The Neal Stephenson Appreciation Thread

It isn’t. You can see hints of the style that he would develop in his later books, but The Big U is definitely a sub-par book for Stephenson.

[minor hijack]

I didn’t care for Invisible Monsters either, but you ought to consider reading Survivor. I really liked that book, but if they ever make it into a movie, they will likely have to change the title because of that TV show. I haven’t read Choke yet, but I plan on it.

[/minor hijack]

I’m going to love this new forum… less than a week, and already threads on two of my favorite authors (Irving & Stephenson)

I actually started with Stephenson with The Big U, and that when it first came out. I even still own my First Edition copy (major typos and all), even though it was tempting to get rid of it when I saw someone selling one on e-bay, and the bidding was up to $600. I really enjoyed it, and thought the picture it painted was a realistic, if somewhat exaggerated, look at college life in the early 80’s. (Maybe not the situations, but the PEOPLE.)

I missed Zodiac when it first came out, but I caught up with it a year or so after I read Snow Crash, and thought it was a fun book. I really enjoyed the charactyers in this one as well, and also the fact that he deliberately created a hero that was an Asshole.

Snow Crash. God, what can I say about Snow Crash? One of the best reads I’ve ever had. I’m currently re-reading this one at this time. Once again an exaggerated, but realistic world. Yeah, I could see corporate franchises taking over the world, very easily. Not only that, I think that most people wouldn’t even raise a fuss over it, either. (Don’t want to deal with American race laws? Go live in a pro-apartheid Burbclave!) The Republicans, in particular, seem hot on the idea of Privatizing everything, and this is the ultimate endgame of that route. Also loved the Uncle Enzo character.

The Diamond Age. Good book, but hard to get into. Loved the use of nano-technology (such as the image of cloudy days where the clouds are nanites waging war against viruses and each other)

Cryptonomicon. Great book. Lots of loose ends to tie up still, when he writes the next book(s). (I’ve heard that he’s shying from the ‘Trilogy’ label, as it might be one book more, might be four) The Idea that Randy’s ex-wife is living with the kid that either Gunther, Enoch Root or Bobby Shaftoe had with Julieta in Sweden. (G.E.B. Kivistik) I have a feeling that is going to be important in the next book. Also the fact that Gunther escaped from the V-Million, and nothing else is seen from him. Did he get the Bends and die?

Where was Enoch root between his ‘death’ and the end of the war, when he hooked up with the rest of the conspiracy?

I dunno, aren’t they all (HHGttG, Kevin Smith’s NJ trilogy, etc.) these days? :slight_smile:

Drags a little in the middle, maybe, but it’s still my favorite Stephenson. Crash is next, 'Nomicon after that, and Interface close behind. Never did really like Diamond Age. Bored me, basically. Haven’t read The Cobweb yet, but I’ll be getting to it. If I can find a copy of the text of The Big U, I’ll read that. Rumor has it Stephenson hates that one and wishes it would disappear from existance 'cause it’s so rough.

Regardless, Stephenson is one kick-ass author.
-Ben

The first chapter of Snow Crash is one of the most dynamic piece of writing I have ever read. It pulled me in to the novel like very other openings. Of all of Neal Stephenson’s qualities, I appreciate his writing style over the plots, characters, and such. A great stle means nothing without a solid foundation, but he doesn’t fail in the basics, either.

I appreciate the way this book turned cyberpunk on its ear. I’d say that Stephenson’s influence can definitely be seen in William Gibson’s later work. The difference between Mona Lisa Overdrive and Virtual Light points to him having read the competition.

I was lucky enough to receive both Snow Crash and The Diamond Age as gifts when each came out. I’ve read both multiple times now, which I seldom do with new novels. I’d love to read Cryptonomicon again, but it’s a little hard to fit in to my reading schedule.

The Big U was fun, but I didn’t have my hopes up, based on the author’s own comments. Still, a wacky read.

I loved Zodiac. Again, I have read it a couple of times, and laughed my way through both readings. I probably wouldn’t have picked it up without the name recognition – not my typical genre – but I am glad I did.

Of the two books co-written as Steven Bury, Interface is the better. Its concept is just on the edge of possibility, and the story is fairly exciting. Cobweb didn’t impress me nearly as much. It was a decent story, but nothing spectacular.

I am eagerly waiting his next book. I’d just like to know if he is indeed continuing in the Cryptonomicon vein, or if we can expect something entirely new.