The Internet is abuzz right now with a massive celebrity cellphone hack.

I stand corrected. That’s really bad.

Has anyone checked Rupert Murdoch’s whereabouts ?

He’s resting comfortably at home.

Really? I would have guessed that they’d each have twice the average number of some genitals, and none at all of others.

And they have stunt genitals too.

I did some browsing around online. You know, for research purposes. Good. God. Yall.

Maybe, but you could have some photos that are not from Icloud, and still be an icloud attack, for example if they used this method: This could be the iCloud flaw that led to celebrity photos being leaked (Update: Apple is investigating), then you could simply try the password discovered on their actual email addresses and other accounts and potentially get those as well - basically the same techniques as in most hacks where they hack a weak player and password reuse screws you at stronger players.

Is it just a given nowadays that everybody takes naked pictures of themselves? Because that’s weird.

Heck, in the old days we had to beg and plead for a simple Polaroid. Odd, isn’t it? Back when it was stupidly simple to secure a compromising picture, people were more afraid of having one taken than now when it is stupidly simple to disseminate it.

And BTW I know it’s just my old-school prejudices speaking, but “Cloud” just does not convey to me the mental image of something secure and impenetrable or even reliably accessible.

Eh, digital cameras are more or less ubiquitous, the marginal cost of taking a digital picture is near zero and, since there’s no need to develop film, you can take a pic and email it to your SO without anyone else being involved (unless you get hacked, obviously).

People being people, it would be strange if that state of affairs didn’t lead to a lot of naked picture taking

No kidding. I’m still trying to wrap my head around calling women who aren’t skinny “thick”, and it’s a compliment.

Thus the value of Polaroids, back in the day: you could take a picture and mail it (or hand it) to your SO without anyone, either.

Damn Aubrey Plaza… damn…

It makes you wonder how much of Polaroid’s market back in the day was due to the desire to take naked photos that didn’t have to be processed.

:smiley:

Hopefully not His Excellency.

I hear Smithers has been taking naked pictures of you for years without your knowing. :slight_smile:

And most people didn’t have Polaroid cameras back then, either, whereas it’s almost impossible nowadays to not own a digital camera.

Note that, even in the days before digital cameras, it was taken for granted that there were some people who’d photocopy their nether bits. And that’s even with the inconvenience of getting some private time in a room with a copier, and the low quality of the resulting images.

That would be pretty much all of it.

Now watch this commercial.

A hacker friend of mine (pretty high level, with the ability to decap chips and modilfy them with his own scanning tunneling electron microscope) claims that Rupert has on his payroll one of the most elite hacking organizations on the planet - forget the cellphone stuff, that’s amatur hour compared to what his people are actually involved in.