"The Knave Abideth"

You know, Walter’s dialogue doesn’t seem that far off from the actual movie dialogue.

Nice touch, calling him ‘Geoffrey’.

Awesome, much better than I thought it would be. I would love to see a real Shakespeare company put this on.

This must be put on film.

I can picture John Turturro in period costume.

Don’t fuck with the Jesu!

Wow! This be a most brilliant find. I thank thee soothly for sharing it!

Amazing.

The quality of the verse was up and down in place, but the good parts are great:

The “bowlèd” thing is kind of painful, I admit. Giving Walter a parody of “Hath not a Jew eyes” is outstanding, though.

That is always a risk when a writer tries to appropriate the style of a more talented one. Like, oh…Shakespere. Maybe he can get Marlowe to do a polish on it.

This is fantastic.

That line was the movie for me, I’m glad it didn’t lose anything in translation :slight_smile:

Thank you. I have it now.

I don’t think it’s about talent, it’s just a question of familiarity with iambic pentameter and how it works. (Of course if you don’t read and watch a lot of Shakespeare you’re not going to care about this anyway.)

But to me this kind of thing sticks out, because the stresses aren’t great and there are a few syllables of filler:

“Of Donald, he who in his life bowlèd.”
of DON-ald HE who IN his LIFE bow-LED
It might work better as

“Of Donald, with whom we so oft bowlèd.”

I’m not any sort of Shakespeare expert, but you’re right. That does flow much better.

What if William Shakespeare had written The Big Lebowski?

It might go… something… like this.

The Knave abideth.

My apologies if this has already been posted, but it’s too awesome not to share.

It was posted before, so I’ve merged your post into the previous thread.

It looks like the author’s career is really taking off. There are staged readings planned in a few cities and I think he says he is working on a book deal.

Whoops, didn’t see the other thread. Figures I’d be beaten to the punch. Sorry you had to go to the trouble.