The other recipe thread.

It’s fattening, but it’s delicious. And it freezes relatively well, for something with that much dairy.

*White Lasagna

Ingredients:

1 lb. package of lasagna noodles
1 lb hot Italian sausage, no casings
1/2 lb. salad shrimp
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach
1 8 oz. package of sliced fresh mushrooms
minced garlic, basil, and oregano to taste
1 15 oz. container of ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart half and half
1 cup parmesan cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese

Boil 15 lasagna noodles in a large saucepan, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. In another large pan, saute 1 lb. of hot Italian sausage with the casings removed, 1/2 lb. of salad shrimp, 1 small onion and one green pepper, both chopped. When the sausage is browned, drain the fat and set the mixture aside. In yet another large pan (can you see a pattern here?), saute 1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach, 1 package of sliced fresh mushrooms (8 oz.), and minced garlic, basil, and oregano to taste. While cooking, chop the mushrooms into small pieces with the spatula. When the mushrooms are fully cooked, drain the mixture VERY WELL and set aside.

For the sauce:

Melt 2 tbsp. of butter in a saucepan. When the butter is completely melted, add 4 tablespoons of flour. Whisk until completely mixed and somewhat bubbly. Slowly add 2 pints of half and half, making sure to whisk the mixture vigorously. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil slowly (it will still be very thin). Allow to boil for about 2 minutes while stirring. The sauce should thicken somewhat upon boiling. Once the sauce has thickened, add 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and add the sausage mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Lightly grease the bottom of a 9x13 lasagna pan or baking dish. Line the bottom with three of the cooked noodles. Top these noodles with a portion of the sauce. Place another three noodles on top of the sauce layer, and spread these with a small portion of ricotta cheese. Sprinkle the top of the ricotta cheese with half of the spinach mixture. Layer another row of three noodles, and top with some more sauce. Repeat with another layer of noodles, ricotta and spinach. Top with the last of the noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the top of the lasagna liberally with shredded mozzarella, and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Serve with a simple Caesar salad and fresh bread.

This is one Leigh-Anne and I discovered in a cookbook called “Lean, Luscious and Meatless,” (sounds like a transsexual’s autobiography, doesn’t it?). Anyhoo, if you’re vegetarian, make a double recipe and it makes a great entree; if not, it’s a good side, too. Falcon had it for dinner at our place and seemed to like it.

Sweet & Tangy Butter Beans
Source: Lean, Luscious & Meatless
Servings: 6 (small)
Type: Vegan
Cooking Time: approx. 1 hour, 10 minutes

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup sweet red pepper
(or other colored peppers)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 8-oz can salt-free tomato sauce 1/3 cup apple juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
2 1-lb cans of butter beans, rinsed & drained
1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

Lightly oil a 1-1/2 quart baking dish or spray wiht a non-stick cooking spray.

Heat oil (or vegetable broth/cooking spray) in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper and garlic. Cook until onions are tender and start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add remaining ingredients, dissolving cornstarch in the 2 tablespoons of water before adding. Mix well.

Transfer to baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
Wonderful served with rice or pasta. My husband likes this one SO much, I usually make a double recipe!

Per serving:
Calories: 181 Fat: 6 g (less if you substitute or reduce oil used for sauteing) Carbohydrates: 26 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 299 mg Protein: 7 g

I copied your recipe pldennison…butter beans are my favorite bean. Last week I shelled a mess that took me 2 hours. My fingers were sore as hell but the beans were yummy. This recipe sounds great as opposed to my old fashioned southern way of using some type of smoked meat for seasoning. Think you could adjust it to frozen. I like them better than canned. They taste a little fresher.

Thanks
Needs2know

We need a good Canadian recipe here. Maybe later I’ll be able to find the one for Butter Tarts, another great Canadian dish.

NANAIMO BARS

Melt: 1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
5 tsp. cocoa

Add: 1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. walnuts

Mix well, pack into 9-inch square pan, and chill.

Make butter icing, mix in 2 tbsp. custard powder, spread on the first layer. Chill.

Melt 3 squares semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tbsp. butter. Spread over icing, and chill.

Cut in squares to serve.

Perfect Hashed Browns

Much mayhem could occur over the mere definition of the term Hashed Browns. Let us first agree that there are three different varieties:

Shoestring Potatoes, Home Fries and Hashed Browns.

Each shall be dealt with in turn. First of all;

Note: I personally recommend peeling any potatoes that you are going to fry, the jacket can add a quite bitter flavor and the extra nutrients obtained therefrom are minimal. In addition, all of the following recipes call out for Russet potatoes, use any other types at your own risk.
Shoestring Potatoes:

Grate at least two large, peeled potatoes per person. When grating, use long strokes across the surface of the grater. A back and forth motion will create snippets that turn into mush in the frying pan. Long strokes will give you the threads than make for a perfect breakfast. Beware of food processors, they will create the short threads that are unacceptable. Once the potatoes are grated, place them in a colander or sieve and wash them thoroughly. This is critical for success. Similar to rice, wash the spuds until the water is clear. With your hands, squeeze the threads occasionally to remove the unwanted starch. At this point the potatoes may be stored submerged in water for a day or two. Drain the potatoes thoroughly and, for best results, dry them as well. Use a clean cloth towel or a quantity of paper towels and wring them out completely. It has occurred to me that a salad spinner may work perfectly for this process. While drying the washed and grated potatoes, heat a large skillet to near smoking temperature. Since we are not talking about health food here, use butter, you may mix it with a little oil too, but if you don't use butter (or at least a VERY high quality margarine) you will get slop. When the butter begins to foam in the pan, add the washed and dried shoestring potatoes. Avoid cooling the pan by adding too many of the spuds at once. Cover the bottom of the pan completely to obtain the maximum area of crust and use a spatula to scrape any threads that may have stuck to the sides of the pan back onto the heap. Salt the potatoes while they cook. This is essential. If you do not salt them while they cook, there is no amount of salt that you can add at the table to achieve the correct flavor. Under NO circumstances should you EVER press down on the heap of threads with the back of your spatula. If you do, just throw the pan out and start over. You will not speed up the cooking process by squashing them, and will merely create a slab of library paste. Similarly, DO NOT cover the pan while the potatoes cook, this will turn them to mush as well. Periodically scrape underneath the pile of threads to loosen them and prevent them from sticking to the pan. Once in a while tilt the skillet in various directions to ensure that the melted butter has reached all corners of the pan. If it does not, add more butter or oil. To create the perfect pan of fried potatoes you will want to flip them en masse like a pancake, by tossing them in the air and catching them in the pan again. This takes some practice but makes for the perfect crust. Beware of any hot, splashing liquids when flipping the potatoes. Whatever you do, avoid breaking up the crust when turning them. Prior to flipping the pan of spuds, dot the uncooked side with a few pats of butter. Salt the spuds after flipping them. It is better to nearly burn the spuds than it is to serve them undercooked. Avoid filching the crust while the other side crisps.

(Incidentally, the washed, uncooked threads are perfect for making potato pancakes or “Latkes” as well.)
Home Fries:

For perfect Home Fries it is critical to start with partially cooked potatoes. Cooking the potatoes can be done the night before. Boil a pot of salted water while peeling the potatoes. As soon as the water boils add the spuds. If you have vastly different sized potatoes, cut the larger ones down to the same size as the smaller ones. Keep the spuds in the largest pieces possible and cook them slowly. Large pieces will cook slower and allow you to catch them when they are cooked approximately two-thirds of the way. If the potatoes are flaking, they are overcooked. They should be firm and not slide off of the fork when pulled from the water. Cut the spuds into medium to thin slices and add them to a large and nearly smoking hot skillet. Use butter to fry them, and perhaps a little oil too. Salt them as they cook and avoid turning them too often as this tends to break them up a bit. Brown them well and drain them on a paper towel if they seem too oily after cooking. Tilting the pan prior to removal is a good way of draining them.

Hashed Browns:

The technical definition of "hashed" anything involves the addition of some milk, half and half or cream during the final stages of cooking (see recipes for corned or roast beef hash). The milk caseins (what makes milk white) contribute to the browning of the spuds and gives them a moist, rich flavor and texture. Follow the recipe for home fries and dice or slice the potatoes as you see fit. Salt them as they cook and at the very last stage of preparation splash about one quarter to one half of a cup of dairy into the pan. Do not cover them so as to allow the dairy to evaporate. Be careful not to scorch the pan at this point. If your skillet is not completely seasoned, you may experience some sticking as well.

Notes:

Feel free to ruin any of the above recipes by adding onion, grated carrot or other frou-frou ingredients. Being of Danish descent, this is a meat and potatoes world as far as I'm concerned. Top any of the above cooked spuds with some finely grated Monterey Jack cheese and garnish with chopped parsley if you are trying to impress your guests. If you have not tried mashing a poached or sunny side up egg into your spuds you have not yet lived. Serve with Jimmy Dean silver label sage recipe sausage, Swift's Premium skinless beef link sausages (I can't believe I'm recommending a frozen food!) or a rasher of apple wood smoked bacon on the side. Enjoy!

Please send feedback to zenwoof1@aol.com.

Vegetarian Appetizer

Serves 4 - 6 people
(This is an informal dish best eaten with your hands)

Preparation time 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 Package of pita bread
1/2 - 1 Pound of Feta cheese (French, Bulgarian or Danish is best)
6 - 8 Leaves of Iceberg or Romaine lettuce
1 - 2 Ripe salad or beefsteak tomatoes (avoid plum or Roma)
1 Cucumber (English is nice but not essential)
1 Red Onion (do not use white or yellow)
1/8 Cup olive oil (Greek oil compliments the vegetables nicely)
Powdered paprika or zatar (garnish)
Preparation:

Chill all vegetables ahead of time
Chill a platter in freezer for 10 minutes
Preheat oven at 250 F for 10 minutes
Peel cucumber and slice thinly
(For color, peel the cucumber with thin alternating stripes of peel left on)
Wash and separate the lettuce leaves
Cut stack of pita bread in half and wrap entire loaf in foil
(Slicing bread before heating avoids the cut edges of the bread sticking together)
If pita bread is not perfectly fresh sprinkle with a little water before wrapping in foil
(Bread may be heated in a microwave oven, do not use foil)
Place bread in oven and turn off heat after three minutes
Remove platter from freezer and cover with lettuce leaves
(For less mayhem at the table you may wish to quarter the leaves first)
Cut tomatoes into medium to thin slices
Cut red onion into thin sliced rings
(For fancy presentation the onion slices may be marinated in red wine vinegar)
Cut Feta cheese into medium to thin slices
(While slicing cheese, allow the slice that had stuck to your knife blade to be pushed off by the next one being cut, or use a cheese wire to obtain whole even slices)
Fan concentric circles of tomato, onion and cucumber around the platter’s edge
Create a spiral of the Feta cheese slices in the center of the platter
(Hide any broken pieces of Feta under the other slices)
Drizzle olive oil over the slices of Feta and sprinkle a little paprika or zatar over them
Remove warmed pita from the oven and place in a covered bread basket

Serve immediately.

Note: For the ultimate cutsie tootsie appetizer use a thin wall drinking glass or biscuit/cookie cutter to cut 3-4" circlets of pita from the edge of the whole piece of bread (thus creating little "mini-pitas). Line each of the small pitas with a leaf of baby lettuce. Then stuff them with a slice of tomato, cucumber, a small amount of red onion and some Feta cheese. This is a perfect finger food for parties or more formal occasions.

This method of preparation will take quite a bit longer than the recipe above.
Recipe lifted from “The Armenian Gourmet” in Sunnyvale, California (Thanks Aram!)

Guacamole

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Serves 4-8

Ingredients:
3-4 Medium to large Haas avocados (use Haas for best results)
1-2 Ripe salad tomatoes (avoid Roma or plum tomatoes)
1-2 Cloves of garlic
1-2 Tbs. of lime juice (~½ lime)
1-2 Tbs. chopped cilantro leaves (stems removed)
1/4 Cup of grated white onion pulp (avoid red or yellow onions)
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/8 Tsp. fine grind white pepper
1/8 Tsp. of Crystal hot sauce (or Tabasco)

Pinch of ground cumin (use sparingly)
Pinch of Cayenne pepper

Preparation:
Squeeze the limejuice into the mixing bowl.
(This will acidulate the avocado to avoid any browning.)
Halve and seed the avocados and scoop out flesh into mixing bowl.
Peel and crush or finely mince the garlic and add to the avocado.
Peel half an onion and grate into the bowl using a fine tooth grater.
Peel (optional) the tomatoes for the finest texture.
Cut tomatoes in half across their equator.
Squeeze juice and seeds from tomatoes even if you do not peel them.
Chop the tomatoes finely, then add.
Wash and strip cilantro leaves, then mince and add.
Add salt, white pepper, ground cumin, hot sauce and Cayenne to taste.
Mix ingredients by mashing with the back of a fork.
Avoid over mixing and keep texture on the chunky side.
Adjust seasonings to taste (remember this will marry up for one hour).
Add the juice from the strained tomato seeds if mixture is too thick.
Finish the mixing and transfer to a serving dish.
Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the mix to avoid oxidation.
Chill for one to four hours before serving.

Decorate with a tomato rose and sprigs of the cilantro leaves.
DO NOT add any mayonnaise or sour cream to this, you will ruin it.

Important note:
However you make it, serve Guacamole with yellow corn chips.
For best results, deep fry your own yellow corn chips and serve warm.
Excellent as a topping for Flautas, Tostadas and Tacos.

Timesaver Hint:
Omit many steps by using a small can of Herdez brand “Salsa Casera”.
If you are in a hurry, follow the steps below.

Drain the salsa prior to use and add slowly to avocado mix.
Check for flavor and heat while adding the drained salsa.
Reserve juice from drained salsa to control the body of the final mix.
Add the crushed garlic and spices to taste.
Cover as shown above and chill before serving.
Be sure to allow ingredients to marry up for at least 1/2 hour.
You will have a good measure of heat from the salsa, so beware!

Here’s a soup recipe that I created last summer… FixedBack’s son, a pro chef, made it and invited FB and his wife over to have some…then called a little later and said, “Sorry, we kept eating and it’s all gone.”

ROASTED TOMATO AND RED BELL PEPPER SOUP
2 lbs. roma tomatoes
4 large red bell peppers
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups chicken broth
1 pint cream or half-and-half
Crème fraiche or sour cream for garnish

Set oven to broil. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place 3" or so under the broiler, turning frequently, until skins are completely burned and blistered. Place tomatoes in a large ziploc bag to steam and cool. Repeat with halved bell peppers. When cooled enough to handle, halve and seed tomatoes, then coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers and combine them in a bowl.

In a heavy soup pot, sauté chopped onion in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Lower heat to medium. Add tomatoes and peppers, along with any liquid they have given off; cook until tomatoes and peppers are soft and beginning to break down. Add basil, reserving a bit for garnish, and simmer for five minutes; add sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.

Purée tomato mixture in a blender or food mill, working in batches. Strain purée to remove any remaining fibers and return to pot (you want this to be as smooth as you can make it). Add chicken broth to desired consistency and simmer five additional minutes. Stir in cream. Serve hot with a dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream on top, sprinkled with reserved basil.

I love pesto. Right now, I have basil growing like mad all over my garden, so I made some the other day. It’s a very easy thing to make, and the only tool you need is a blender.

Traditional Pesto Sauce
(I won’t give amounts, as this is all done by taste–you may want it more garlicky, or cheesy, or basily)
Fresh Basil Leaves, coarsely chopped
Fresh Garlic Cloves
Pine Nuts
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Olive oil
Pinch of salt

Add the basil, garlic, nuts, and cheese into the blender, and start drizzling the oil as you turn it on. You may need to stop the blender, and stir/push down the leaves. Run the blender until a smooth sauce forms–you want it to be the same thickness as a marinara sauce–not so thick that it’s a paste, but thin enough to pour. Taste it, and add more garlic/cheese/basil as needed. Use immediately with cooked pasta, or if you need to store it for more than a few minutes, pour into a plastic container, and top with a layer of olive oil. The basil has a tendency to turn black when exposed to air, and the olive oil will create an air-tight seal to help keep the pesto green.

I got this from one of my co-workers (so far as I know, she made it up herself) and my husband and I eat it all the time now because it’s so damn easy to make:

Vicky’s Enchilada Lasagne

6" (taco size) corn or flour tortillas
1 lb. ground meat
1 packaga taco seasonings
1 can enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (we buy the pre-shredded Mexican blend)
1 can stewed tomatoes

Brown ground meat with taco seasonings.

Line the bottom of a baking dish (what’s the size? 9"x13"? You know, the standard big rectangular baking dish) with the torillas.

Cover them with 1/3 of the cheese.

Cover that with the ground meat.

Cover that with the stewed tomatoes.

Cover those with 1/3 of the cheese.

Cover that with more tortillas.

Pour enchilada sauce over top.

Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

Spread the rest of the cheese over top and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melty.

Yum yum yum.

Pina colada cake

2 20oz cans unsweetend pineapple chunks, drained
16 oz sour cream
Large tub of cool whip
About 1 cup coconut
1 large angel food cake torn into about 2 inch chunks

Mix sour cream with about 3/4 of the cool whip, add pineapple, and angel food cake chunks. Fold lightly and pour into 9x13 inch pan. Frost with remaining cool whip and top with coconut. Refrigerate at least 1 or 2 hours.

You can adjust this to your liking by substituting plain yogurt for the sour cream or adding more or less cool whip, sour cream or yogurt. This works well with many differnet fruits, especially mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries), peaches or really any old canned or frozen fruit you have on hand. Travels well.

If you were happy over the peppers in some of the other recipes try:

Scallops Louisiane

1lb scallops
1 Tblsp Cajun Seasoning
2 Tblsp Basil
3/4 cup Bass Ale
2 oz lemon juice
3/4 cup chopped green, red, & yellow bell peppers
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
5 lg cloves garlic
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1lb Angel Hair Pasta

Briefly sauté scallops with 1 half of the Basil, the Bass ale, the lemon juice and ½ Tblsp Cajun seasoning for 3 minutes and hold. Sauté garlic, onion, peppers and mushrooms in oil in large, deep skillet with remaining basil and Cajun seasoning. After 7-8 minutes overall add scallops mixture to skillet, turning over and heatthrough for 3-5 minutes. Add water if more sauce is desired. Add more Cajun seasoning to taste in final minutes if extra spicy is desired. Serve over angel hair pasta with a good French Bread. Serves about 4.

I KNOW how much EVERYONE loves fruitcake so here goes. My aunt Ruth got it from from a Buffalo New York newspaper nearly sixty years ago and it’s become a family tradition.

Fruitcake

2 cups raisins
2 cups currants
1 pound candied citron
1/2 pound candied orange peel
1/2 pound candied lemon peel
1/2 pound canied cherries(use green and red)
1 pound pitted dates(not the sugared ones)
1/2 pound candied pineapple(mixed colors)
1 pound shelled almonds*
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons mace
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 pound butter
4 cups light brown sugar
12 eggs
1/2 cups orange juice

*The recipe called for the almonds but the one thing my family has changed about this recipe is that we use pecans.

Rinse currants and raisins and rub in towel to dry. Mix all fruits and nuts in large pan. Mix salt, baking powder, spices and flour. Sift half of this mixture over the fruit/nut mix. Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs which have been well beaten. Fold in the orange juice. Stir in rest of spice/flour mixture. Pour over the fruit/nut mix and blend well. Fill well greased pans about 3/4 full. Any size pan will serve but if you use a little one baking time may have to be reduced, and if the pan is larger(say 9x5 bread pan) baking time may be increased slightly. If you line the bottom of the pan with waxed paper sticking will be eliminated. Bake at 300 degrees Farenheit for (about) 1 1/2 hours, and if furhter baking is required reduce heat to 275. They will be quite browned.
This recipe makes a LOT of fruitcake but hey, it’s something you do once a year. Wrapped well it can be frozen easily. If you have extra cherries or pieces of pineapple it’s fun to decorate the tops of the fruitcakes. Use them to make patterns and press gently into the mix just before baking.

Enjoy, and keep those fruitcake jokes coming!!!