me (and get all the tickets). And here in Missouri, I have NEVER been pulled over for doing 5 over (overall, I’m a pretty conservative driver), although I will do exactly the speed limit if I’m somewhere where I know that the speed limits are strictly enforced.

Driving an 18 wheeler like I did, you’re often considered a target for revenue enhancement. So, up to 5 mph+ on an interstate UNLESS it’s a posted work zone, then not faster than the posted speed limit. I always figured off an interstate, any speed limit where the final digit is a 0 and not a 5 is a speed trap and kept it a couple of mph slower.

Once, near Santa Rosa, NM, I got the distinct impression that I really disappointed a police officer when I stopped on the far side of the road for a school bus with flashing red lights.

For what it’s worth there are states where exceeding a posted speed limit is “absolute” evidence of unsafe driving, and others where it is “prima facie” evidence. In the latter case you can go to court and argue that although you were exceeding the posted limit you were, nevertheless, driving safely under existing conditions and are not guilty of any infraction. The judge can accept your argument. In an “absolute” state, if you are over the posted limit, you are guilty of an infraction, full stop.

So the notion that some limits are “strict” and others subject to reasonable interpretation based on conditions is not entirely without some basis in the law. I doubt that’s relevant to this sign, however.

A joke from back in the 60’s in the DFW Mid-Cities area:

A cop stops a woman driving 80 MPH through Grand Prairie. When told that he had clocked her at 80, she pointed to a sign and said, “It says 80!”

“That’s the highway number, Ma’am. Now you just go on, but keep it 45.”

“Aren’t you going to give me a ticket?” she asked.

“No, Ma’am, I’m just glad I caught you before you got to 360!”

OTOH, traffic on LBJ Freeway seems to go the speed of its interstate number, unless it’s rush hour and the freeway turns into the world’s largest parking lot.

I used to drive to work through a short stretch like this, and it was **vigorously **patrolled. Someone claimed to have been almost ticketed for riding his bicycle too fast on that street (but a motivated bicycle rider can evade a car).

But are you high at the time?

I always assumed those signs were just a sort of psychological warfare- used to scare drivers a bit in high accident areas. I can’t imagine them having any bearing on the enforcability of the speed.

And to those talking about enforcement in different areas, it seems like in recent years MA has stopped caring about speed, at least during rush hour. I find the general flow of traffic on 495 to be about 75, with the entire fast lane doing 80, every day both directions. I assume that this has to do with the traffic being so bad around here. Pulling someone over just isn’t worth it because it creates a massive snarl.

In a great many cities, you don’t dare drive faster than 0.01 mph in a school zone when all the kiddies are getting out.

I used to live in a town with a “Town Meeting” government where we all got together twice a year and voted on the budget and town laws and such. At one meeting one of the issues was a 30mph stretch of road that seemed to attract speeders. After many angry speeches about the speeders and much debate over how to stop them someone got tired of the debate and made a formal motion that the town police be instructed to ticket anyone going “even one mile per hour over the speed limit!” None of the hundreds of residents angry with the speeders was willing to second that motion.

Nonsense. Try driving the exact speed limit on I5 for example- you’ll get run over by 18 wheelers, create a traffic jam, and likely cause accidents.

A truly responsible driver will drive the* safe speed*, keeping in with the flow of traffic.