The name TubaDiva: a light goes on for Anastasaeon

It took me about two years to figure out what Drain Bead meant.

And thus it applies to you.

:: runs like hell ::

(BTW, does your name sound like ‘Play-Doh’?)

Oom-pah, Oom-pah!
“Lute Skywatcher” is a standard RPG name I use whenever I’m playing a Bard.

for some reason i’ve always thought her name was a brand of chocolates.

Present!

Oh, and it’s very tough to throw a tuba 10 yards, but if you’ve got room to spin a sousaphone will go that distance easy.

–Cliffy

Well, for a sousaphone, it really depends on the wind… That’s one heck of a sail. Heck, there’ve been a few times that I’ve almost been blown downfield wearing the durned thing. But ten yards upwind? No way.

And Lute, for the record, tubas do not go “Oom pah”. Tubas go “oom”, and French horns answer with the “pah”.

TubaDiva, isn’t there some disciplinary action you can take against Dex for that?

How do you fix a broken tuba?

With a tuba glue!

In college (esp. my junior year) I was a tuba jinx. I think 7 tubas broke that year while I was marching with them, although in no case did I have anything to do with it – I was just the jinx. :frowning:

–Cliffy

I’m sure she doesn’t mind. It dates back to when we were still at AOL and she’d pop into the Straight Dope chatroom.

Similar things have been wondered about when my own username is mentioned. Some think I am a Schottiche dancer. Some think I am, IRL, a dog of the Scottish Terrier Dog persuasion. One who types well. It is a bit disconcerting that people think said typing of my thoughts and opinions could be done by a dog, but that just makes me try better to not make a complete fool of myself in print. I suspect that I often fail, but please don’t enlighten me. I’m fragile. :smiley:

The one that really gets me is how long it took me to figure out Sueduhnym. I thought for the longest time that it was her name, Sue Duhnym. Then one day it finally hit me.

I’m such a dope.

PS…I don’t seem to have that username exactly right. I thought it was, but I searched and didn’t find her. So, it was something similar, I guess. I still missed it like the whoosh of a low flying frizzby.

No, it sounds like “free-doh.” It’s a long story.

Ohhhhhhh

:smack:

I bet it involves corn chips. :slight_smile:

Cliffy, I can empathize. Neither my high school nor my college even had that many tubae available to be broken, but I did get to be quite an expert on alternate fingerings, so as to avoid whichever valve happened to be jammed at the time (there was always at least one). If I ever absolutely had to use a jammed valve, I’d then play the next six or eight bars using fingerings that kept that valve down, while I pried it free. And I could get through the entire “Hey song” without ever needing to touch the second valve at all. Good times.

Well, I must say, I think this thread has inspired me.

I think I’ll take up diving. Or perhaps diva-ing.

Ditto. I first saw her name in one of the Straight Dope books. I always parsed it as Tubba-Deeva. :shrug: