The Mayorkas Impeachment

Senate kills second and final Mayorkas impeachment article, voting now on ending trial

From CNN’s Ted Barrett

The Senate voted to kill the second and final article of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

The Senate voted 51 to 49 on party lines.

The chamber voted to kill the first article of impeachment earlier today.

The Senate is voting now to adjourn as the impeachment trial is over.

With a whimper and not a bang.

mtg being an impeachment manager will now be a unrealized thing.

It’ll still be the pinmacle of her congressional career.

There were several R senators in the past few weeks who called the Mayorkas impeachment on overreach, not a legitimate use of impeachment, or otherwise disagreed with the House bringing the impeachment charges at all. Not a one of them voted to drop the whole stinking pile of partisan poo in the dumpster when given the chance?

If the Democrats can carry the thing on their own, then why help them? Eventually, you need to run for re-election and, on that day, do you want more or fewer primary opponents on your own side, with ammunition against you?

Yeah, nevermind principles.

Principles will not get you reelection, plum assignments, and most importantly that sweet, sweet cash from donors.

These people are not public servants: They are whores.

There is a third possibility. The people who put that document together are notoriously dishonest. Those numbers are probably just lies.

No shit.

I’m usually all in favor of political theater. And I have no opinion on whether Mayorkas is doing a bad job. But I am pleased the Senate quashed this. While the scope of impeachable offenses is clearly debatable, it just a clearly doesn’t extend to policy disagreements.

IMO you’ve got a dangerous notion there. In the present environment “theater” is a chaotic distraction from “politics”.

I too enjoy a good drama story on TV. But although “reality TV” or Jerry Springer might be TV, the drama, or should I say “drama” there is decidedly unhealthy and not-entertaining. When the latter fully supplants the former, we are so doomed.