Tips for a new contact lens wearer ...

My optometrist taught me my air bubble popping technique and it has a pretty high success rate.
Simply put a finger on the skin underneath your eye (you know, the bit where you can feel the edge of your eye sockect) and push up. Completely pain free, easy, and it will shift the contact just a little bit and pop any bubble. I do this and the contacts tend to only fall out when I’m too slow doing this.

Scrub your hands with soap THOROUGHLY before putting one in no matter how clean your hands or the contact is. Even if your contact’s completely sterile when you get it out of the solution it can become dirty enough to cause you pain just form the acids and dirt of your fingers.

Put in your contacts in very good light (I use direct sunlight) and look at the contact with your glasses on (I wear them at night and in the morning anyway) - this way you can actually see if they have dirt on them pretty easily. If there’s a little dirt, squirt cleaning solution over the thing, just enough to wash it off. If there’s a LOT of dirt, empty your contact case, pour completely new cleaning solution in and dunk it in there for about a minute, while you do your other eye.

You’d be surprised how much difference it makes to the whole pain thing.

One more tip just for free:
If while wearing the contacts you start blinking a LOT more, your eyes are trying out and the contacts will probably fall out within an hour. To combat this, just get saline or cleaning solution, go to a mirror, stand in front of it, and use it like an eyedrop. This will keep you going for hours, and all you have to do is carry a small bottle with you.

So what is to stop us from putting on surgical gloves to put in/remove contact lens AFTER handling hot peppers?
Or, for that matter, any time one has dirty hands?

These are all great suggestions! I might consider contacts now myself. I have been wearing glasses for 11 years now and have never even considered contacts. Even when I am not wearing glasses, I find myself pushing up against my nose :stuck_out_tongue:

I realize this is a zombie but I wanted to add something that took me from “very satisfied contact lens wearer of 10 years” to “Olympic level satisfaction contact lens wearer”.

Before you handle your lenses, wet the fingers you’ll be using with a little plain saline. I use my left index and thumb and my right index and thumb. Wetting them down gets off any of the little towel fuzzies that used to drive me mad, oh, once every few weeks later in the day.

Also, instead of going through pricey bottles of contact lens eye drops, keep one in your car and purse or car and backpack. At work and at your parents’ or good friends’ homes, store a small bottle of saline in the guest bathroom. If your lenses dry out, wash your hands, rinse your finger tips with saline, remove the lenses, rinse with saline and pop back in. INFINITELY more comfortable than even the best drops (which are Systane, BTW). I can see better and more quickly than putting in drops so the net “down time” decreases.