The Author Guy [recommend an author like Christopher Moore]

hehe, funny, that’s what I came up with myself. I enjoy Hiaasen quite a bit, even though I’m not into the detective story type of lit in general. Maybe it’s the laid-back, humour-in-everything-without-TRYING-to-be-funny similarity. Or something.

But thanks for the title change, and the suggestions: I had no idea about Moore’s FB status and would never have opened the thread otherwise, AND now I have new reads to go track down. So, thanks!

If you like Hiassen, I would suggest also reading Tim Dorsey and Dave Barry’s novels (Tricky Business and Big Trouble). More slapstick than Hiassen, but both are heavily influenced by him. I’d also suggest watching Big Trouble with Tim Allen, Rene Russo and Stanley Tucci.

Sorry to resurrect this zombie, but I am taking my first stab at Christopher Moore and the first book I just finished reading by him was his latest, Sacre Bleu, and oh my! I have never read an author quite like this guy. How deliriously funny, historical context, bawdy dick and fart humor and the supernatural get all bundled together so seamlessly is beyond me. He’s AWESOME!

Anyway, so then I went to the library and checked out Fool, A Dirty Job and Bite Me. Started in on Fool and I like it so very much. I’ve seen recommendations for Lamb but it was checked out so I will get it next time.

Spoke, have you read Sacre Bleu yet? Has anyone else? Its spectacularly funny and set in such a rich historical environment, and the whole artist aspect to it is enthralling.

Never got to participate originally (my recommendation is Good Omens, as stated above), but Sacre Bleu is on my list, and given your description, the fact that I liked *Fool *means I’ll probably love it. I like the decidedly goofier Pine Cove books as well, and read The Stupidest Angel every Christmas.

Sacre Bleu is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Sacre Bleu is very good, but I almost feel like Moore has a split personality - Sacre Bleu, Lamb, and Fool have fairly similar aesthetics (although I personally wasn’t a huge fan of Fool), but they are very very different from Dirty Job, Love Bites, and Island of the Sequined Love Nun. I love them all, but for completely different reasons, and I think f you try a book from one set and aren’t into it you should try a book from the other set before writing Moore off.

That’s a pretty good lineup. And read Lamb when you can find it.

I like his Pine Cove novels, too, particularly The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove and The Stupidest Angel.

I read Sacre Bleu and enjoyed it, but honestly, I thought it was one of his weaker efforts. So if you loved that one, you should really love his other novels, which, in my opinion, are funnier.

Also, anybody reading Sacre Bleu should note that there is a helpful and entertaining chapter guide online, which walks you through some of the history, and includes images of some of the art referenced in the book.

I recommend Christopher Moore’s facebook page. He tends to be pretty active there, and often responds to inquiring posts. Had an entertaining exchange with him there myself.

I definitely prefer the “Fluke,” “Practical Demonkeeping,” and “Sequined Love Nun” style of stories. I haven’t been able ti get through “Lamb” or " Fool."

Love Moore.

Haven’t got my hands on the latest novels but Lamb is one of my top books. I read it at least once a year.

The Pine Cove books are a lot of fun: Lust Lizard and Stupidest Angel are my top two from that series.

Just so you know, Bite Me is the third in his vampire series, which started with Bloodsucking Fiends. I’d recommend reading it first.

I’m planning to pick up Sacre Bleu in the near future.

I didn’t know about his internet pages on [iSacre Bleu*, which I’ll have to look through in detail. Pepper Mill will want to see them, too.
I e-mailed Moore about an optical error in Sacre Bleu (he DID say he’d probably made some, so I had to helpfully point them out) and got an e-mail in response, which i had to show to Pepper Mill. It was the highlight of her day.

Optical error?

Optical error. I haven’t got my copy here, so I can’t quote the problem, nor his acknowledgment in the afterword that he’d made some.