The Canned Cheeseburger

This is camping food? Thank goodness many of our provincial parks have can bans.

Cand cheezburger? Do not want!

Kthxbai

It must be awful. It turned the guy in the video green!

That’s the one I noticed in the first link. I would much rather have a canned cheeseburger than dehydrated powdered red wine.

SomethingAwful thread with pictures and description of a member’s experience with this very product.

I didn’t know you could dehydrate alcohol. How does that work? The first link claims it has an alcohol content just over 9%. Powdered alcohol? If you just have to add water, this has far more camping uses than a canned cheeburger.

Missed the edit window.

I forgot about that Dutch outfit that powdered alcohol sometime last year. Encapsulated the molecules in sugar, or something. Targeting the youth market, IIRC

Hey, serve it up with this and you have a complete meal. :slight_smile:

Probably not as good as canned flapjacks (in oil!)

Maybe if you rehydrated the red wine with vodka instead of water the cheeseburger wouldn’t be so bad. I think it would take a lot of vodka though.

If I were on a life raft with burgers-in-a-can and weevil-infested hardtack, I’d eat the hardtack and cut up the burgers for bait.

I’m curious if the first picture of the cheesburger that looks like a great burger is published by the company who makes this product?

Next thing you know they’ll have ketchup in bottles!

And it’s another reason to arm bears.

Remember: forest fires prevent bears.
(One bad pun deserves another.)

Oh does that take me back! I ate canned bacon as a child. My parents bought the damnedest things to eat when we went on vacation. A couple of times we had canned chicken–not chicken meat, but a whole, small, cooked chicken, in broth, in a large can.

Canned bacon was actually pretty normal. It wasn’t precooked or anything, just raw sliced bacon wrapped in wax paper and rolled/folded until it fit in the can. Open can, pull out bundle, unroll (getting grease all over creation as you do so), separate slices, fry. It was mostly fat, very little meat. It wasn’t great bacon, but it was bacon.

I’ve eaten canned bread, and that alone puts me off eating a canned cheeseburger; canning does not benefit bread. Looking at those photos in the Something Awful thread puts me off the idea even more. But I might try canned bacon, or those canned chickens, again if I knew a source.

I recall, in VN, we got number ten cans w/ dehydrated shrimp and steaks vacuum packed inside. The cans felt as if they were empty, very light, excepet you could feel something rattling around inside. The shrimp were on the chewy side and not as flavorful as fresh, but under the circumstances, quite a treat. You had to soak them in water for an hour or so and they need some kind of condiment, but not too bad. Pretty much the same for the steaks. I also remember some canned bacon. As I recall it came from Sweden and was partially cooked. Now that was delicious.
Costco carried frozen White Castle burgers, but I never tried them. I used to love White Castle burgers, would you believe 12 for a buck? OK, it was awhile back.

You know, I’m kind of tempted to try it. I mean, from what I’ve read, it isn’t too bad, it won’t kill me…maybe.

The one canned product I’ve seen in-person that made me wince was Libby’s brand “Potted Meat Food Product” or something of that nature. It was so ambiguous and just a…meat…paste. Apparently my grandma’s been eating it for years. It frightens me so.

Has anyone got Prince Albert in a can?

Oh, baby, I haven’t had a cheeseburger in so long, that actually looked good.

Shoot, I’d eat it if somebody sent me one. And I could have my buddy record it on his phone for proof, if needed. :smiley:

I am not kidding. It would be a good excuse to break my diet, for once.