The Big Bang Theory 2/10--"The Benefactor Factor"

In the first place, I’m fairly new to the show, so I’m pretty much just enjoying the funny, rather than concerning myself overmuch with whether the characters stay true to their previously-demonstrated motivations.

But, in the second place, I can fan-wank this as Penny being kinda distracted from her residual feelings for Leonard by her irritation with (and maybe a little bit of defensiveness over) Sheldon’s innuendos regarding her own use of sex-as-commodity.

Not that I’m prepared to join Sheldon in his implied accusation.

I think the show doesn’t let feelings get in the way of comedy.

But also I’d interpret it as Penny and Leonard not being jealous people, they are broken up so really both are free to see whoever they wish. Leonard has a harder time over it than Penny.

I think she knows that a senior citizen isn’t really likely to result in a relationship as neither one of them is likely to want it, so she still has Leonard as her “safety” boyfriend. That said, judging by the walk of shame, do you think Leonard enjoyed his evening?

This was my thought. Penny just can’t take seriously a sexual encounter between Leonard and the donor. And she knows that Leonard probably has some weird feelings about it.

I think he doesn’t know yet :smiley:

Agreed. Also, based on my experience, it is possible to be amused and feel some jealousy. But in that situation I would have shown the amusement.

It’s hard to say. I think his initial reluctance was overcome not by her promises of a donation, but her implications about her own prowess (“How do you think I managed to marry such a rich man?”) So it’s possible that her performance didn’t live up to the hype, or (hopefully) he came away thinking that mere technical expertise didn’t make as fulfilling an experience as one where there’s an emotional connection.

(Speaking of fan-wanking…)

I don’t think she sees Leonard as merely the safety boyfriend.

No one’s mentioned this yet-

Sheldon: This might help get you in the mood. I looked on the Net and found this picture of Mrs. So&So when she was 25. Look at those saddle shoes.

eyebrow wiggle

THAT was priceless!

OK, Now I think it would be hilarious if there was an episode about Penny being upset with Leonard’s lessons with the older benefactor, UNTIL Leonard used some of the trick he learned to really blow Penny’s mind. The episode could end with her hair all frazzled out like she was electrocuted.