"Sweet Caroline" and Fenway Park

I assume she (?) means this.

The link is broken.

Ah right. Looking it up I see the Irish Rovers had a big hit with it. It’s not one I’ve ever heard at ballad sessions here.

There’s an even better song associated with the Red Sox winning. I don’t know why Red Sox fans haven’t adopted it more.

Tessie isn’t bad, but “Shipping Up to Boston” would be a better choice from the Dropkick Murphys".

That was the first thing I thought if when I saw this discussion. The second thing I thought was that a song which contains the repeated line “I’ve lost my leg!” would not be the best way to show solidarity with Boston at this time.

Good point, I didn’t think through the lyrics. Ooh, that’s going to be interesting when that song gets played.

Because it’s annoying to listen to, and not that good a sing-along. Unlike, say, the Murphys’ “Kiss Me, I’m Shitfaced”.

Ever since it came out that ND wrote this about Caroline Kennedy, and I did the math (I think she was about 14 when he wrote it), this song creeps me out.

Didn’t that come out recently? And long after the song had been adopted by the Sox?

The song became the 8th inning tradition in 2002 and it has nothing to do with the subject of the song. That information came out from Neil Diamond later (2007). But I don’t think that has any impact on whether or not you can be creeped out knowing the story behind the song.

Neil Diamond creeps me out anyway. People singing the song just annoy me.

You really shouldn’t litter.

If you’re throwing things in train stations, could you please remember to throw Charlie that extra nickel? :wink:

I don’t know what does.

A related aside here: I think the SF Giants are trying to make Journey’s Lights be something of a theme song. They already play Tony Bennett’s I Left My Heart in San Francisco after every home game.

Not fourteen – ELEVEN.

Since he was speaking nearly forty years after its original release, I suspect that Diamond just retrofitted the Kennedy connection onto the song.

Bumping this one…on the news today there was a story about a petition to replace “Sweet Caroline” with Tom Petty’s “Won’t Back Down” at Fenway Park

Bad timing since the Sox were just eliminated. Also, Petty was from Florida and had no connection with Boston beyond playing there a number of times. Aren’t there any other songs from Boston or New England bands or singers they could use instead?

Let’s move this over to the Game Room. Note that the thread was started in 2013.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I agree. It would be a better fit for the Miami Marlins or the Tampa Bay Rays.