The anti-Trump resistance has become exhausted

I’ll admit that as part of the anti-Trump resistance I am exhausted. In the past if Trump would have posted a Christmas screed against his enemies, or told Putin to attack our allies, I would have been filled with righteous anger at how someone like that could ever be allowed anywhere near the whitehouse. Now its barely gets a shrug of the shoulders from me since its just Trump being Trump.

But just because I’ve got outrage fatigue doesn’t mean that I won’t walk 10 miles up hill in a blizzard to cast a vote against him in November.

I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate, but it’s no more true this time than in 2020.

There may be a decrease in ferocity right now, but I don’t think anti-Trumpers are any less committed.

I actually think the main thing is that Trump isn’t president, and thus not in our face every day. I’ve found him much, much easier to avoid.

But I have been pretty passionate against him and defending Biden. Just today, in fact.

I suspect that the concern is not them not voting for him, but them not being as enthusiastic in pushing others to vote against him.

It doesn’t take a lot of energy to just not vote for him, and vote Democratic.

Though I agree the onslaught of Trump news and Magites is draining.

That’s the thing though. Getting out the vote.

Remember, in 2020, Biden got the most votes cast for him in the history of US voting. The second highest vote getter in US history? Trump in 2020.

The article is suggesting MAGAts are keen as ever to vote but less so dems. And that is a problem.

That’s giving horrid a bad name.

As was observed by Jon Lovett in “Pod Save America”

Trump & Biden are both investigated for the possession of classified national defence documents.

The Special Counsel finds Trump in breach of regulations and he is then indicted a federal grand jury for possession and resisting attempts to retrieve these documents.

The Special Counsel concludes that for Biden no criminal charges are warranted but he is described as “sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory”.

And Biden is the one with a political problem?

Well, if the news is full of shit like this and this, and stories of Trump’s crimes taking center stage are not enough to energize Dem voters, then all is lost. Frankly, part of the problem is running stories like the one linked in the OP.

It’s not the rank and file Dems that is the problem, it’s the media’s perception that drags spirits down.

Yeah. The “Anti Trump Resistance” is a permanent thing. The loudness and astonishment may ebb and flow, but the ballot box is where the sentiment is truly expressed. Republicans have been underperforming since annointing Trump as their criminal King, and if “The Resistance” only speaks quietly, and only at the ballot box, I think the results will speak enough.

In breach of laws.

How is this grift?

The Republican Party hasn’t had a presidential platform since Romney ran against Obama in 2012. The GOP isn’t for anything. They have no guiding principles. Everything is in service to Trump’s ego. That’s not being for something.

Yeah it’s awful. I stopped donating to politicians and started giving to World Central Kitchen. Some good is guaranteed to be done. I have not seen any evidence that they sold my email address.

Bugs me too. I forget the democratic group I donated to some years ago (a well known, big name one) but, once I did, every week (sometimes more often) there was another text message/email about the NEW CRISIS! WE NEED MONEY NOW!

So annoying…I worked diligently to sever myself from those pleas for money.

To be fair…this is not unique to dems. It seems they all do it, no matter the side or the message. I don’t like engaging in whataboutism but, in this case, since they all do it, it seems worth noting.

It doesn’t take that much enthusiasm or excitement to vote – and so far, since '22, Democratic voters have shown up for pretty much every election. At this point I see no reason to believe this is changing, NYT constant “Democrats in disarray” silliness notwithstanding.

Like I said…

The fucking partisan Republican Special Counsel does not like Biden and wants him to lose the election so he gives his unnecessary and bullshit opinion that Biden is old.

It was a partisan hatchet job up there with the bullshit Hilary Clinton “investigation”.

I’m just surprised they did not pull this bullshit 2 weeks before the election.

Really? You think that’s bizarre?

There are LOTS of people who aren’t particularly progressive or particularly Democrat who specifically voted against Trump in 2020, and not for Joe Biden.

It’s a crucial distinction; being on the side of democracy and decency doesn’t mean you like Biden, it means you vote for him, because the alternative is voting for Trump. And I think a lot of these people are still out there. The ones who see Trump as a threat to democracy aren’t going to vote for him in any event.

But there are somehow, against all sense and logic, people out there who are not Democrats, MAGA morons, and nor are they committed to voting to preserve our system of government from a clear and present threat. These are the people who scare me the most; at this point in recent history, what sort of mush-headed lunatic do you have to be to NOT know which way you’re going to vote? What sort of mental anemia does that take?

The claim wasn’t that there are some voters who are voting against Trump rather than for Biden, or even that the Biden campaign woos those voters. The claim was that the Democrats are only running against Trump, and aren’t running for anything, which is patently false.

Fair enough. I misread it.