The Banned Books Week stuff is out! And *I* designed it!

That t-shirt is super swank, Gaudere. I just bought several for my wife and myself.

What, no tote bag? There needs to be a tote bag!

I wonder why James and the Giant Peach?
a) because the Giant Peach resembles the female gluteal region?
b) because James rebels against abusive elders?
c) just because?

IIRC, [I used to know most of the “reasons” off the top of my head because they were so funny] J&TGP was banned because of crude language, the smoking caterpillar, and because it encouraged children to disobey.

There aren’t enough :rolleyes: in the world.

It’s been a long time since I read it, but aren’t the ghosts all shown to be the result of human trickery at the end?

The LJ community is here.

Great work, Gaudere! I need the poster and the T-shirt.

Robin

I don’t recall. It was years ago. But really, who says the banners read the book untill the ends, or even more then the book jacket?

Thanks for the kind words, y’all. In doing this project I’ve run across some amusing bans, like so:

Anaya, Rudolfo A. Bless Me, Ultima. TQS Pubns. Pulled by the Norwood, Colo. Schools superintendent (2005) after two parents complained about profanity in the book. The superintendent confiscated all of the copies of the book and gave them to the parents, who “tossed them in the trash.” The superintendent later apologized. Students organized an all-day sit-in at the school gym. President George W. Bush awarded Anaya the National Media of Arts in 2002. First Lady Laura Bush has listed the book as ninth on a list of twelve books that she highly recommends.

Blume, Judy. Deenie. Bradbury Pr. Challenged by a parent in the Spring Hill Elementary School District in Hernando County, Fla. (2003) due to passages that talk frankly about masturbation. The board decided to retain the title, but require students to have written parental permission to access the novel.

Lowry, Lois. The Giver. Dell; Houghton. Challenged as a suggested reading for eighth-grade students in Blue Springs, Mo. (2003). Parents called the book “lewd” and “twisted” and pleaded for it to be tossed out of the district. The book was reviewed by two committees and recommended for retention, but the controversy continues in 2005.

Kotzwinkle, William, and Glenn Murray. Walter the Farting Dog. Frog, Ltd. Challenged, but retained on the library shelves of the West Salem, Wis. Elementary School (2004) despite the book’s use of the word “fart” and “farting” twenty-four times.

Rennison, Louise. On the Bright Side, I’m Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God: Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. Avon. Retained in the Bozeman, Mont. School District’s middle-school libraries (2005) despite a complaint that an unstable person seeing a girl reading the book might think from the title that the girl is promiscuous and stalk her.

Stewart, Jon, Ben Karlin, and David Javerbaum. America (The Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction. Warner. Returned to circulation at the Jackson-George Regional Library System in Pascagoula, Miss. (2004). The library board had banned the best-selling satirical book because the book contained an image of Supreme Court judges’ faces superimposed on naked bodies. The book was named a Book of the Year by Publishers Weekly, the industry trade magazine.

Waugh, Evelyn. Brideshead Revisited. Chapman & Hall Ltd. Alabama Representative Gerald Allen (R-Cottondale) proposed legislation (2005) that would prohibit the use of public funds for the “purchase of textbooks or library materials that recognize or promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle.” The bill also proposed that novels with gay protagonists and college textbooks that suggest homosexuality is natural would have to be removed from library shelves and destroyed. The bill would impact all Alabama school, public, and university libraries. While it would ban books like Heather Has Two Mommies, it could also include classic and popular novels with gay characters such as Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited, The Color Purple or The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Of course, there’s lots and lots of bans for “gay-positive themes”. On the kid’s poster on the bottom is part of the cover from King & King, this year’s most-banned book (IIRC), in which a prince falls in love with another prince and they get married.

“Nice work!” from a design professional, sorta. (Not “sorta nice work.” I’m a “sorta design pro.”) A little too heavy on the quotes of subversives, like Douglas and Brennan :wink: , but the use of the negative of the keys so your values were consistent was quite clever.

(I’m shivering with reflected glory that I owe TWO drinks to the woman who designed the Banned Books posters! :slight_smile: )

Why is it that statement makes me picture you chasing other artists down the street waving a big stick at them? Ah well.

Neat job!

I’m sure she included all the relevant quotations that Ashcroft, Dobson, and Gonzales have uttered. (And how did you miss Chomsky?)

Interesting… From 2000-2003 J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter) was number 1 or 2 among the most frequently challenged authors!

In 2004 she is out of the top ten! What happened? Protesters got tired of looking silly? :slight_smile:

In my school district, we had a parent request a ban on the book Egg to Chick, because it had a photograph of a rooster hovering over a hen in an attempt to mate.

Great stuff!

Let’s see. I need those buttons,especially the second. And the posters. The shirt too, of course. I have more than enough bookmarks so I’ll probably pass. But they could be gifts!

Congrats on getting the job, and again for what you did with it.

The Lemony Snicket quote on the child’s poster is well-chosen. As a fan of the series, I have to commemorate you for putting in a line from it, “commemorate” here being a word which means “compliment you for doing something for no apparent reason other than to point out that it was done.”

mobo85, I’m going to have to call you on your malapropism, a word that here means “the use of the word ‘commemorate’ when you meant to use the word ‘commend.’” :wink:

And Gaudere - good job on getting the gig. I’m in lust with the “I Read Banned Books” button.

What a cool project! The stuff looks great and the quotations are definitely enlightening.

Awesome! I had forgotten all about the Banned Books! I’m going to have to spend some of my meager grad stipend to buy lots of stuff from there!

Good job!

Photoshop and InDesign, maybe?

Either way, damn nice look!

Very nice job, Gaudere… I have friends who will be getting something from here as presents…

GT

They’ve attempted to ban The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood. How ironic. What’s the hell’s up with banning Where’s Waldo, for Christ’s sake.

And I know I’ve commented on this on the Dope in the past, but I just can’t see a reason to ban To Kill a Mockingbird.