Text Messages in the US.

I text occasionally, most often to/from my kids, for the same reason congodwarf mentioned. It’s not as big an interruption as a phone call. I can tell the person what I want to, they can reply whenever they can.

The big text market is for kids. Maybe because they can text in school without getting in trouble. At least between classes, sometimes during classes. My son and his friends can use thousands of messages a month. Sounds like a lot, but think of each text message as a sentence in a conversation; often several conversations going on at one time. 6000 text messages a month is 200 a day, 100 sent, 100 received. Often, a message is one letter - 'k?

I don’t send or get very many (most days none, max maybe a dozen a day) but I think they’re great.

My boss texts me from a jobsite or convention so customers can’t overhear him asking me stupid questions.

They are the best way to give someone a phone number or address, because they don’t have to write it down or print it out.

Unlike a voice call, one feels no obligation to read or return them instantly, a few minutes later will do.

The only time I see my kids or any of their friends using their cell phone to talk is when a parent calls. 99% of the time it’s texting.

They’ve gotten me into it and now I find many situations that I prefer text over call.

When I told my son he was texting too much, he mentioned a girl in his school had used 23,000 text messages one month. I thought that was unlikely, but a blog I ran across mentioned 14,000 in one month by one user, 35,000 by another user; and mentions as a record 182,689 messages in one month, by an adult male - one message every 15 seconds.

I don’t like sending text messages from a cell phone, but I happily send/receive text messages from Gmail, several of my friends text a lot.

I don’t understand that. What can they possibly be talking about that much? I don’t communicate that much with my partner!

I have a feeling those text messages would make for extremely dull reading.
Some people use text messages as a means of communication/control among automated systems, so maybe that’s where the 180,000 figure comes from. Unlikely to explain the school girl’s 23,000 though, I wouldn’t have thought.

For those who haven’t seen text messages, here’s a couple typical ones; one from my kid:

“Or ill just cal ma n tell her 2 call u.”

Another from a girl friend who had a stomach ache:

“How tha chinese food - get queeze thinkn of food”

Pretty bad huh? And the GF can’t spell, but oh well, these are just quick one-use messages. The less characters in the message, the less of a pain it is to enter on a number pad. And punctuation is even more difficult, as evidenced by the lack thereof. But text messages don’t exactly promote good English usage. If you’re having an extended text message conversation, a lot of messages are just going to be “okay”, or “lol” or whatever.

I am over 30, hate text messaging, and do it as little as possible. But I have a teenage sister who loves texting and does it as much or more than actual phone calls, and I believe this is the norm among the younger crowd. Several of her friends have told me they view texting as a way to send quick, informal messages. According to them, a phone call disrupts whatever you’re doing since you need to stop and pay attention to the other person. A quick text can be ignored upon receipt and answered at leisure.

(Edited to add: I am in the US)

On my Iphone, unlimited texting is included in the data plan. On my Sprint phone, I pay $99 for unlimited everything, but if I didn’t do that, it would cost $10/month for unlimited texts…vs .25 for each one individually.

I find them most useful when you need to communicate but can’t talk–in a club or bar, at the gym and you don’t want to stop and have a conversation but need to communicate, at work in an office with coworkers around, in a meeting, or to do a blast message to several people at once.

also–if you are talking to someone who is giving you info that you need to save, it’s often easier to have them hang up and text you the info(phone numbers, directions, shopping lists, plans, etc)