The Hypocrisy of a Joe Biden Presidential Bid

The hypocrisy is that the main rationale for a Biden run is because of Clinton “scandals” even tho Biden’s administration (he’s number 2 and thus has ownership as well) ALSO has them. And they’re BOTH of similar veracity: manufactured BS.

Wouldn’t the main rationale for a Biden run be that people want Biden to run?

I’m not pining for ole Joe myself, but lots of people like him. Lots of people don’t particularly like Clinton. 2 + 2 does not have to equal hypocrisy.

Hitchbot?

Biden’s age will be an issue. Joe will be 74 if elected when he takes office.

but why? His merits as a nominee isn’t exactly Maureen Dowd’s case

Have you looked at some of the guys on the Republican bus?

Biden’s run for president twice before; he may still just have a belief that he’d make a good president and this is his last chance.

I’m not convinced of any hypocrisy. Egotism, sure, but isn’t that a prerequisite for anyone who thinks he/she could be president?

Because a lot of people like him. He’s very likeable.

Maureen Dowd’s case is that she hates the Clintons and Hillary in particular.

No, I don’t see any hypocrisy. And the first I have heard of him being “less vulnerable in a GE than Hillary over ethics, etc.” was in this op.

Biden strikes me as a smart and decent guy who too often says stupid things, or at least things stupidly. He has run twice before and bombed twice before. Other than a recent sympathy bounce his favorables have consistently been underwater. Generally 44 to 48% of people don’t like him, significantly more most often than those who do. If he was somehow the nominee his fate would be more than Clinton tied to Obama’s election season approval rating. My guess is that such will end up being not a bad thing but as of now it is not yet a good thing. Still both he and Clinton would likely prevail in a general. The GOP nominees are likely to run worse.

The biggest reasons for him to run include that an uncontested primary (and Sanders is not really going to be functionally contesting it) is not ideal prep work for a general and that perhaps there really should be more of a in case of emergency break glass (be it car accident or whatever) plan than Sanders.

Not sure about any downside other than to him and those who love him.

That’s not what “hypocrisy” means.

Where has Biden said that his rationale for running is because of scandals?

He hasn’t. That makes him even more hypocritical.

Didn’t Joe’s late son express the wish that his father run? Maybe he just would feel a little guilty if he didn’t make at least a token gesture.

This makes no sense. Let us assume, arguendo, that Vice President Biden is vulnerable to the taint of any scandals associated with the current administration. If that’s the case, he should also receive some glory for the successes.

The plain unvarnished fact is that the current administration’s overall performance has been stellar by any objective standard, far outweighing any cumulative scandals that the Forces of Evil may wish to smear it with, even the plausible ones.

I want Biden to run…as a “sham.” A purely strategic thing, to inject false drama into the primaries. This helps keep Clinton in the public eye. There’ll be debates, and polls, and all the whistle stops and speeches – as they toss softball challenges at each other – but it’s really just to advance her campaign.

(I’m not saying this is the truth. It’s just how I’d run things as the master strategist. Still, even if Biden runs for real, it would have the same overall effect.)

VPs don’t do much. He’d be associated with Obama by well, association, but Biden, like Bush and Gore before him, had nothing to do with any of the various problems in those administrations.

And of course Republicans will go after him hammer and tong. They will any Democrat, and I’d expect that the Democrats will go after any Republican nominee with any tool they have at hand. That’s how it goes. But few candidates are as much of a target rich environment as Hillary Clinton.

Just so I know what cards are on the table here, what scandals are Biden being held accountable for?

That would make him the epitome of a hypocrite.