The best "feel-good" commercial since "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing"

Okay, here I go again, using my industry knowledge to fight a bit of ignorance.

That’s not a commercial. That’s a promo. Commercials are sold to advertisers. Promos are reserved for promoting the network. Each network will set aside a certain amount of time to sell and a certain amount of time to air their own promos…after all, how will you know when the new season of The Closer starts if TNT doesn’t promote it every break? (July 14, to be exact. Yes, I’m counting the days.) To get even more technical, this is an “image” spot…it doesn’t promote a specific show airing at a specific time (that’s called a topical), but promoting the wonder and glory that is Discovery Channel.

Class dismissed. :wink:

Well, OK, it’s a promo - I don’t care, I still like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem…I like it too. In fact, some of the ESPN ones are quite funny, like the man wearing a Michigan shirt making out with a girl wearing an Ohio State shirt. Although Ivylad and Ivygirl were horrified, they laughed, because ESPN was right…without college sports, it wouldn’t be so sick. :smiley:

I was always a fan of the Coke ad that spoofed Grand Theft Auto, where the bad guy went around doing good things in the neighborhood instead.

Here’s the link for what seems to be the commercial that Drain Bead is referencing. (Yeah, it’s easy to find, but I figure I’m not going to be the only to want to look it up.)

Have to admit the promo leaves me cold. Even though it attempts to instill a sense of marvel, it feels vulgar to me and somehow comes across as objectifying the very things it’s trying to convey as awe-inspiring. Also, that boom-de-ada song is hella annoying.

Another dead one, over here! :wink:

You must be freakin’ nuts.

Boom-de-yada. Boom-de-yada. Boom-de-yada. Boom-de-yada.

Here’s what a grammar nazi mood I’m in tonight: that video was ruined for me by the fact that in the final title, every word but “is” is capitalized. Pet. Peeve.

It’s not incorrect if you take it as a title or a headline. Generally speaking, in such cases internal articles, prepositions, conjunctions and forms of “to be” are not capitalized.

Not true; is is a verb. Verbs are capitalized. It’s only through widespread misusage of people who think the rule is about *short *words.