The Best Wierdest Film

Mirrormask.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

That was pretty awesome! I need to find this to rent somewhere!

I second Greasers Palace. It is weird. Jesus landing by parachute in a zoot suit for starters.

Here are some more musical numbers from The Forbidden Zone. I really like ‘The Queen’s Revenge’ (at 5:32) and ‘Pico And Sepulveda’ (following). I hate to post such a large link, as you really should see the whole thing without spoiling the experience; but it’s one of my favourite films and I can’t help sharing.

And The Holy Ghost is a guy in a sheet. :smiley:

I just added it to my Netflix queue. I had been part of some sort of a test screening for what must have been an early version of it when I was in college (don’t remember the exact year, but it must have been 1970-74). I remember filling out a questionnaire after the viewing asking for my impressions and what I liked and didn’t like about it, but for some reason I’ve never seen the final version.

The Woman Chaser.

Fixed link

I second this one. On top of the weird setting, premise and plot, there’s just so much entertainingly bizarre detail - the guy in the basement with the snails - the musical duets, the little impromptu rhythm skits…

BTW, if you liked that movie, I recommend Le Diner De Cons - it probably doesn’t qualify as a candidate for this thread, as it’s quite a straight-up farce, but it’s masterfully done.
-Without giving too much away… A group of intellectual professional men meets for dinner once a week where the entertainment is provided by their guests - they must each invite one person along - the most contemptible, pitiful or laughable idiot they can find, but it goes horribly wrong.

I’ll nominate El Topo (The Mole), certainly one of the weirdest movies ever made:

Images from the film are here:

http://www.subcin.com/bookfilm01.html

I saw it when I was in college in the 1970s. A few years ago I saw it again on TV, and it was just as phantasmagorical and incomprehensible as I remember it - a combination of spaghetti western, religious allegory and freak show.

I second El Topo. The local theater did a screening of that last year and it totally blew my mind. It was literally the weirdest experience I ever had in the film, and I was shocked that the whole thing took less than two hours. I’ve thought about watching it again, but I honestly don’t know if I could sit through it again. It really disturbed me on a lot of levels. I’m not saying it’s a bad movie–it’s not. It’s just…yeah. Also, of note, it’s one of the most misogynistic movies I had ever seen. Possibly the most misogynistic movie.

I second Being John Malkovich and The Fifith Element, although I didn’t really like these films, I can see how other people would. Chris Tucker’s character in The Fifth Element ruined it for me… he was beyond annoying.

As soon as I posted the thread I knew someone would say A Clockwork Orange and I wasn’t disappointed! Although I personally couldn’t stand the film. I’m also a little surprised that no one has yet said 2001: A Space Odessey. I didn’t like it, but I know a lot of people who do.

And I thought of another pretty wierd movie that I really liked: Adaptation with Nicholas Cage. It was strange, yet original and beautiful.

Freaks (considering it was released in 1932…)

Blue Velvet is another one.

I’ll second the Cremaster Cycle nomination, and absolutely Cremaster 3. Watched a couple of them after accidentally wandering into the wrong bit of an art gallery in Cologne several years ago. Very strange indeed.

Secondly, a film I ended up skipping through the other week as I really wasn’t in the mood for violent weirdness, but try Jan Svankmajer’s live action/animated surreal horror Little Otik (childless couple adopt tree stump that turns carnivorous).

I always liked Rubin and Ed, but it’s been at least 15 years since I last saw it.

Being John Malkovich was amazing.

I agree about Chris tucker, but I grew to tolerate his character, and I grew to really like the movie a lot.
Joe

Hey that is by the same guy who made Holy Mountain. Kind of amazing that with the whole world of cinema to pick from, someone so obscure made this list twice. Those are some really, really, really strange movies.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK Here is the “Frogs and Lizards reenact the conquest of the Aztecs” scene from Holy Mountain. Be warned that it’s more than a little disturbing and I imagine some frogs and lizards were indeed hurt in the filming.

Man Bites Dog

Documentary of a serial killer. Live and on location.

Not so amazing, Jodorowsky is about as weird as it gets. When you consider that Sante Sangre (his most “mainstream” movie) makes David Lynch look like Steven Spielberg…

Tarkovski deserves a mention, too. Stalker is a good introduction, but The Mirror is the real mind-bender.

Eonwe, rejoice - Forbidden Zone is at last available on DVD, after languishing in VHS-only land for far too long.

Eraserhead, as mentioned, is truly great.

Naked Lunch is solidly weird as well.