Tips for giving a cat pills, or how to effectively cover up the taste

To the vet: I can’t get my cat to swallow that!

Imgur

Last night went… not great.

Tuna was a complete fail. Coat the pills in tuna oil and set aside. Commence low speed chase around the house. Get both pills down him and then realize there’s blood all over Oliver’s chest and my finger is bleeding like crazy. He manages to get one pill up while I’m trying to wrap a paper towel around my finger.

Catch him again and this time wrap a blanket over his front legs and finally get the second pill down. Then carry the squirming cat to the sink to wet another paper towel and try to clean him up. Both cats are then rewarded with tuna.

There’s a third, chewable, antibiotic that he needs to take that up until now he’s happily scarfed down. But now he has decided he does not like it and won’t eat it even mixed in with something else.

This morning was more of a wrestling match. I think I got all the pills down him. He’s still refusing the chewable one. So today I’ll be picking up an eye dropper or two and a pill spitter.

Also, two of the three pills have to be split into either halves or fourths, so I’m not sure how to avoid him getting a taste.

Our oldest cat gets two pills and a capsule every day. In the morning I crush a pill, put it in the bowl, and pour a packet of Delectables bisque over it. I do the same with her evening pill, then sprinkle the contents of the capsule around it before adding the bisque. If she doesn’t finish it all, I put the bowl in the fridge and get it out the next time she asks for food. My wife does the same thing, but with half a tin of wet food instead of the bisque.

INABA Churu Bites Chicken Recipe wraps Tuna with Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Cat Treats, 0.35-oz, pack of 3 - Chewy.com

these are what i use. lager needs to take an anti nausea pill. i push the pill into one side, and use the goo that comes out to fill in. works better than pill pockets. the goo hides the pill.

A store near me has these in stock - I’ll try these tonight.

try to get the pill as close to middle as possible. i poke with knife tip or fork tine to get it in middle ish.

Ouch!

That seems quite risky. A struggling cat may suddenly move in any direction. I’d strongly advise not doing that. Try tweezers.

I think rocking_chair means into the middle of the pill-hiding thing. I did have that first “Whaaaa?” reaction to the wording, though, also.

Oh! That would indeed be a lot safer!

yes, use the pointy thing to get the pill in the middle of the treat. not the cat!

the idea is to “enrobe” the pill in the churu bite.

Apologies for the misunderstanding!