The 9th Annual Steelers March to the Super Bowl Thread

My bad. Here I thought this was a public message board for the sharing of opinions. Especially in light of this being the “9th annual” repetition of the same opinion by Steeler fans. Had I known that they were only supposed to be “THE REFS ARE OUT TO GET THE STEELERS!!! AND JAMES HARRISON GETS HELD ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY!!!” fanwanks, I wouldn’t have bothered.

I didn’t think that was a point of contention. I know of no one who thinks flagrant fouls shouldn’t be penalized. Good for you for holding that opinion! You going to come out against child rape anytime soon?

Seriously? You think NFL players are willing to sacrifice their careers and their health by leading with their head in an effort to draw a measly 15 yard penalty? I think it is nigh but inane to believe that some WR will think to himself “God I really hope this defender hits me in the helmet with his helmet, so I can get a 15 yard penalty! Nevermind the much higher risk of a concussion that will knock me out of football for a few games, put my career at risk, and cut a few years off my life!”

Well, maybe Hines Ward, but that’s only because he’s such a gamer.

It is. I disagree. Sorry if that upset you.

That’s just it. it’s not a point of contention. In fact, it’s so obvious that it’s hardly worth stating. But yet, here we are at the point where non-flagrant fouls will result in fines and suspensions simply because a player is already committed to an action and can’t stop. Should that be the case? Nope, not in my opinion.

That’s a natural consequence of playing football. You act like the head injury thing is the cause of every problem football players have after retirement. And yes, I think some of them will recognize the situation and do so under some circumstances because they know that they cannot be hit or it’s a fine/suspension and as such can get another 5-10 yards.

Ah, I missed this so much.

My son, LOUNE, is 30, yet he still follows Lion football. He has not seen a decent team. I had Lion season tickets for many years. Back in Tiger stadium when they were a good team and there was no Superbowl. Later ,I had to be satisfied with watching Barry Sanders. I had season tickets through his entire career, In 2035, I will be 92. I am is a little more of a hurry than that.
For Lion fans, a good day is when Stafford isn’t carried off the field.
The Steelers however suck. They are like a northern Dallas Cowboys. You have to like Iron City beer to watch them.

They sure do. I have to tell you, it sucks seeing them in the playoffs virtually every year, it sucks seeing them winning Super Bowls in my lifetime, and yes, it sucks rooting for a team with the most wins since the merger. How I live with myself I’ll never know. I might just have to break out my copy of Super Bowl XLIII to let my butthurt fester.

Superbowl 16 was here. I was a long time season ticket holder. they held a drawing for tickets. Of course I did not even get to see that one.

Since you have been running this thread
2009 9 -7
2006 8-8
2003 6-10
1999 6-10
1998 7-9
Not exactly a yearly march to the bowl.

Wow, you’re really bad at math. The first thread was in 2003. Since 2003 they have missed the playoffs twice, each time by a single game. They have also made four AFC Championship Games (a 50% success rate), won it 3 times (a 37.5% success rate), and won two Super Bowls (a 25% success rate). This in a conference with 16 teams including the Patriots and the Colts.

I know you’ve never felt any embarrassment about anything you’ve posted before, but before you start telling me about my non-existent threads in 1998, preceding the existence of this very board, you might want to check the join date right under my user name or count backwards 8 years from 2011 (this being the 9th thread, stated in the title). I know, details like reality are trifling, but there it is.

It’s just not fair to hold James Harrison to what he said.

:wink:

Or even the 9th Annual Steelers March to Relegation and join the Canada Football League.

Wow, there’s a lot of hate in this thread…I thought this sort of feeling was reserved for teams like the Yankees, or the Lakers, or Man U.

There wouldn’t be a twinge of jealousy anywhere among these posts, would there?

I, for one, am incredibly jealous of last year’s crushing Super Bowl victory by the Steelers. It is that reason alone - well, specifically that I have difficulty processing my feelings of simultaneous inferiority compared to, but also unslakeable erotic love for, the fans of the nine-times-running and particularly 2010-defending Super Bowl undefeated victors - that makes me dislike these threads.

The Steelers are so clearly always winning all these Super Bowls all the time, like they did last year, and if it were the case that they ever lost a game, it’s so obviously true that it would be because the league has suddenly and with malicious intent invented a rule that (for instance) you can’t divebomb the crown of your armored skull into another man’s brachial plexus like you were an Arctic tern and he had a herring under his chinstrap, that it just seems ungracious to always be reminding us of these inescapable facts. God, we know you won the Super Bowl last year, and we are aware of the conspiracies that would hypothetically exist if you hadn’t, you know what I mean? We’re not stupid. And that makes me feel jealousy inside.

Can only speak for myself, of course.

To be fair Harrison apologized for those comments so he clearly would piss on Goodell if he (Goodell) were on fire.

Anyway I took that to mean that a drop and roll was more appropriate in that particular hypothetical situation so I’m not sure that’s an improvement.

I didn’t catch much of the preseason game but in what I did see the Steelers looked pretty stale. Especially their pass defense. William Gay was one of the Not Ready For Primetime Players. I hope he gets better. I’ve been rooting for him in particular because 22 is my young son’s number.

Overall my concern is that the Steelers are creaking. Hines is old and there’s no one in sight to take up his role as a possesion receiver. Aaron Brown has been underrated for a long time but that means he’s also getting old. Can he get back to form? If not, there’s another hole the Steelers have no proven candidate to fill. Ziggy Hood looks a lot better when he can rest up on the sidelines and come in against tired offensive tackles. The O Line is a project. I’m thinking Pouncey can get back to business in the middle but the other spots look weak to me, particularly in pass blocking.

You get used to the disparity in outlook as a Lions fan living in Pittsburgh. People around here expect to win. Lions fans never quite lose that sinking feeling that no matter how good it looks, things can turn sour in a heartbeat. I’m letting my wife raise our boy as a Steeler fan. Life is hard enough. But at least I have my fond memory of our last visit to the Pontiac Silverdome. It was Thanksgiving Day and the Steelers were in town…

Everyone is old. Pittsburgh has the highest average age in the entire league at over 30.

Yep. Which is why I think next year might be a rebuilding year, as it were. Ultimately it all comes down to the offensive line and the secondary. If they can get homegrown replacements, something they’ve been really good at for a long time but not at those positions, oddly, they’ll be fine. If not, Ben’s career is going to be much shorter than it ought to be and they’ll be demolished by pass-happy teams. They don’t really have the coin to go out and fix those problems through free agency, and the Steelers have never to my knowledge pursued and signed a big-name free agent so they’ll get some second or third tier guy on the back end of his career, something they don’t need.

This year is going to be interesting, next year even more so.

So you agree:

It’s not an annual march to the Super Bowl. It’s not even a biennial march to the Super Bowl.

:rolleyes:

Wow, the Eagles dream turned into a nightmare tonight. First team against first team, the game was a joke. The Steelers dominated in all facets, and the only thing the Eagles did right was that blocked kick. Pittsburgh had the ball for 23 minutes in the first half.

It was good to see Troy back. When he took that hit I cringed, he needs to remember that this is only preseason, but that’s his style so what can you do but shrug and hope for the best?

It appears that the Steelers shook off whatever apathy they had during the first preseason game, because they took the Eagles to school. If that’s all the Eagles have against a good defense they’re not even taking their division this year, let alone the Super Bowl.

Ben, Leftwich and Dixon all looked strong. I’m glad Troy seems to be 100% and that Cotchery is paying for himself already.

It was brought to my attention in the other NFL thread that Ramon Foster cheap-shotted an Eagles player in the game. I hope the commissioner fines him and/or suspends him. There’s no place in the game for that stuff. Play the game the way it’s supposed to be played or find something else to do.